Comparing Indian High School Syllabus to MIT Lectures

In summary: I think a lot of foreigners have a more rigorous curriculim then the US. That is why I am jealous. I think most countries have students take multiple sciences starting in middle school. I am jealous I have a lot of people from India and the like and in my intro classes it was all review.Some people might think that because the lectures are at a basic level, that they are not worth watching. However, I think they are worth watching if you are interested in physics.
kini.Amith
I have seen some MIT lecture videos on you tube.i am a high school student of India and i can easily follow most of topics covered in these lectures. In fact we learn many of the topics in greater detail in high schools here in india.
Is this because the indian syllabus is rigorous or is this the case everywhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably the lectures are thought for students of a lower level or they are general introductory and students are supposed do the more rigorous stuff by themselves.

kini.Amith said:
I have seen some MIT lecture videos on you tube.

Watch some more before you comment. I am assuming you have seen Walter Lewin's course.

i am a high school student of India and i can easily follow most of topics covered in these lectures.

These lectures are at a very basic level.

Is this because the indian syllabus is rigorous or is this the case everywhere?

Good high school students across the globe should be able to follow these lectures. Again, I still assume you have watched Walter Lewin's series.

yes, i watched only walter lewin's, and i have watched many of them. Is it because they are basic that they are included on youtube?

I think a lot of foreigners have a more rigorous curriculim then the US. That is why I am jealous. I think most countries have students take multiple sciences starting in middle school. I am jealous I have a lot of people from India and the like and in my intro classes it was all review.

At the end of the day everyone ends up in the same spot...

Our education system sucks on the whole not all the fault lies on the teachers plenty of blame to go around

A bit also depends on what grade you are. If you are near the end of your high school career and have taken physics, those lectures should be on par with your knowledge. If you are a freshman, you are probably ahead of the curve. The introductory lectures are exactly that, introductory.

Moreover, in our system (as well as yours, perhaps?) physics is not mandatory. Thus, introductory physics courses do not assume any background in physics. Most don't assume any knowledge of calculus either. They just teach you the chain rule and don't do anything more complicated.

In our system, a typical high school student who has taken physics should know the stuff in the Lewin lectures. A lot of students (especially at MIT) would have had high school courses far more rigorous. But not every student has had physics. In our system, if you have had physics in high school, you can test out of the introductory lectures. And at many schools they offer an algebra based course, a calculus based course, and an honors course (aimed at physics majors with a VERY strong background).

Hope that helps!

kini.Amith said:
yes, i watched only walter lewin's, and i have watched many of them. Is it because they are basic that they are included on youtube?

No. For example you can see the videos of the professor Susskind. (Classical Mechanics, Relativity, etc.)

Related to Comparing Indian High School Syllabus to MIT Lectures

1. What are the major differences between the Indian High School Syllabus and MIT Lectures?

The Indian High School Syllabus generally focuses on rote learning and memorization, while MIT Lectures prioritize critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Additionally, the Indian syllabus is typically more content-heavy and covers a wider range of subjects, while MIT lectures delve deeper into specific topics.

2. How does the level of difficulty compare between the Indian High School Syllabus and MIT Lectures?

The level of difficulty in the Indian High School Syllabus may vary depending on the specific board or state, but in general, it is considered to be lower than that of MIT Lectures. MIT lectures are designed for college-level students and therefore tend to be more challenging.

3. Are the teaching methods and resources used in Indian High Schools similar to those used in MIT Lectures?

No, the teaching methods and resources used in Indian High Schools differ significantly from those used in MIT Lectures. Indian High Schools often rely on textbooks and traditional lectures, while MIT lectures use a combination of lectures, problem-solving sessions, and hands-on activities.

4. How does the Indian High School Syllabus prepare students for higher education compared to MIT Lectures?

The Indian High School Syllabus provides a strong foundation in core subjects and helps students develop good study habits and discipline. However, MIT Lectures prepare students for higher education by focusing on critical thinking, research skills, and practical application of knowledge.

5. Are there any similarities between the Indian High School Syllabus and MIT Lectures?

While there are significant differences between the two, there are also some similarities. Both the Indian High School Syllabus and MIT Lectures aim to impart knowledge and skills to students and prepare them for their future academic and professional pursuits. Both also have a focus on science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) education.