Comparing Generalised Momentum Calculations for Central Force Problems

In summary: Comparing those two ways of calculating the momentum requires completelyexpressing ##\vec{r} \times \vec{P}## in terms of ##r## and ##\phi## and their derivatives. Including the extra angle makes it hard to compare them.
WWCY

Homework Statement

I have an issue with understanding the idea of generalised momentum for the Lagrangian.

For a central force problem, the Lagrangian is given by,
$$L = \frac{1}{2}m(\dot{r} ^2 + p^2 \dot{\phi ^2}) - U(r)$$
with ##r## being radial distance.

The angular momentum is then,
$$P_{\phi} = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\phi}} = mr^2\dot{\phi}$$

Without the Lagrangian, I would have started with,
$$P_{\phi} = \vec{r} \times \vec{P}$$
$$|P_{\phi}| = rP\sin (\theta)$$
$$|P_{\phi}| = rmv \sin (\theta)$$
with ##\theta## being the angle between the two vectors, which I think can be reduced with the equation
$$v = r\dot{\phi}$$
and angular momentum is,
$$|P_{\phi}| = mr^2 \dot{\phi} \sin (\theta)$$
which varies significantly.

Could someone kindly
a) Explain the errors in my assumptions
b) Explain how I should have altered my "Newtonian" working in order to derive the same result as the Lagrangian method?

Thanks!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
v = rφ' is true only when the v and r vectors are perpendicular, as in circular motion. More generally, rφ' = v sinθ.

mjc123 said:
v = rφ' is true only when the v and r vectors are perpendicular, as in circular motion. More generally, rφ' = v sinθ.

Hi, thanks for the response.

But this means that the particle in the Lagrangian problem has to be moving in a circular motion, which needn't be the case, no?

No, the Lagrangian is general (as shown by the term in r'2, which is 0 for circular motion.)

mjc123 said:
No, the Lagrangian is general (as shown by the term in r'2, which is 0 for circular motion.)

Do you mind explaining why ##v\sin \theta = r \dot{\phi}##?

Thank you.

diagram.png

Hope this helps

Attachments

• diagram.png
    diagram.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 703
Likes WWCY
mjc123 said:
View attachment 215433
Hope this helps

If you want to compare those two ways of calculating the momentum you need to express ##\vec{r} \times \vec{P}## completely in terms of ##r## and ##\phi## and their derivatives. Putting in the extra angle ##\theta## makes it hard to compare them.

Related to Comparing Generalised Momentum Calculations for Central Force Problems

What is generalised momentum?

Generalised momentum is a concept in physics that describes the product of an object's mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity that represents the quantity of motion of an object in a specific direction.

Why is generalised momentum important?

Generalised momentum is important because it helps us understand and describe the motion and interactions of objects in the physical world. It is a fundamental concept in classical mechanics and is used to solve problems related to motion, collisions, and forces.

How is generalised momentum different from regular momentum?

Regular momentum is a specific type of generalised momentum that only takes into account linear motion. Generalised momentum, on the other hand, can describe the motion of an object in any direction, including rotational and translational motion.

What is the equation for calculating generalised momentum?

The equation for generalised momentum is P = mv, where P is the generalised momentum, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity. In vector form, it is written as P = m * v.

Can generalised momentum be conserved?

Yes, generalised momentum can be conserved in a closed system where there are no external forces acting on the objects. This means that the total generalised momentum before and after a collision or interaction remains constant.