Commenting on Insights in the forum

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary, the Insights page is sluggish on my computer, but I can still see the "Discuss In The Community" link at the bottom of the article.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
How can I get from an article in the Insights section to the thread in the regular forum that comments on it ?

Occasionally, I see a notice in the forums that so-and-so has posted an insight and this links to thread where comments on the insight can be made with the same editor that is used for the forums. But when I look at an Insight directly, I don't see a way to get to a place where I can use the forum editor.

- and is the editor in Insights section supposed to have a preview option ?

Physics news on Phys.org
There should be a button link at the end of the article content that takes you to the forum comment thread

Greg Bernhardt said:
There should be a button link at the end of the article content that takes you to the forum comment thread

That's bad news ! The Insights section is sluggish on my computer. Scrolling down a page that has a lot of mathematical symbols and a lot of comments takes a long time.

Is there a way to find the comments-on-insights threads from the main forum ? Do new comments appear under "Forums ->new posts" ?

Stephen Tashi said:
The Insights section is sluggish on my computer.

I can't read the Insights on my iPad (version 1). It is sluggish now on many websites, but the Insights just won't "load" at all. I have to read them on another computer.

As a workaround, I sometimes do a text search for "Discuss in the Community" in an insights article. This directly takes me to the link to the discussion in the forum.

I have considered disabling comments shown in the article to end the confusion.

Stephen Tashi said:
Is there a way to find the comments-on-insights threads from the main forum ? Do new comments appear under "Forums ->new posts" ?
In the forum, insights threads are just regular forum threads, so they should appear in the same way all other threads do.

If I edit a comment to an Insight in the forum, does that edit (eventually) get made on the comments on the Insights page?

Given current technology, I think it would less confusing to have the full comments only appear in the forum. For one thing, lengthy comments on the Insight page can discourage people from reading the Insight, just because it makes the Insight page take a long time to load. The Insight page could contain some abbreviation of the comment - like the first line of it. (That would encourage commentators to use apt "topic sentences" to begin their comments.)

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Stephen Tashi said:
If I edit a comment to an Insight in the forum, does that edit (eventually) get made on the comments on the Insights page?
Yes it should load fresh from XF thread each time

Greg Bernhardt said:
Yes it should load fresh from XF thread each time

My first comment on the Insights page to "Acoustic 'beats' from mismatched musical frequencies" has (at the moment) a wrong link, but in the "Discuss In The Community" thread, my edit of that link in the first post was implemented.

Related to Commenting on Insights in the forum

1. What is the purpose of commenting on insights in the forum?

Commenting on insights in the forum allows for further discussion and analysis of the insights presented. It also allows for collaboration and sharing of knowledge and perspectives among forum participants.

2. How do I comment on insights in the forum?

To comment on insights in the forum, you can click on the "comment" or "reply" button below the specific insight you want to respond to. This will open a text box where you can type in your comment and then click "submit" to post it.

3. Can I edit or delete my comments on insights in the forum?

Yes, you can edit or delete your comments on insights in the forum. Simply click on the three dots next to your comment and select the appropriate option. Keep in mind that once you delete a comment, it cannot be recovered.

4. Is there a limit to the length of comments on insights in the forum?

There is no specific limit to the length of comments on insights in the forum. However, it is recommended to keep your comments concise and relevant to the topic being discussed.

5. How can I make my comments on insights in the forum more meaningful and valuable?

To make your comments on insights in the forum more meaningful and valuable, try to provide additional insights, examples, or evidence to support your points. You can also ask thoughtful questions or engage in respectful debates with other participants to further deepen the discussion.