Collection of Science Jokes P2

In summary: Usually it's been commentated as being 'real'. Actually the joke dates back to the 30's and whether it's real or not cannot be said anymore.
  • #1,856
Was that test in 1997?

Not even the question makes sense. Cancer is not a single disease, it's a large range of diseases. Some are well curable, some are not.

This question can be found in various solution databases, and none of them seem to care that the question and the supposed answer make no sense.

Likes davenn, Frigus and atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,857
mfb said:
Was that test in 1997?
Yes,this question was from 1997.
mfb said:
This question can be found in various solution databases, and none of them seem to care that the question and the supposed answer make no sense.
That was the first reason for which i
posted the question here.
There are always some questions in this exam which technically don't makes sense but are Just taken from book lines.

• #1,858
Hemant said:
Yes,this question was from 1997.
That means the two decades are fully in the past now. But cancer is still around.

Likes jbriggs444
  • #1,859
1599308761728.png

Likes davenn, DanielMB, DennisN and 1 other person
  • #1,860
Let's hope they never meet.

Likes etotheipi, Wrichik Basu and BillTre
  • #1,861
Astrophysicists prove Big Bang was result of gender reveal party gone wrong
STANFORD – The physics world has been turned on its head today by incontrovertible proof that our material universe began when a gender reveal party 15 billion years ago resulted in an explosion so huge it created reality as we know it.

“We’ve been studying the clues left over by the Big Bang for decades, but it wasn’t until one of our physicists lost their own home in a devastating forest fire caused by a recent gender reveal party that they were able to put two and two together,” said Dr. Laura Fredericks, the head of the University of Stanford’s Department of Theoretical Astrophysics.

“What we’d always seen as puzzling and even contradictory aspects of the background radiation from the Big Bang turns out to be the galactic equivalent of coloured glitter pushed out of a cannon at speeds high enough to destroy the dimension it was a part of and birth our own.”

While the Big Bang theory has always been able to account for what happened just after the universe was created, it’s only now that physics has a solid template for explaining what happened before, during what scientists are calling The Blowout.

“Putting together the data we’ve gathered from the makeup of our universe, we can extrapolate that The Blowout was catered primarily with dark matter, that the decorations were composed mostly of dark energy, and that whoever threw it was the biggest moron in the history and prehistory of the cosmos,” Dr. Fredericks said.

Now that the theoretical physics community knows how the Big Bang happened, they are focusing on trying to work out whether the vast amounts of hydrogen it released was supposed to symbolize a boy or girl.

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes DennisN, collinsmark, jack action and 3 others
  • #1,863
Eggs clearly came before chickens.
Chicken evolved from other egg laying birds.

Likes Wrichik Basu and Ibix
  • #1,864
BillTre said:
...just me, then. :blushing:

Likes BillTre and etotheipi
  • #1,866
Ibix said:
Anybody else having to resist an urge to pop into the Life on Earth -- Which appeared first thread and start a flame war over whether it was the chicken or the egg?
BillTre said:
bba49105b8bde3ecfba477d8c8d73ee2.jpg

• Haha
Likes davenn, Ibix, BillTre and 1 other person
  • #1,867
8dc25730cf8a01381ffe005056a9545d.gif

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes Demystifier, Wrichik Basu, collinsmark and 5 others
  • #1,868
main-qimg-76e2739491cfafddc75f44e522051dbc.png

• Haha
Likes davenn, DennisN, 256bits and 2 others
  • #1,869
Often statistics are used as a drunken man uses lampposts -- for support rather than illumination.

Likes DennisN, 256bits, BillTre and 1 other person
  • #1,870
Hmm. What are the odds of that?

• #1,871
Borg said:
If you express those odds as an integer ratio, without common factors, then I'll bet one of the integers will be odd.

• #1,872
Borg said:
Expressed as a probability, not discernable from 100%.

• #1,873
Did you already realize how mathematicians are dramatics and are nice actors?
They know a statement is false, they start to try to prove the false, acting like someone who doesn't know what is doing, and in the final they simply yelled like a dramatic theater: BUT THAT IS ABSURD!

• Haha
  • Love
Likes DennisN and Keith_McClary
  • #1,874
hahaha totally cracked me up ...

giphy.gif

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes DennisN, Bystander, BillTre and 3 others
  • #1,875
48228a10dce401382464005056a9545d.gif

• Haha
Likes davenn, BillTre, Wrichik Basu and 1 other person
  • #1,876
basic.jpg

• Wow
  • Informative
Likes Demystifier, collinsmark and Keith_McClary
  • #1,877
Dijkstra went to work for Burroughs in 1973. Burroughs Large Systems were unusual in that words were tagged, stack based, with the OS programmed in a derivative of ALGOL 60. Dijkstra wrote that statement regarding BASIC while working with Burroughs, in structured ALGOL 60.

How did we define “good programming” back in 1975? If it worked it was good.
BASIC has changed since then. Gone are the line numbers and the GOTO.

I learned BASIC in 1974. We used a room full of IBM ASCII hand punches to over-punch 80 column cards with EBCDIC characters, to run on a Burroughs 6700. Programming was “practically impossible” so I learned to punch the cards in my sleep. I never used BASIC in anger, because I immediately started programming real world hydrology simulations in FORTRAN IV, the roman numerals really date it.

Likes DennisN
  • #1,878
Got this from a friend a while ago, hilarious: :smile:

NoiseCare-m.jpg

• Haha
Likes davenn, Wrichik Basu, Keith_McClary and 4 others
  • #1,879
Didn't somebody (Dave Barry?) suggest that SETI should probably first turn its sophisticated search for signs of intelligence on to Congress? Applies to a lot of social media, too.

• Haha
Likes BillTre and DennisN
  • #1,880
Ibix said:
Didn't somebody (Dave Barry?) suggest that SETI should probably first turn its sophisticated search for signs of intelligence on to Congress? Applies to a lot of social media, too.
Wouldn't the Drake Equation for those be too small?

• Haha
Likes DennisN and 256bits
  • #1,881
The number of intelligent people you might meet on social media can be estimated as
N = P fintel fintern fintri finterm findiv (1-findiff) finit
where
P is the current world population
fintel is the fraction of intelligent people
fintern is the fraction of internet users among intelligent people
fintri is the intricate estimate of the fraction of intelligent internet users using social media
fintermit is the fraction of time they use social media
findiv is the fraction of time you use social media
findiff is the probability you don't want to meet a given person
finit is the probability one of you initiates communication

Homework problem: Prove fintri < ##\epsilon##

• Haha
Likes Demystifier, DennisN, 256bits and 5 others
  • #1,882
impostor.jpg

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes DennisN, Keith_McClary, etotheipi and 1 other person
  • #1,884
I know there is a random math paper generator, but I didn't know they have the same for physics.

From largely the same group of authors is this masterpiece. So obviously nonsense that even the predatory journal that originally published it had to retract it.
These people publish quite a lot together. Botulin Toxin Use in Rosacea and Facial Flushing Treatment, Beta Blockers and Melanoma, ...
I can't judge the last two but at least they come without physics woo. Are they equally nonsense? If yes, then these people just write a bunch of nonsense. If not, I wonder what makes them produce these ridiculous papers once in a while.

Would be fun to mail some of the authors notifying them that someone fraudulently included their name on a crank paper and see what comes back.

Likes BillTre and etotheipi
  • #1,885
mfb said:
mail some of the authors notifying them that someone fraudulently included their name on a crank paper and see what comes back.
You are hereby elected to carry out the proposal!
We expect a full report within 30 days.

• #1,887
OK, this one is the best prank I've seen in a long time:

suckers.png

• Haha
Likes Filip Larsen, DennisN and Ibix
  • #1,889
When scientists insult each other:

insults.jpg

• Haha
Likes EHope, DennisN, gmax137 and 3 others
  • #1,890
Originality is a constant.It disappears whenever you form derivatives.

Likes EHope, jack action, BillTre and 1 other person