CocaCola or Pepsi - The human sense of taste & flavor

• Thread starter symbolipoint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Human
In summary: Heh. Well, yes. But I mean in particular after getting used to Diet.Many years ago I had a truckdriver neighbor. Some of his deliveries were to one of the above-named soft drink makers.One of the things he would bring up in conversations was how the concrete loading docks were being dissolved by some of the ingredients.Most likely Phosphoric Acid.He refused to drink their products!I have no principal problem with additives though, nature is full of chemicals. Life would also be boring if you had to stay away from everything. I see no concern with phosphoric acid in moderation, it is not something unnatural per see. But it wouldn't drink a gallon a day
kyphysics said:
I'd like to think the same, but I'm going to try a blind Pepsi vs. Coke taste test after reading this thread. Lots of Coke lovers surprisingly say they like Pepsi better with blindfolds on. I find Pepsi too sweet for me and I like the slightly bitter taste that Coke has. . .

But, who knows...maybe without the brand labeling and JUST my senses (blindfolded), I'd find msyelf enjoying Pepsi more. I shudder to think it'd be true. It would overturn decades of preference. . .we shall see!

When Walmart opens at 6AM today, I'll buy both.
We will be interested what you find with your test.

Biology news on Phys.org
kyphysics said:
I'd like to think the same, but I'm going to try a blind Pepsi vs. Coke taste test after reading this thread.

Do a triangle test. It's a little better than just A vs B.

One thing that has been said about the original Pepsi challenge is that by asking people to take little sips of each soda they weren't replicating what people actually do: drink whole cans of the stuff. So something that tastes sweeter might be preferred initially but when you have 12oz of it the less sweet beverage wins. Or at least that's the theory.

The non-diet version of Pepsi is of course the subject of the original challenge but I drink diet soda. And I don't need to take the diet Pepsi challenge. The difference in the taste between Diet Pepsi and Diet Coke is so pronounced that, although brand recognition does matter and surely does affect me, I know with certainty that I can tell them apart. Pepsi tastes like dirt to me. I put some dirt in my mouth when I was about 7 years old. I remember that taste. It's the same taste as Diet Pepsi.

The name "Pepsi" sounds flimsy and insubstantial. Definitely not something to swallow. Dyspepsia. Dirt.

In contrast, "Coke" sounds strong, invigorating. Cocaine. I can hear Eric Clapton cranking those power chords.

Likes Bystander
kyphysics said:
I'd like to think the same, but I'm going to try a blind Pepsi vs. Coke taste test after reading this thread. Lots of Coke lovers surprisingly say they like Pepsi better with blindfolds on. I find Pepsi too sweet for me and I like the slightly bitter taste that Coke has. . .
When Coca Cola tested New Coke, which was sweeter than Classic Coke, most people said they preferred it as well.

JT Smith said:
One thing that has been said about the original Pepsi challenge is that by asking people to take little sips of each soda they weren't replicating what people actually do: drink whole cans of the stuff. So something that tastes sweeter might be preferred initially but when you have 12oz of it the less sweet beverage wins. Or at least that's the theory.
It wasn't really a fair test since most Americans already knew what Coke and Pepsi tasted like, and they're easy to tell apart.

When I was younger, I usually drank Pepsi even though I preferred the taste of Coke because I found I'd get an upset stomach about an hour after drinking a 12-oz can of Coke, but not with Pepsi.

JT Smith said:
The non-diet version of Pepsi is of course the subject of the original challenge but I drink diet soda. And I don't need to take the diet Pepsi challenge. The difference in the taste between Diet Pepsi and Diet Coke is so pronounced that, although brand recognition does matter and surely does affect me, I know with certainty that I can tell them apart. Pepsi tastes like dirt to me. I put some dirt in my mouth when I was about 7 years old. I remember that taste. It's the same taste as Diet Pepsi.
When I was a teenager, I tried a Diet Pepsi once because regular Pepsi wasn't available. I recall it being pretty foul. I had a Diet Pepsi once a few years ago, and it wasn't as disgusting as I remembered it. The absolute worst soft drink I ever tried, however, was Tab.

Last edited:
In light of recent events, how about a Royal Crown cola?

Gimme an RC Cola and a Moon Pie!

Credit Big Bill Lister, though I heard it first from NRBQ

About post #39, RC Cola,
I remember drinking a few times, and just recently tried a web search for "tast test" information. Nothing found, but as much as I remember, it was like Pepsi Cola. Not remember exactly. As good as either Pepsi or CokaCola.

I don't think drink soda anymore (3 years), and even then a rare treat.

But had my first coke yesterday night a while. Great beverage! Which I highly prefer over Pepsi.

Now, even tho I have smoke for years, I could easily distinguish between Coke and Pepsi. I find Pepsi a bit too sweet. Now, RC Cola is the better drink!

MidgetDwarf said:
I don't think drink soda anymore (3 years), and even then a rare treat.

But had my first coke yesterday night a while. Great beverage! Which I highly prefer over Pepsi.

Now, even tho I have smoke for years, I could easily distinguish between Coke and Pepsi. I find Pepsi a bit too sweet. Now, RC Cola is the better drink!
Would you tell how RC differs?

vela said:
When Coca Cola tested New Coke, which was sweeter than Classic Coke, most people said they preferred it as well.
Sure they did. That's why it was an abject failure as product.

symbolipoint said:
Would you tell how RC differs?
Better cola flavor!

phinds said:
Sure they did. That's why it was an abject failure as product.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/new-coke-fiasco/

Enter New Coke... It tasted smoother and sweeter than original Coke, more like Pepsi. Sounds like a good idea so far, eh? Well, it sounded like an even better one when the results came in from a battery of taste tests utilizing the new formula. People said they liked the new Coke better than Coca-Cola or Pepsi, and by a significant factor, too. Taste for taste, it was a winner.
So what happened? When Coke went ahead with its plan, an immediate and very loud outcry was raised. Long before they’d tasted a sip of it, millions of Americans had decided they hated New Coke. Yes, in blind taste tests people had consistently said they liked the new formula better. However, a soft drink is so much more than merely its flavor; a soda is also its marketing. Coke had spent more than a hundred years convincing the North American population that its product was an integral part of their lives, their very identities. Taste be damned: to do away with Coca-Cola was to rip something vital from the American soul.

I'm amused that nobody gives wine snobs a second though: "Aromas of dark stone fruit...with some blackcurrant and cedar...nay, two-by-fours from Home Depot...stomped on by the great MacDonald Berger..." but the though of telling the difference between Coke and Pepsi, well that's just crazy talk.

And what is stone fruit anyway?

• Haha
Likes DaveC426913
Vanadium 50 said:
I'm amused that nobody gives wine snobs a second though: "Aromas of dark stone fruit...with some blackcurrant and cedar...nay, two-by-fours from Home Depot...stomped on by the great MacDonald Berger..."
My friend imparted some sobering wisdom on me. He said "Every vice has an element of varietal testing. Wine, cigars, etc. It's a fun and amusing hobby - as long as the hobbyists don't make the mistake of taking themselves too seriously."

• Wow
Likes symbolipoint
DaveC426913 said:
My friend imparted some sobering wisdom on me. He said "Every vice has an element of varietal testing. Wine, cigars, etc. It's a fun and amusing hobby - as long as the hobbyists don't make the mistake of taking themselves too seriously."
Just maybe, some people exist who have much higher sensitivity about flavors and odors than everybody else; and these people can really find the differences and identify the kinds of odors or scents or flavors more accurately. I can do something like this with some foods, but there are still some individuals who can do it more finely than I.

Likes DaveC426913
Personally, I thought it was an abject failure as a product because it tasted AWFUL. I tried getting used to it but absolutely could not.