Clock problem involving displacement

In summary: So for the first time interval, from a quarter after the hour to half past, the magnitude of the displacement of the tip is 5 cm and the angle is 90 degrees. For the next half hour, the magnitude is 10 cm (a full revolution) and the angle is 180 degrees. And for the hour after that, the magnitude is 20 cm (two full revolutions) and the angle is 360 degrees.In summary, the magnitude and angle of the displacement of the tip of a wall clock measuring 10 cm from its tip to the axis are to be determined for three time intervals. The first interval from a quarter after the hour to half past has a magnitude of
halenb

Homework Statement

the minute hand of a wall clock measures 10 cm from its tip to the axis about which it rotates. the magnitude and angle of the displacement of the tip are to be determined for three time intervals. what are a) magnitude and b) angle from a quarter after the hour to half past, the c) magnitude and d) angle for the next half hour and the e) magnitude and f) angle for the hour after that

Homework Equations

I'm not sure...

The Attempt at a Solution

the only thing I was able to come up with is that for B) i know that's a 90 degree change, D) that's a 180 degree change and F) is a 360 degree change

Physics news on Phys.org
halenb said:

Homework Statement

the minute hand of a wall clock measures 10 cm from its tip to the axis about which it rotates. the magnitude and angle of the displacement of the tip are to be determined for three time intervals. what are a) magnitude and b) angle from a quarter after the hour to half past, the c) magnitude and d) angle for the next half hour and the e) magnitude and f) angle for the hour after that

Homework Equations

I'm not sure...

The Attempt at a Solution

the only thing I was able to come up with is that for B) i know that's a 90 degree change, D) that's a 180 degree change and F) is a 360 degree change

Have you guys studied radians?

and...

Angular displacement vs. distance?

we haven't really done a lot with radians but we have/are studying angular displacement but not vs distance

halenb said:
we haven't really done a lot with radians but we have/are studying angular displacement but not vs distance

Let us assume then that your teacher wants magnitude in cm or meters.

The hand of a clock is really the radius of a circle if the tip is considered the point of interest. So how much of a circle does the hand make given your question(s). I think you might have used C = 2(pi)r, yes? for the circumference of a circle? Well if you substitute r = what you were given in the problem for the distance from the middle of the clock to the tip, you have the distance the tip travels if it goes one full revolution or one full circumference.

Now if the hand does not go a full circumference, or revolution, then it goes some part of
2(pi)r...

For example, if the hand moves 90 degrees is this not 1/4 of a circumference or revolution...?
I think you see where I am leading you, yes?

yes that makes sense to find the distance it travels but, I am still not sure how to find the magnitude of each of them...? do i use the distance to figure that out?

or do i just do 10+10+ whatever the distance was

halenb said:
yes that makes sense to find the distance it travels but, I am still not sure how to find the magnitude of each of them...? do i use the distance to figure that out?

The magnitude is the distance or possibly angular displacement. Magnitude just means an amount without reguard to direction. So it is merely asking about how far did the tip go.

But do you need to put it in cm or radians or both...
Thats why I was asking you in similar problems if you had used radians.

I think it was asking for cm

Related to Clock problem involving displacement

What is a clock problem involving displacement?

A clock problem involving displacement is a mathematical problem where the position or location of a moving object is determined at specific times. This type of problem is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the displacement or distance traveled by an object.

What are the key components of a clock problem involving displacement?

The key components of a clock problem involving displacement are time, distance, and speed. Time represents the specific moments at which the position of the object is measured, distance is the total amount of ground covered by the object, and speed is the rate at which the object is moving.

How do you solve a clock problem involving displacement?

To solve a clock problem involving displacement, you can use the formula d = st, where d is the distance traveled, s is the speed, and t is the time. Simply plug in the given values and solve for the missing component.

What units are used in a clock problem involving displacement?

The units used in a clock problem involving displacement depend on the given information. Time is typically measured in seconds, distance can be measured in meters, kilometers, or miles, and speed can be measured in meters per second, kilometers per hour, or miles per hour.

Can a clock problem involving displacement be solved using different units?

Yes, as long as the units are used consistently throughout the problem, a clock problem involving displacement can be solved using different units. However, it is important to convert the units to make sure they are consistent before solving the problem.