Clock, calculate displacement, avg. velocity, avg. acceleration.

In summary, the clock has a 20 cm minute hand that displacement vector is -20i+20j, the average velocity vector is -4/3i+4/3j cm/min, and the average acceleration vector is 45 degrees towards the 2 o'clock/3 o'clock position.
timnswede

Homework Statement

A clock has a 20 cm minute hand. From the 6 PM mark to the 9 PM mark, for the tip of the minute hand, calculate:
a. the displacement vector in unit-vector notation.
b. the average velocity vector in unit-vector notation.
c. the average acceleration vector in unit-vector notation.
d. calculate the magnitude and direction of the average acceleration vector.

2. The attempt at a solution
a. I named my 6 PM vector B and my 9 PM vector A. A=-20i and B=-20j. A-B=C(the displacement vector) which equals -20i+20j

b. V=(-20i+20j)/15min= -4/3i+4/3j cm/min

c. Vi=Vf=40∏/60=2∏/3
Vi=-2∏/3i
Vf= 2∏/3j
Aave= (2∏/3i+2∏/3j)/15min = 2∏/45i+2∏/45j cm/min^2

d. √((2∏/45)^2)+(2∏/45)^2) = .197 cm
tanΘ=2∏/45/2∏/45 = 45°

I am not sure if I did b, c, or d right.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
b. Why did you introduce pi into your answer?

c. Vi and Vf are wrong directions.

d. Wrong units. And technically tanθ ≠45°.

Last edited:
Oh shoot, I didn't mean to put pi in for part b, I'll edit that. But for part c I used it to find the velocity of the minute hand, the circumference divided by the time it takes the minute hand to do one rotation.

c. Why are Vi and Vf wrong directions? Wouldn't the velocity at 6 PM be to the left so it would be negative and at 9 PM it would be straight up so it would be positive?

d. And I am not sure what the units are supposed to be then, but the angle is wrong because of what I did wrong in part b I am assuming.

Last edited:
c. But you defined 6PM to be your A vector = -20i. Your velocity can't be in the same direction.

d. What are the units for acceleration? I think you got the right answer for θ, you just stated it wrong as tanθ.

Ah, it was supposed to be the other way, my A vector is 9 PM, and my 6 PM is my B vector. Sorry, i need to work on organization apparently.
Oh, I was thinking of magnitude as a unit of length for some reason, but it would be cm/min^2 then.
Is my average acceleration vector right then?

I didn't check your numbers in detail but your answer says the average acceleration is 45 degrees towards the 2 o'clock/3 o'clock position. Intuitively that seems right to me.

Likes 1 person

Related to Clock, calculate displacement, avg. velocity, avg. acceleration.

What is a clock?

A clock is a device used to measure and display the passage of time.

How do you calculate displacement?

Displacement is calculated by subtracting the initial position from the final position. It is a vector quantity that represents the straight-line distance and direction from the starting point to the end point.

What is average velocity?

Average velocity is the rate at which an object changes its position. It is calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time taken.

What is average acceleration?

Average acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

How are displacement, average velocity, and average acceleration related?

Displacement, average velocity, and average acceleration are all measurements related to an object's motion. Displacement is the change in position, average velocity is the change in position over time, and average acceleration is the change in velocity over time. These quantities are all important in describing the motion of an object.