Clebsch-Gordan coefficients calculation

In summary, the student is trying to solve a set of equations for Clebsch-Gordan coefficients, but is having difficulty with the right side. He is using the lowering operator to get the coefficients in the first representation, but is having trouble getting the coefficients on the right side. He gets the first coefficients in the correct order by using the triangle rule.
abcs22

Homework Statement

So i have to calculate the Clebsch-gordan coefficients for the state j1=3/2 and j2=1/2[/B]

Homework Equations

Recursiom formula, lowering and uppering operator[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to calculate the first set of the coefficients stating that:
L- l2,2> = L- l3/2,1/2>l1/2,1/2>

For the left side I got that it is equal to 2hl2,1>. Is that correct? I can't get the right coefficients on the right side. In general, I have trouble understanding which combinations of j and m to use tobget what I have to do. Is there some procedure to get all of them in order? Right now I am trying to guess what to use and see if I get the right combination.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
abcs22 said:
For the left side I got that it is equal to 2hl2,1>. Is that correct?
Yes.

abcs22 said:
I can't get the right coefficients on the right side.
You should start from the states in the two representations which are proportional to each other. One of such states are ##|3/2,3/2\rangle |1/2,1/2\rangle## and ##|2,2\rangle##. Therefore, ##|2,2\rangle = c|3/2,3/2\rangle |1/2,1/2\rangle##. The constant of proportionality ##c## is in general a unimodular complex number, but conventionally it is chosen to be ##1##. Thus ##|2,2\rangle = |3/2,3/2\rangle |1/2,1/2\rangle##. Then apply the lowering operator on both sides like you have done and in the RHS, use ##L_- = L_{1-}+L_{2-}##.

Last edited:
abcs22 said:
For the left side I got that it is equal to 2hl2,1>. Is that correct?

Yes, assuming that h means ##\hbar##.

abcs22 said:
In general, I have trouble understanding which combinations of j and m to use tobget what I have to do. Is there some procedure to get all of them in order?
Given that you are adding together ##j_1## and ##j_2##, then the allowed values of ##J## are
$$
J = j_1 + j_2, j_1+j_2 - 1, \ldots, \left| j_1 - j_2 \right|
$$
Second, the triangle rule has to be followed: ##M = m_1 + m_2##. So in the case you have, the result will have to be 0 since ##M = 2## while ##m_1+m_2 = 1##.

Thank you! I got the first ones:
I2,1> =√3/2 I1/2,1/2> + 1/2 I3/2,-1/2>

Is that ok? I tried applying lowering again on this expression but didn't get the solution. How do I know where to use the operator next?

abcs22 said:
Is that ok?
If that square root applies only on the 3 in the numerator, then it's fine.
abcs22 said:
I tried applying lowering again on this expression but didn't get the solution. How do I know where to use the operator next?
Why won't it work? To get |2,0> you should indeed apply the lowering operator once more on both sides. Maybe you just made a mistake during calculation.

abcs22 said:
Thank you! I got the first ones:
I2,1> =√3/2 I1/2,1/2> + 1/2 I3/2,-1/2>
That's not correct, check the values of ##j_!## and ##j_2##.

DrClaude said:
That's not correct, check the values of ##j_!## and ##j_2##.
Actually he is using ##|m_1,m_2\rangle## notation on the RHS while the values of ##j_1## and ##j_2## are only implied.

blue_leaf77 said:
Actually he is using ##|m_1,m_2\rangle## notation on the RHS while the values of ##j_1## and ##j_2## are only implied.
Right o:) Nevermind...

Related to Clebsch-Gordan coefficients calculation

What are Clebsch-Gordan coefficients and how are they used in calculations?

Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are mathematical values used in quantum physics to describe the coupling of angular momenta between two particles. They are used to calculate the probability of a certain outcome in a quantum mechanical system where two particles interact with each other.

What is the formula for calculating Clebsch-Gordan coefficients?

The formula for calculating Clebsch-Gordan coefficients involves the use of Wigner 3-j symbols and a summation over all possible values of the quantum numbers for the two particles. The exact formula can be found in many textbooks on quantum mechanics or online resources.

What are the factors that affect the value of Clebsch-Gordan coefficients?

The value of Clebsch-Gordan coefficients depends on the quantum numbers of the two particles involved, their spin values, and the specific state of the system. The coefficients also follow certain selection rules based on the conservation of angular momentum and parity.

Why are Clebsch-Gordan coefficients important in quantum physics?

Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are important because they allow us to predict the behavior of quantum mechanical systems involving the interaction of two particles. They also provide a way to understand the symmetries and properties of the system, and can be used to calculate other physical quantities such as transition probabilities.

Are there any alternative methods for calculating Clebsch-Gordan coefficients?

While the traditional method for calculating Clebsch-Gordan coefficients involves the use of Wigner 3-j symbols, there are also alternative methods such as the Racah algebra and the graphical method. These methods may be more intuitive or easier to use in certain cases, but they all ultimately yield the same results.