Calculation of Clebsch-Gordan coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating Clebsch-Gordan coefficients for two spin-1/2 particles. The speaker followed a procedure and obtained several correct coefficients, but is now trying to determine the correct sign convention for the remaining coefficients. The discussion concludes that according to the Condon-Shortley convention, the highest m-state of the larger component angular momentum is assigned a positive coefficient. However, there is still some ambiguity in the speaker's specific case.
PineApple2

Homework Statement

I have two spin-1/2 particles and I need to calculate their Clebsch-Gordan coefficients.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I followed the procedure of applying [itex]J_- [/itex] to [itex]|{j,m}\rangle [/itex]
and [itex]J_{1-}[/itex] and [itex]J_{2-}[/itex] to [itex]|{m_1,m_2}\rangle [/itex] and comparing them. I got correctly
[itex]\langle{1,1}|{1/2,1/2}\rangle =1 [/itex],
[itex]\langle{1,0}|{1/2,-1/2}\rangle=1/\sqrt{2} [/itex],
[itex]\langle{1,0}|{-1/2,1/2}\rangle =1/\sqrt{2} [/itex],
[itex]\langle{1,-1}|{-1/2,-1/2}\rangle=1 [/itex].
Now I want to find [itex]\langle{0,0}|{1/2,-1/2}\rangle [/itex]
and [itex]\langle{0,0}|{-1/2,1/2}\rangle [/itex].
Therefore I denoted [itex]|{0,0}\rangle = \alpha|{1/2,-1/2}\rangle + \beta|{-1/2,1/2}\rangle [/itex]
and used the normalization condition [itex]|\alpha|^2 + |\beta|^2 = 1[/itex] and orthogonality to the [itex]|{1,0}\rangle[/itex] state. I got the equation
[itex]|\alpha|^2 = 1/2[/itex] from which there are 2 options:
[itex]\alpha = 1/\sqrt{2}[/itex] and [itex]\alpha = -1/\sqrt{2}[/itex] (only real coefficients by convention). How do I know which is the right option out of the two?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The overall sign of ##\alpha## doesn't really matter. What's important is the relative phase between ##\alpha## and ##\beta##. What combination of ##\alpha## and ##\beta## will yield a state orthogonal to ##|1, 0\rangle##?

Ok. I agree. But the standard table has a certain convention. How do I know how to pick the sign to fit this convention?

According to this page, this is the convention:

The Condon-Shortley convention is that the highest m-state of the larger component angular momentum is assigned a positive coefficient.

Still seems a bit ambiguous in your case, though.

I would like to first commend you on your correct application of the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients for spin-1/2 particles. Your approach is correct and your results are also correct.

Now, to answer your question about which option is the right one for \alpha, we need to consider the physical interpretation of the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients. These coefficients represent the probability amplitudes for the combined state of two particles with individual spins j_1 and j_2 to have a total spin j. In this case, we are looking at the combined state of two spin-1/2 particles to have a total spin of 0.

Since the total spin of the combined state must be zero, we can rule out the option of \alpha = 1/\sqrt{2} as it would result in a non-zero total spin. This leaves us with the option of \alpha = -1/\sqrt{2}, which would result in a total spin of 0 when combined with \beta = 1/\sqrt{2}.

Therefore, the correct option for \alpha is \alpha = -1/\sqrt{2}.

I hope this helps clarify your doubt. Keep up the good work!

Related to Calculation of Clebsch-Gordan coefficients

1. What are Clebsch-Gordan coefficients?

Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are mathematical quantities used in the study of quantum mechanics to describe the relationships between angular momentum states of composite quantum systems.

2. How are Clebsch-Gordan coefficients calculated?

Clebsch-Gordan coefficients are calculated by using the Wigner-Eckart theorem, which expresses the matrix elements of angular momentum operators in terms of Clebsch-Gordan coefficients.

3. What is the importance of Clebsch-Gordan coefficients in quantum mechanics?

Clebsch-Gordan coefficients play a crucial role in the applications of angular momentum theory, such as in the calculation of transition probabilities and selection rules for atomic and molecular spectra.

4. Can Clebsch-Gordan coefficients be negative?

Yes, Clebsch-Gordan coefficients can have both positive and negative values, depending on the specific quantum states and angular momentum values involved in the calculation.

5. Are there any specific formulas or equations used to calculate Clebsch-Gordan coefficients?

Yes, there are several formulas and expressions that can be used to calculate Clebsch-Gordan coefficients, including the Racah formula and the 3-j and 6-j symbols.