Classical Physics Pulley Problem

In summary: If you can simplify the problem, then solving it becomes easier. In this problem, you are trying to find the tension in a system where both the masses are rotating. To solve this, you need to take into account the rotational acceleration of both the masses.
danny271828
A massless string is placed over a massless pulley, and each end is wound around and fastened to a vertical hoop. The hoops have masses M1 and M2 and radii R1 and R2. The apparatus is placed in a uniform gravitation field g and released with each end of the string aligned along the field.

I have to show that the tension is T = gM1M2/(M1+M2)

I can sort of solve the problem by just saying that (M1M2)/(M1+M2) is the reduced mass. Then all we have to do is say the tension is balanced with the weight, so that T = Mg = gM1M2/(M1+M2). But then doesn't this imply that the hoop isn't moving? I think I'm missing something here...

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't know anything about whether they are moving or not. What you do know is that the acceleration of each hoop is equal (one up and one down). Write down a free body diagram, F=ma for each hoop and eliminate the acceleration to solve for the tension.

I realize that this is an old post, but I have the same exact problem.

If we assume that the rings are point masses, we see that

F1_net = T - (m1)g = (m1)a
F2_net = T - (m2)g = -(m2)a

where the right hand side must be of different sign (one mass accelerates upward, the other downward). Rearranging the equations so that each is equal to "a" and then equating gives

T = 2g(m1)(m2)/(m1 + m2)

but this is not the answer--it is off by a factor of 2. Of course, my work assumes point particles, so what is the distinction between point particles and rings to obtain this factor difference?

Last edited:
I was assuming the problem was to be read that the rings were in rotational acceleration as well as linear acceleration. The moment of inertia should make some difference. Try doing it that way. If you don't get it let me know and I'll travel two years back in time...

Last edited:
No need for time travel. Your right about the rotational acceleration. Thanks. Sometimes understanding what the problem is itself can be the hardest part of solving a problem.

Related to Classical Physics Pulley Problem

1. What is a classical physics pulley problem?

A classical physics pulley problem is a type of physics problem that involves a system of pulleys, ropes or cables, and weights. The goal is to calculate the forces and motion of the system using Newton's laws of motion and the principles of classical mechanics.

2. How do you solve a classical physics pulley problem?

To solve a classical physics pulley problem, you first need to draw a free body diagram of the system, labeling all the forces acting on each object. Then, you can apply Newton's second law (F=ma) to each object to determine the acceleration. Finally, use the equations of kinematics to calculate the motion of the system.

3. What are the assumptions made in classical physics pulley problems?

The main assumptions made in classical physics pulley problems are that the pulleys and ropes are massless and frictionless, and that the ropes do not stretch or break under tension. Additionally, the effects of air resistance are usually ignored.

4. What are some common variations of classical physics pulley problems?

Some common variations of classical physics pulley problems include adding multiple pulleys, changing the angles of the ropes, and adding external forces such as friction or air resistance. Additionally, the weights in the system could be replaced with different objects, such as blocks or people.

5. How do classical physics pulley problems relate to real-life applications?

Classical physics pulley problems have many real-life applications, such as in engineering, construction, and mechanics. They can be used to design and analyze systems involving pulleys, such as elevators, cranes, and weightlifting machines. They also help us understand the principles of mechanical advantage and how to optimize the efficiency of these systems.