Periods and Motion of Orbits, CM and Relative Motions

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the period of a mass in a circular orbit using elementary Newtonian mechanics, as well as using the separation into CM and relative motions to find the corresponding period when the fixed mass is not fixed and the masses circle each other at a constant distance. The Lagrangian is also used to solve for the period, but the resulting equation does not match the period found using Newtonian mechanics. The question asks for clarification on whether the bodies are orbiting about the CM or if they are being treated as the CM itself.
jbeatphys

Homework Statement

(a) Using elementary Newtonian mechanics find the period of a mass m1 in a circular orbit of radius r around a fixed mass m2 (solved, but placing for context).
(b) Using the separation into CM and relative motions, find the corresponding period for the case that m2 is not fixed and the masses circle each other a constant distance r apart. Discuss the limit of this results if m2 →∞.

Homework Equations

R = Centre of mass = m1r1+m2r2/m1+m2... let m1+m2 be M.
r = r1-r2
μ = m1m2/M = reduced mass
U(r) = Gm1m2/r

Lagrangian can be written as ½M d/dt(R)^2 + ½μ d/dt(r)^2 + U(r)
L=Lcm + Lref, where Lcm is the Lagrangian of the centre of mass and Lref is the Lagrangian of reduced mass and r.

The Attempt at a Solution

I solve part a and found a solution of τ=2πr^(3/2)/√GM2, which I am pretty confident with. I decided to solve the Lagrangian for the second part to see if I got a solution that would end up being similar to this solution (this is what I am expecting). But I found that v= GMt/r^2 + v0 was the equation for radial velocity, and thus the period comes out nothing like the period that I found using Newtonian mechanics.

I am wondering if I am interpreting the question wrong. Or, perhaps, I don't even use the Lagrangian at all (I have chosen this method because I am fresh with the derivation for Lagrangian orbits, but I see that the radius is constant and I'm not sure if this means that I should just be doing vector analysis).

Any help would be welcomed (it has helped just typing this out).

Physics news on Phys.org
I would appreciate some clarification with the conceptual side of the problem. Am I setting up a problem where these two bodies are orbiting about the CM, or am I treating these two bodies as if they ARE the CM and the CM is orbiting about some arbitrary origin?

Related to Periods and Motion of Orbits, CM and Relative Motions

1. What is the period of an orbit?

The period of an orbit is the time it takes for an object to complete one full revolution around another object. This can be calculated using Kepler's third law, which states that the square of the orbital period is proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of the orbit.

2. What is the center of mass (CM) in an orbit?

The center of mass in an orbit is the point at which the two objects in the orbit are balanced and have an equal gravitational pull on each other. This point is also known as the barycenter or the center of gravity.

3. How does the relative motion of objects in an orbit affect their orbits?

The relative motion of objects in an orbit can affect the shape and orientation of their orbits. For example, if one object has a significantly larger mass than the other, it will have a stronger gravitational pull and the orbit will be more elliptical. Also, if the objects are moving at different speeds, their orbits may intersect or change over time.

4. What are Kepler's laws of planetary motion?

Kepler's laws of planetary motion are three scientific laws developed by Johannes Kepler in the 17th century to describe the motion of planets in our solar system. These laws state that: 1) planets move in elliptical orbits with the sun at one focus, 2) a line connecting the planet to the sun sweeps out equal areas in equal times, and 3) the square of the orbital period is proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of the orbit.

5. How does the mass of an object affect its orbit around another object?

The mass of an object does not affect its orbit around another object, as long as the other object is significantly larger. This is known as the strong equivalence principle, which states that the gravitational acceleration of an object does not depend on its mass. However, if the two objects are of similar mass, their orbits will be more complex and may even result in a binary orbit.