Clarifying with authors of textbooks.

In summary, it is generally a good idea to clarify doubts in a textbook with the authors themselves, especially if they are professors. They may appreciate the feedback and may even include it in the textbook's errata. However, if it is a conceptual misunderstanding, it may be best to first consult with professors or other experts in the field before reaching out to the authors. It is also important to ensure that the doubt or mistake is valid before bringing it to the attention of the authors.
nascentmind
Hi,

Is it a good idea to clarify doubts in a textbook with the authors themselves? These authors are generally professors in universities. Would they find it offensive?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What doubts are you talking about?? You mean typo's in the textbook? I'm sure that the authors would like you to tell them about typo's in the book...

If it's a conceptual misunderstanding it's probably best to ask your professors about it first.

I want to know of conceptual misunderstandings. I am not in any university but self studying.

I have alerted authors of mistakes in their books and clarified some doubts but none of them were professors but people working in the industry.

If it's a conceptual misunderstanding, then it's best to ask people on this forum about it. Maybe they can clarify it for you. And if it turns out to be a mistake of the author, then I think it's ok if you tell the author about it...

Lots of professors appreciate such clarifications - they put those clarifications in their textbook errata.

That being said - just make sure that you aren't wrong. :p

Related to Clarifying with authors of textbooks.

1. What is the purpose of clarifying with authors of textbooks?

Clarifying with authors of textbooks is important for ensuring the accuracy and clarity of information presented in the textbook. It allows for any potential errors or misunderstandings to be addressed and corrected, providing students with reliable and accurate information.

2. How can I contact the authors of a textbook for clarification?

The best way to contact authors of a textbook is typically through their publisher or university. You can also search for their contact information online or reach out to them through their website or social media platforms.

3. What types of questions should I ask when clarifying with authors of textbooks?

You should ask specific questions about any information that is unclear or confusing in the textbook. You can also ask for additional explanations or examples to help better understand the material. It is important to be respectful and specific in your questions.

4. Is it common for authors of textbooks to respond to clarifying questions?

It varies depending on the author and their availability, but many authors are willing to respond to clarifying questions from readers. They are often passionate about their subject and want to ensure their information is accurate and understandable.

5. Can I suggest changes or corrections to the textbook during the clarification process?

Yes, you can definitely suggest changes or corrections to the textbook during the clarification process. Authors appreciate feedback and may consider making updates or revisions to future editions based on your suggestions. However, it is ultimately up to the author and their publisher to decide on any changes to the current edition.