Chosing College For Particle Physics And Cosmology

In summary, the individual is an aspiring physicist with main interests in Particle Physics, Cosmology, and Black hole physics. They have applied to two colleges, University of Lancaster and University of Birmingham, and have been accepted to both. They have applied for the course "Physics with Particle Physics and Cosmology". The individual is unsure which college to choose, as Birmingham has a stronger focus on experimental particle physics while Lancaster offers a balance between theoretical and experimental. Additionally, Birmingham is a bigger and more diverse city, while Lancaster is a smaller and quieter town. The individual is struggling to decide between the two options.
Shailank
I am an aspiring physicist. My main interests are Particle Physics, Cosmology and Black hole physics. I am going to join a college this year for the same. I applied to two colleges and got selected. University of Lancaster and University of Birmingham. I have applied for the course - Physics with Particle Physics and Cosmology.
http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/student.../physics/physics-particle-cosmology-msci.aspx
http://www.lancs.ac.uk/study/underg...rticle-physics-and-cosmology-mphys-hons-f373/

So which one is better? Which one should i choose? And why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Both look like very good courses, it may come down to Birmingham vs. Lancaster as places to live for four years! Do you want to live in a big, noisy, ugly*, multicultural, city or a small, quiet, beautiful, rather insular, town. What are your spare-time interests? If climbing, walking, or quietism are your obsessions, then obviously Lancaster. If classical music, football, or clubbing, then Birmingham...

* some parts are quite nice, including Edgbaston, the Birmingham campus area :)

Thankx dude.
But both are not same. The cosmology group in lancaster is purely theoretical. And in birmingam i don't quite see a cosmology group. Its there but nothing good about it. And birmingham focusses on experimental particle physics more than theoretical. While lancaster provides a balance between both. But lancaster is not involved in as many experiments as birmingham is. Also as you said birmingham is a better coty(i like noise and football and stuff). So its killing me. How to decide.

Related to Chosing College For Particle Physics And Cosmology

1. What is the best college for studying particle physics and cosmology?

The best college for studying particle physics and cosmology will vary for each individual, as it depends on factors such as personal interests, career goals, and learning style. Some top universities known for their strong programs in this field include MIT, Caltech, Harvard, Princeton, and Stanford.

2. What courses should I take in high school to prepare for studying particle physics and cosmology in college?

It is recommended to take advanced courses in mathematics, physics, and computer science in high school to prepare for studying particle physics and cosmology in college. These courses will provide a strong foundation in the necessary skills and knowledge for this field.

3. Is it necessary to have a specific undergraduate major to pursue a career in particle physics and cosmology?

No, it is not necessary to have a specific undergraduate major to pursue a career in particle physics and cosmology. Many universities offer undergraduate programs in physics, astronomy, or engineering, which can all lead to a career in this field. It is important to choose a major that aligns with your interests and strengths.

4. What research opportunities are available for undergraduate students interested in particle physics and cosmology?

Many universities offer research opportunities for undergraduate students interested in particle physics and cosmology. These can include summer research programs, internships, and research assistant positions. It is also possible to conduct independent research projects with the guidance of a faculty mentor.

5. What career options are available for graduates with a degree in particle physics and cosmology?

Graduates with a degree in particle physics and cosmology have a wide range of career options available to them. These can include research positions in academia or government labs, careers in industry, and teaching opportunities. Some graduates also choose to pursue further education, such as a PhD, to advance their career in this field.