Choosing the Right Diameter for an Aluminum Rod | Stress Analysis Homework Help

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of an aluminum rod with a given stress limit of 100 MPA. The appropriate diameter for the rod is calculated to be 25.2 mm, however, it is recommended to use a diameter of 26 mm or more to avoid exceeding the allowable stress. This decision is based on factors such as cost, weight, and availability of materials.
Amr719

Homework Statement

For reasons based on cost,weight,availability , etc., the choice is made to construct the rod from aluminum of
σall = 100 MPA. What is an appropriate choice for the rod diameter ? Givens: (P=50 KN)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

σall=P/A , then he get the Area and from area he then gets the Diameter=25.2mm[/B]
Then he said an aluminum rod 26m or more in diameter is adequate
My question is : why an aluminum rod of 26m or more in diameter is adequate ?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Amr719 said:

Homework Statement

For reasons based on cost,weight,availability , etc., the choice is made to construct the rod from aluminum of
σall = 100 MPA. What is an appropriate choice for the rod diameter ? Givens: (P=50 KN)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

σall=P/A , then he get the Area and from area he then gets the Diameter=25.2mm[/B]
Then he said an aluminum rod 26m or more in diameter is adequate
My question is : why an aluminum rod of 26m or more in diameter is adequate ?!
25.2 mm diameter required, use 26 mm, not 26 m

PhanthomJay said:
25.2 mm diameter required, use 26 mm, not 26 m
I meant 26mm , I don't know why 26mm or more . Why not less and why more ?

Amr719 said:
I meant 26mm , I don't know why 26mm or more . Why not less and why more ?
If 25.2 mm diameter is required, then if you use a lesser diameter, you will exceed the allowable stress. So you have to round up to the next available greater diameter. I am not familiar with metric diameters available for aluminum rod, if 26 mm dia not available, you'll have to go to say 30 mm diameter, or whatever is in stock that is in that range.

Likes Amr719
Great .Thank you very much !

Related to Choosing the Right Diameter for an Aluminum Rod | Stress Analysis Homework Help

1. What factors should be considered when choosing the diameter of an aluminum rod?

The primary factors to consider when choosing the diameter of an aluminum rod are the intended use of the rod, the amount of stress it will be subjected to, and the material properties of the aluminum itself. Other factors to consider may include cost, availability, and compatibility with other components in the system.

2. How does the stress analysis of an aluminum rod affect its diameter?

The stress analysis of an aluminum rod involves calculating the internal forces and stresses that the rod will experience under various loads. Based on this analysis, the appropriate diameter can be determined to ensure that the rod can withstand the expected stress without deforming or failing.

3. What happens if the diameter of an aluminum rod is too small?

If the diameter of an aluminum rod is too small, it may not be able to withstand the expected stress and may deform or fail. This could lead to structural instability, reduced performance, and potential safety hazards.

4. How does the choice of aluminum alloy affect the required diameter for a rod?

The choice of aluminum alloy can significantly affect the required diameter for a rod. Different alloys have varying material properties, such as strength and stiffness, which can impact the rod's ability to withstand stress. A stronger alloy may allow for a smaller diameter, while a weaker alloy may require a larger diameter to ensure structural integrity.

5. What are the common methods used to determine the appropriate diameter for an aluminum rod?

The most common methods used to determine the appropriate diameter for an aluminum rod include mathematical calculations based on the expected stress and material properties, physical testing and experimentation, and computer simulations using finite element analysis (FEA) software. Ultimately, a combination of these methods may be used to ensure the most accurate and reliable result.