What Are Some Optimal Pipe Diameter Solutions for a Dual-Valve Fluid System?

In summary, a student is studying in Heriot Watt University Dubai with the goal of becoming a Fluids expert. Their professor usually helps with extra information, but is currently unable to due to a tight schedule. The student has a real life fluids problem and is seeking help to solve it. The problem involves pumping water through 400 ft of one diameter pipe to a point where 200 gpm exits through a valve, then continuing another 400 ft with a different diameter to a second valve where another 200 gpm exits. The maximum pressure drop allowed is 10 psi and the student is asked to specify possible diameters for functional and satisfactory designs, as well as an optimal solution based on cost. They are also asked to choose an appropriate

What do you think is more requred physical field today

• Mechanical Engineering

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Electrical Engineering

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OsHEe
Hey guys,

I am studying in heriot watt university Dubai. I would like to be a Fluids expert. I have been doing well in my course-works and my professor usually helps me around to get a few extra info.

However recently due to a tight schedule he is unable to help me out. I have managed to get this real life fluids problem But am unable to solve it can you help me...

Homework Statement

Water must be pumped through 400 ft of one diameter pipe to a point where 200 gpm exits through a valve. The pipeline, now constructed of a different diameter, extends from that point another 400 ft to a second valve where a second 200 gpm is to exit at the end of the line. See figure below. If a total maximum pressure drop of 10 psi from the pump to the second valve can be tolerated, specify some possible diameters for:

a) The functional design(s); and

b) The satisfactory design(s).

c) Assuming that the cost of the pipeline is directly proportional to the diameter of the pipe used, specify an optimal solution.

d) Specify an appropriate type of pump driven by an electric motor, and calculate the power required. Choose a lower cost option if more than one type is available. Assume that the electric drive and associated hardware have an overall power conversion efficiency of 89%.

pipe system.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with how to determine flow using the Darcy Weisbach equation? Have you had any experience determining pressure drop versus flow rate through pipe?

I would recommend approaching this problem by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts. First, start by identifying the key variables and parameters involved, such as the flow rate, pipe diameter, and pressure drop. Then, use the relevant equations and principles of fluid mechanics to solve for the unknowns, such as the required pipe diameter and pump power. It may also be helpful to consult with other experts in the field or use online resources for additional support. Additionally, considering the cost of the pipeline and the available options for pumps can help guide your decision-making process in finding an optimal solution. Overall, it is important to approach this problem systematically and carefully consider all factors in order to arrive at a successful solution.

I would recommend the following steps to help solve this fluid mechanics problem:

1. Start by drawing a clear and accurate diagram of the pipeline system, including the locations of the pump, valves, and pipe diameters.

2. Use the Bernoulli equation and the continuity equation to calculate the pressure drop and flow rate at each point in the pipeline. This will help determine the appropriate pipe diameters for the functional and satisfactory designs.

3. Consider the cost implications of using different pipe diameters. Smaller diameters may be more cost-effective, but they may also result in higher pressure drops and lower flow rates. Use this information to determine an optimal solution that balances cost and performance.

4. Select an appropriate type of pump based on the required flow rate and pressure drop, as well as the overall power conversion efficiency. Consider the cost of different pump options and choose the most economical one.

5. Use the power equation to calculate the power required for the selected pump and electric motor. If the cost of electricity is a concern, consider using a more efficient motor or alternative power source.

6. Finally, double-check your calculations and solutions to ensure they are accurate and feasible. If you are still having trouble, consider seeking assistance from a peer, professor, or tutor. Good luck with your studies!

Related to What Are Some Optimal Pipe Diameter Solutions for a Dual-Valve Fluid System?

1. What is pipe flow and why is it important in fluid mechanics?

Pipe flow refers to the movement of fluids (liquids or gases) through a closed conduit, such as a pipe. It is an important concept in fluid mechanics because it is a common occurrence in many industries, including plumbing, chemical engineering, and oil and gas. Understanding pipe flow is crucial for designing efficient systems and predicting the behavior of fluids in various applications.

2. What factors affect the flow rate in a pipe?

The flow rate in a pipe is affected by several factors, including the fluid's viscosity, density, and velocity, as well as the pipe's diameter and length. Other factors that can impact flow rate include the presence of obstructions or bends in the pipe, as well as the type of fluid being transported.

3. How is pipe flow calculated?

Pipe flow can be calculated using various equations, such as the Darcy-Weisbach equation or the Hazen-Williams equation. These equations take into account factors such as the fluid's properties, the pipe's dimensions, and the flow conditions to determine the flow rate, pressure drop, and other important parameters.

4. What are some common challenges in pipe flow analysis?

One common challenge in pipe flow analysis is accurately predicting the behavior of non-Newtonian fluids, which do not follow the simple relationship between shear stress and strain rate. Another challenge is accounting for the effects of turbulence, which can significantly impact the flow rate and pressure drop in a pipe.

5. How can pipe flow be optimized for different applications?

Pipe flow can be optimized for different applications by adjusting various parameters, such as the pipe diameter, fluid velocity, and flow rate. Other methods for optimizing pipe flow include using different pipe materials, adding pumps or valves to control flow, and minimizing obstructions or bends in the pipe. Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations can also be used to optimize pipe flow in complex systems.