Choosing a major physics versus EE

In summary: I'm also often stressed or feeling overwhelmed because I have to keep up with the latest technology, or I'm working on a project that I know is very risky but has the potential to be incredibly rewarding. So in summary, if you're considering a career in physics, you should be prepared for a lot of hard work, a lot of stress, and few guaranteed-income jobs. However, if you have a genuine love for physics and are willing to put in the effort, you will be rewarded in the end.
Out of curiosity, berkeman, how did you come up with the ideas for your out of school projects. I would definitely consider doing stuff like that. I am what most people call, a fiddler. I like to fiddler with stuff in my spare time. Examples: I built a tooth pick bridge in a vacuum to see if it would become stonger (It didn't break, but it did bend like crazy-do you know if there is a market for unbreakable but ultra flexible bridges?) and building a motor from scratch (wanted to see how hard it was).

Physics news on Phys.org
For me, it was just following stuff that you enjoy, and thinking up projects in areas that you are interested in. Like with the laser light show thing -- it started when I bought an inexpensive oscilloscope that happened to have an x-y mode, and I put in 60Hz on the horizontal and music on the vertical, and got some awesome displays with the right Rock and Roll songs. "Out here in the fields..." Great fun at parties. And I also bought an inexpensive HeNe laser, and wanted to figure out how to make the same x-y figures on the wall with the laser. So to do that, I had to learn about voice coils and other deflection mechanisms, electromechanical things, power amps, etc. I never got it working great, but it was a great learning experience, and I used that later in real work on a similar project.

I think that it's a good idea to find a couple electronics kits that interest you, and build them and play with them for a while. Then think of more complicated stuff you'd like to build, and work on that. Especially nowadays, it's good to build up microcontroller-based projects, both in kit form, and from scratch on your own. Here's an example of a source of kits:

http://www.transeltech.com/kits/kits1.html

If you have a local Radio Shack or Frys Electronics, they are also good sources of kits. Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks berkeman, I will definitely check this website out. And thanks for the insight that you have given me. It is insane how high schoolers have to start thinking about the complexities of life so early, but it is always good to have a place to throw out questions and get some different answers.

Thanks
Younglearner

Hey berkeman, I guess you are an EE..right?

Well, I'm studying EE and don't really know what to choose between, high voltage, automatic control, utilization, or machines as my specialization..

Can you (or any other one) give me some hint for what each of them really does?...I will be really thankfull :)

(Sorry I know this is off the thread!)

Dark Knight said:
Hey berkeman, I guess you are an EE..right?

Well, I'm studying EE and don't really know what to choose between, high voltage, automatic control, utilization, or machines as my specialization..

Can you (or any other one) give me some hint for what each of them really does?...I will be really thankfull :)

(Sorry I know this is off the thread!)

I'm not very familiar with the specialties that you list "high voltage, automatic control, utilization, or machines".

I'm more familiar with specialties like communications, or semiconductor design, or RF systems, etc.

Well, I'm specialized mainly in electric power, with the specialities I mentioned..
In my university, what I mentioned, and what you did are two separate departments: ''Electrical power and machines'', and ''communications and electronics''...

Thanks anyway berkeman :)

Wow, this thread sure has progressed since I last checked it o:)
I had to search for my last post :biggrin:

I'll try to rephrase my original question...

Okay I understand its a personal choice (between EE or Physics or between any two fields). But I wanted to get a perspective of both worlds in academia and not industry (I am well aware that with an EE degree, I'll get a job straight off). Somehow, the discussion tends towards industry jobs and so on. Sure, physicists may not easily get industry jobs. But my interest is more towards research (if you ask my areas of interest, well, they're all listed in the very first post). So its basically a binary choice.

I was also curious about how easy/difficult it is to do pure physics after a bachelors degree in electrical engineering. What if your interests are also in theory? Is it possible to get into a PhD program in say, theoretical physics, after EE? What are the requirements (I know they vary from univ-univ but still..) and so on. Those were the kind of questions I wanted to ask.

if you like to get a job and lead a happy life with money and stuff then go for EE. if you have passion do to something real good research then go for physics... but in my opinion if you are interested in experiment never do experimental physics... EE guys are much more smart in experiment...

acpsiddhartha said:
if you like to get a job and lead a happy life with money and stuff then go for EE. if you have passion do to something real good research then go for physics... but in my opinion if you are interested in experiment never do experimental physics... EE guys are much more smart in experiment...

I'm surprised. Most people tend to suggest EE for the monetary reasons. I'm sure you're aware that there is research in EE too. And what exactly is "real good research"? What about physics after EE?

Also, in undegrad education what is the difference between experimental and theoretical physics anyway? Everyone has to do the same courses..doesn't the distinction arise only in grad school? But yes, I agree with you that some EE courses are more hands-on and involve a lot of practical work.

Believe me - EE gets harder every year with industry demands. Depending on which college you go to EE may make or BREAK you. Its not for the light hearted and its not something you should pick because it may be 'easier'. There's no easy path through college and I honestly think EE has got to be the toughest form of engineering around. Its incredibly rewarding but for the most part my last two and a half years in EE were more hell than smiles. Its basically 4 years of problem solving. You have to be prepared to devote significant hours a day towards just solving problems. Its not just reading the chapter - because many times i found that after reading a chapter or re-reading a chapter I'm clueless when it comes to problems.

Be prepared for long assignments and demands from courses left right and center. When I was splitting my EE courses with compE courses i found i had weeks where I had 3 assingments due and tests - and on average that semester i slept every other night.

though i have a habbit of scaring ppl out of EE and CompE - i'll still recommend it at the same time. Its an amazingly rich course and there are so many aspects to EE that it starts making more and more sense as you get closer to your final year.

I'll post up a response i gave someone here that'll convince you to stick to it.

Last edited:
Yes, certainly its not 'easier' (nothing is I guess). Anyway thanks for your inputs. I am interested only in research at the moment, so either way I will try for a masters after my undergraduate education. However, since my interests are cross-linked, I just want to make sure that a particular choice does not severely limit my options while going to grad school. Thanks for the inputs.