Choose Between Physics or Robotics: University Decisions

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's uncertainty in choosing between studying physics and robotics at university. They mention their grades in mathematics and physics, as well as their interest in both subjects. The benefits of studying robotics, such as practical applications and programming, are highlighted. On the other hand, the potential career paths and opportunities in academia are mentioned for studying physics. Ultimately, it is suggested that robotics may offer more flexibility in terms of potential career paths.
Martin Jensen
Im going to start at a university after this summer, but I am not quite sure what to choose.
I get B's/10 in both mathematics and physics but i just don't know if I am good enough to take physics.
Both robotics and physics interest me a lot but robotics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which areas of Physics. In robotics, there's a lot of very practical physics and engineering to keep you busy as well as programming and electronics...

Do you like to see results of your labor, build toys and program? Robotics!
Do you like to solve abstract problems, research into the unknown (not sci-fi, just obscure phenomena, nothing really noteworthy), just for the knowledge of science. Physics!

The math will be heavy with either, but Robotics would allow you to bail/expand into other fields if you want, Physics will keep you in teaching or academia, depending upon your real abilities ie you won't get a lot of options. You will teach if you leave with a BS or you can work in research with a Masters or stay in Academia and do research and find a way to publish if you want to make any money.

Related to Choose Between Physics or Robotics: University Decisions

1. What is the difference between physics and robotics?

Physics is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It focuses on understanding the fundamental laws that govern the physical world. Robotics, on the other hand, is the design, construction, and operation of robots. It combines aspects of physics, engineering, and computer science to create machines that can perform tasks autonomously or with human guidance.

2. Which field has better job prospects?

Both physics and robotics have excellent job prospects, as they are both in high demand in various industries such as healthcare, manufacturing, and technology. It ultimately depends on your interests and skills, as well as the job market in your area.

3. What are the major courses in a physics program?

Physics programs typically include courses in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and statistical mechanics. You may also have the opportunity to specialize in a specific area such as astrophysics, biophysics, or materials science.

4. What skills do I need for a robotics program?

A robotics program requires a strong foundation in math, physics, and computer science. You will also need to have good problem-solving skills, creativity, and attention to detail. Some programs may also require experience with programming languages and electronics.

5. Can I pursue both physics and robotics in my studies?

Yes, some universities offer joint programs or allow you to major in one and minor in the other. This can be a great option if you are interested in both fields and want to combine your knowledge and skills. However, these programs may be more rigorous and time-consuming, so be sure to carefully consider your workload and goals before deciding.