Choices between two signal processing classes

In summary: You can probably learn it on your own if you need it.In summary, there are two choices for a signal processing class: Statistical Signal Processing and Adaptive Signal Processing. The first covers detection theory, hypothesis testing, and estimation theory, while the second focuses on adaptation with stationary signals. The first course is more theoretical and is often a prerequisite for a DSP class, while the second is more specialized. It is recommended to choose the first course as it covers concepts that have broader applications in engineering.
chingkui
I am interested in DSP, for the coming semester, I can only take one signal processing class, and I have two choices that I am not exactly sure what they really are:

1) Statistical Signal Processing:
Detection theory and hypothesis testing. Introduction to estimation theory. Properties of estimators, Gauss-Markov theorem. Estimation of random variables: conditional mean estimates, linear minimum mean-square estimation, orthogonality principle, Wiener and Kalman filters. Adaptive filtering. LMS algorithm: properties and applications.

2) Adaptive Signal Processing:
Theory of adaptation with stationary signals; performance measures. LMS, RLS algorithms.

From the description, I am not really sure what these two courses are really about, for example, what problems motivate the study of the two, what important applications each one have, and the usefulness of each.

I would appreciate if someone could offer me some insight into the two areas. I could only choose one. Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Statistical signal processing is essentially a math class. You're not going to learn any practical DSP in that class, but, often, it's a prereq for a real DSP class. The adaptive signal processing class is almost certainly designed to be taken after some other basic signal processing classes.

- Warren

If it were up to me, the 1st one. You will learn about random variables, Markov processes, and general estimation theory - things which have unlimited application in engineering outside of DSP as well.

The second sounds way too focused and specific.

Related to Choices between two signal processing classes

What is signal processing?

Signal processing is a field of study that deals with analyzing, modifying, and extracting information from signals. Signals can refer to any form of data that changes over time, such as sound, images, or electrical signals.

What are the two main classes of signal processing?

The two main classes of signal processing are analog signal processing and digital signal processing. Analog signal processing deals with continuous signals and uses analog circuits to manipulate them. Digital signal processing, on the other hand, deals with discrete signals and uses digital processors to manipulate them.

What are the differences between analog and digital signal processing?

Analog signal processing deals with signals that are continuous in time and amplitude, while digital signal processing deals with signals that are discrete in time and amplitude. Analog signal processing is often used for real-time applications, while digital signal processing allows for more complex and accurate processing.

Which class of signal processing is more commonly used?

In modern times, digital signal processing is more commonly used due to the increasing availability and advancements in digital technology. However, analog signal processing is still used in some applications, such as audio equipment and wireless communication.

What are some common applications of signal processing?

Some common applications of signal processing include audio and video processing, image and video compression, speech recognition, medical imaging, and wireless communication. Signal processing also plays a crucial role in many modern technologies, such as smartphones, computers, and digital cameras.