Chemical Engineering Internship Resume Help

In summary: For example, I've applied to a lot of jobs @ IBM. When you apply, they have a covers letter section (which isn't required, but it's still there) and a resume section (obviously which is required). I've just left the cover letter section blank and just pasted my resume. Still got calls from them.
mathis314
Hello there,

Im a chemical engineering major, and i need some help writing a resume for internships. Is there any good format that i should follow? Do i have to write an essay? List of references?

thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
mathis314 said:
Hello there,

Im a chemical engineering major, and i need some help writing a resume for internships. Is there any good format that i should follow? Do i have to write an essay? List of references?

thanks,

If you mean essay as in a cover letter, definitely. Even if they don't ask for one, it is automatically assumed for any professional job/internship. I only list references if it is asked.

fizziks said:
If you mean essay as in a cover letter, definitely. Even if they don't ask for one, it is automatically assumed for any professional job/internship.

Not true all the time. I applied for tons of internship postings and usually leave the cover letter field blank - I still get numerous calls from employers for interviews (whether it be phone or on-site). I actually accepted an offer in which I didn't even provide a cover letter at all.

user101 said:
Not true all the time. I applied for tons of internship postings and usually leave the cover letter field blank - I still get numerous calls from employers for interviews (whether it be phone or on-site). I actually accepted an offer in which I didn't even provide a cover letter at all.

So for a professional job (not an internship), if they just ask for a resume... should I assume that they don't need a cover letter? I'm just asking so I can save me the trouble and time in writing cover letters every time I apply for different jobs.

I would assume the same thing - if they don't request it, then no. Some employers always read cover letters, and some don't even bother with it. I would think that if they TOLD you specifically that you need one, then you obviously need one.

For example, I've applied to a lot of jobs @ IBM. When you apply, they have a covers letter section (which isn't required, but it's still there) and a resume section (obviously which is required). I've just left the cover letter section blank and just pasted my resume. Still got calls from them.

Related to Chemical Engineering Internship Resume Help

1. What should I include in my chemical engineering internship resume?

Your chemical engineering internship resume should include your contact information, education, relevant coursework, previous work experience, technical skills, and any relevant projects or research experience. You can also include any leadership positions, extracurricular activities, or awards that demonstrate your skills and qualifications.

2. How can I highlight my technical skills on my resume?

To highlight your technical skills on your resume, you can create a separate section specifically for technical skills, or you can incorporate them into your work experience and projects. Be sure to list any relevant software or programming languages you are proficient in, as well as any laboratory or research techniques you have experience with.

3. Should I include a cover letter with my resume?

Yes, it is recommended to include a cover letter with your chemical engineering internship resume. This will allow you to expand on your qualifications and explain why you are interested in the internship. Be sure to tailor your cover letter to the specific company and position you are applying for.

4. How can I make my resume stand out to potential employers?

To make your resume stand out, you can include specific examples and quantifiable achievements from your previous work experience and projects. It is also helpful to tailor your resume to the specific company and position you are applying for, and to highlight any unique skills or experiences you have that are relevant to the internship.

5. Should I include references on my resume?

No, you should not include references on your chemical engineering internship resume. Instead, you can create a separate document with a list of references and have it ready to provide if requested by the employer. Make sure to choose references who can speak to your skills and qualifications, such as professors, previous supervisors, or mentors.