Charged ball exiting a box....

In summary, the small ball lost energy when it entered the box and gained energy when it left the box.
nmsurobert

Homework Statement

A small ball has mass 3.4x10^-8 kg and charge of 2.0x10^-5 C. It enters a box with initial speed 1.2x10^4 m/s. The point where the charge leaves the box is at a voltage 350kV higher than the entry point. Find the speed of the ball as it leaves the box. [/B]

Homework Equations

ΔE = E - E0

ΔE = q(V)

E = 1/2mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
E = 1/2 (3.4x10-8)(1.2x104)2 = 2.448 J
ΔE = (2.0x10-5)(350000)= 7 J
7J = E - 2.448J

9.448J = 1/2(3.4x10-8)v2

v = sqrt ((2(9.448))/(3.4x10-8)

v = 23577 m/s

Does this look right? Apparently the ball doesn't leave the box. But that doesn't make any sense to me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nmsurobert said:
ΔE = (2.0x10-5)(350000)= 7 J
Has it gained or lost electrostatic energy?

nmsurobert said:
E = 1/2 (3.4x10-8)(2.0x10-5)2
I assume the (2.0x10-5) is a typo.

It's lost energy because the charge is positive, right?

I don't believe it a typo. I'm helping someone with their homework. Their instructor said the ball doesn't leave the box. But that makes no sense to me.

That is a typo. I just saw what I did wrong.

But even with that 2.448 is correct. I put it in my calculator correctly but I typed it wrong.

nmsurobert said:
It's lost energy
Quite so. So what is the new KE?

Should it have been 4.55 and not 9.44?

nmsurobert said:
It's lost energy
I'm sorry, I misremembered which way round I asked the question. I should have said that answer was wrong.
It is a positive charge which has moved to a point at a higher potential. It has gained electrostatic energy.

Ok. That doesn't help me though. I'm confused about what you're trying to get at.

nmsurobert said:
Ok. That doesn't help me though. I'm confused about what you're trying to get at.
If it started with 2.448J KE and gained 7J PE with no work being done on it, how much KE does it now have?

-4.552J?

nmsurobert said:
-4.552J?
Right. What does that tell you?

Does that mean that the ball stopped?

nmsurobert said:
Does that mean that the ball stopped?
Is it possible for the ball to exit with negative KE?

Wouldn't that mean the ball turned around. You can't have negative mass so it has to have negative direction.

nmsurobert said:
Wouldn't that mean the ball turned around. You can't have negative mass so it has to have negative direction.
Energy is a scalar. No matter which way it is moving it cannot have negative KE.

Related to Charged ball exiting a box....

1. How does the charge of the ball affect its exit speed from the box?

The charge of the ball does not directly affect its exit speed from the box. However, the charge can affect the forces acting on the ball, which can ultimately impact its speed.

2. Will a charged ball always exit the box at the same speed?

No, the speed at which a charged ball exits a box can vary depending on factors such as the charge of the ball, the size and shape of the box, and the initial velocity of the ball.

3. What happens to the charge of the ball when it exits the box?

The charge of the ball remains the same when it exits the box. However, as the ball moves through the air, it may lose some of its charge due to interactions with particles in the air.

4. Can the exit speed of a charged ball be predicted?

It is possible to predict the exit speed of a charged ball from a box using mathematical equations and considering various factors such as the charge and mass of the ball, and the electric and magnetic fields present.

5. How does the shape of the box affect the exit speed of a charged ball?

The shape of the box can greatly impact the exit speed of a charged ball. A longer, narrower box can provide a longer acceleration distance, resulting in a higher exit speed, while a shorter, wider box may have a shorter acceleration distance and a lower exit speed.