Chances of Going to a US Univ. with Low Undergrad Grades & 1 Recommendation

In summary, the speaker is a student currently pursuing an MSc in Physics in India but is not interested in continuing for a PhD. They plan to take the general GRE and subject GRE exams in August and November of 2010 and are concerned about their chances of getting into a good university in the US due to poor grades in their undergraduate program and potentially limited letters of recommendation. They also mention that the reputation of the university may not matter as much as the research group within the field of study.
neelakash
Hello friends,I am doing my MSc equivalent coursework in Physics in a reputed research Institute in India.However,I do not want to continue here (Ph.D).The thing is that they would not give me an MS if I wish to leave.

I wish to appear for general G.R.E and subject G.R.E next year (2010) August and November respectively.My school & high school results were good;I got two nationally recognized scholarship during college;however, my B.S. (undergrad) result was not so good.I need to know the chance of getting into a good enough university in the US;may not be top 15,but may be top 50!

My college teachers knew me well and they can give me recommendations.It would have been good if people here would give me a recommendation.I do not know if they will,but there is chance that they will not.
May be I will be able to get at most one recommendation.

If I be able to do good in G.R.E.s, where I may land up at last?

-Neel

Physics news on Phys.org
Poor college grades will make things more difficult. So will a small number of letters of recommendation, particularly if they are from people unknown to the admissions committee. The longer ago they knew you, the less weight they will have as well. Finally, while there is a difference between Top 15 and Top 50, it's not so big as you may think.

"may not be top 15,but may be top 50!"

I would say that for graduate school it really doesn't work that way. To people within a field of study the research group you work with means more than the school. That is because many smaller schools can be research leaders various niches.

To people not in the field of study, the name of the school means more. If you don't have the grades and don't know any of the professors in the research group your applying to it may be tough to get in.

Related to Chances of Going to a US Univ. with Low Undergrad Grades & 1 Recommendation

1. What are considered "low" undergraduate grades?

Low undergraduate grades are typically defined as anything below a 2.5 GPA. However, this can vary depending on the university and program you are applying to.

2. Is there any chance of being accepted to a US university with low grades?

While it may be more challenging, there is still a chance of being accepted to a US university with low grades. Many universities consider various factors in addition to grades, such as extracurricular activities, essays, and letters of recommendation.

3. How important is the recommendation letter in this situation?

In this situation, the recommendation letter is crucial. It serves as a way for the university to gain insight into your character, work ethic, and potential for success. It can also help to balance out any weaknesses in your academic record.

4. Will it help to explain the reasons for my low grades in my application?

It is always helpful to provide context for any weaknesses in your academic record. If there were extenuating circumstances that contributed to your low grades, it is important to explain them in your application. However, it is important to also focus on your strengths and accomplishments.

5. Are there any specific universities or programs that are more open to applicants with low grades?

While every university and program is different, there are some that may be more open to applicants with low grades. It is important to do thorough research and target universities that align with your academic and personal strengths. Some universities also have programs specifically designed for students who may not have strong academic records.