Chances of getting into PhD program (low gpa related)

In summary, the individual is a college student who is two semesters away from earning a BS in Math and is interested in pursuing a PhD in mathematics. They have had a rough start in college with a low GPA of 2.8 but have shown improvement in their last two semesters with grades of 3.68 and 3.54. They have A's in all their math classes except for calculus in their first semester. They have taken advanced math courses, have research experience, and plan to take the GRE. They are curious about their chances of acceptance into a math program. Other individuals have suggested focusing on scoring well on the Math GRE and raising their overall GPA above 3.0 to increase their chances.
Polamaluisraw
Hello,

I am two semesters away from my BS in Math and I very much want to pursue a PhD in mathematics. I started off very rough in college and it has taken me all the way until now to get my GPA up to 2.8 (terrible I know). My first two years were awful. last year I really turned things around with a 3.68 and 3.54 for my last two semesters. I have A's in all my math classes besides calculus(first semester) which was my first semester of college. I have taken linear algebra, calc 2-4(ODE's), abstract algebra and have A's in all of them. in the fall I am taking second semester abstract algebra, topology, analysis, and graduate linear algebra. If I can pull off A's in these classes do you think I have a chance at acceptance into a program? I know a top 20 school is out of the question. I have a list of schools that interest me outside of the top 20-30. I have a nice upward swing going for my grades, I will have good letters of recommendations and I have research experience with a physics professor from last semester who I can also get a recommendation from. right now I am studying to take the GRE.

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
a silly question, but what are you actually looking to do?
and what field do you want to end up in?

streeters said:
a silly question, but what are you actually looking to do?
and what field do you want to end up in?

I want to get into a math program. I'm really interested in algebra, I do not have any clue as to what I would like to research, but I have not had that much exposure to it yet. But I know I would like to move in that direction.

I'm really just curious as to my chances at acceptance into a program. Sorry if it sounded silly, It's just all starting to hit me at once that I will be graduating next May.

Well, I have yet to graduate (I'll be a junior this next year), but since nobody else has said anything yet I'll say what I've read in other threads on here no this subject before (I have no idea what time zone the PF times are on, but it's 6:30pm where I am, and the forum says the last comment was made at 1:13 am, so I figured I'd say something haha).

From everything I've read on these forums before, I'd say you definitely have a chance of getting in. As long as you do well on the GRE/subject test, and get good letters of recommendation, you'll be fine. You've done well in your math classes, you've done research, and you'll be taking a graduate Linear course next semester, which is good. Doing well in that course will show that you are able to handle graduate coursework. Overall GPA, I get the impression, is only one small factor into it all.

WormBanshee said:
Well, I have yet to graduate (I'll be a junior this next year), but since nobody else has said anything yet I'll say what I've read in other threads on here no this subject before (I have no idea what time zone the PF times are on, but it's 6:30pm where I am, and the forum says the last comment was made at 1:13 am, so I figured I'd say something haha).

From everything I've read on these forums before, I'd say you definitely have a chance of getting in. As long as you do well on the GRE/subject test, and get good letters of recommendation, you'll be fine. You've done well in your math classes, you've done research, and you'll be taking a graduate Linear course next semester, which is good. Doing well in that course will show that you are able to handle graduate coursework. Overall GPA, I get the impression, is only one small factor into it all.
thank you for your response!

Polamaluisraw said:
Hello,

I am two semesters away from my BS in Math and I very much want to pursue a PhD in mathematics. I started off very rough in college and it has taken me all the way until now to get my GPA up to 2.8 (terrible I know). My first two years were awful. last year I really turned things around with a 3.68 and 3.54 for my last two semesters. I have A's in all my math classes besides calculus(first semester) which was my first semester of college. I have taken linear algebra, calc 2-4(ODE's), abstract algebra and have A's in all of them. in the fall I am taking second semester abstract algebra, topology, analysis, and graduate linear algebra. If I can pull off A's in these classes do you think I have a chance at acceptance into a program? I know a top 20 school is out of the question. I have a list of schools that interest me outside of the top 20-30. I have a nice upward swing going for my grades, I will have good letters of recommendations and I have research experience with a physics professor from last semester who I can also get a recommendation from. right now I am studying to take the GRE.

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

I would suggest you really focus on getting as high a score as possible on the Math GRE. Download all of the old exams you can find and take them, analyze the questions you get wrong and study those areas. The higher your GRE score, the more likely the admissions committees will look past the low GPA.

Your life will be a lot easier if you can get your overall GPA is above 3.0. Typically below 3.0 the university will get involved. This is not good - it's one more entity that can say "no", and at the department level the pressure will be such that the path of least resistance will be to simply offer admission to the next person down in the stack.

Vanadium 50 said:
Your life will be a lot easier if you can get your overall GPA is above 3.0. Typically below 3.0 the university will get involved. This is not good - it's one more entity that can say "no", and at the department level the pressure will be such that the path of least resistance will be to simply offer admission to the next person down in the stack.

^This.

My university---not just my department---won't admit anyone to graduate school who doesn't have at least a 3.0 GPA (or its equivalent if the student attended school outside the U.S.) and a bachelor's degree. No exceptions.

It might benefit you to hang around your current university another year or two taking higher-level math classes, including graduate-level classes (while raising your GPA past that 3.0 mark, of course) doing research and preparing for the Math GRE.

Geezer said:
^This.

My university---not just my department---won't admit anyone to graduate school who doesn't have at least a 3.0 GPA (or its equivalent if the student attended school outside the U.S.) and a bachelor's degree. No exceptions.

It might benefit you to hang around your current university another year or two taking higher-level math classes, including graduate-level classes (while raising your GPA past that 3.0 mark, of course) doing research and preparing for the Math GRE.

thank you for the response. I really hope that steady improvement will show that I am a capable student. My major GPA is great, do you think that will be able to offset my poor performance in my early years/non-major classes?

Please read what I and Geezer wrote again - it's your overall GPA you need to get above 3.0.

Related to Chances of getting into PhD program (low gpa related)

1. What is considered a low GPA for a PhD program?

Typically, a GPA below 3.0 is considered low for a PhD program. However, some programs may have higher or lower GPA requirements, so it is important to research the specific requirements of each program you are interested in.

2. Can a strong application compensate for a low GPA?

Yes, a strong application can help compensate for a low GPA. Admissions committees often consider a variety of factors, including research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements, in addition to GPA. It is important to highlight your strengths in these areas in your application.

3. Will having a low GPA prevent me from getting into a PhD program?

Having a low GPA does not necessarily mean you will not be accepted into a PhD program. Admissions committees consider a range of factors when evaluating applicants, and a low GPA may be outweighed by other strengths in your application. It is important to research the specific requirements of each program and highlight your strengths in other areas.

4. Are there any steps I can take to improve my chances of getting into a PhD program with a low GPA?

Yes, there are steps you can take to improve your chances of getting into a PhD program with a low GPA. You may consider taking additional courses to improve your GPA, gaining research experience, and obtaining strong letters of recommendation. It is also important to research the specific requirements and application process for each program you are interested in.

5. How important is the GRE for getting into a PhD program with a low GPA?

The importance of the GRE varies among PhD programs. Some programs place more emphasis on GRE scores, while others may consider them as just one aspect of the application. However, a strong GRE score can help compensate for a low GPA, so it is important to prepare and do your best on the exam.