Chances of getting into a regular pure math PhD program

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on their chances of getting into a PhD program for pure math, specifically in the areas of analysis or algebra. They have a 2.9 GPA in their undergraduate degree and a 3.5 GPA in their graduate degree, both from Middle Tennessee State University. They have no research experience and will be taking the GRE subject test in one month. They are not interested in prestigious schools and are open to attending any accredited university. The individual is advised to take more advanced math courses in their area of interest, such as PDEs, Advanced Fourier Analysis, and Functional Analysis. It is suggested that getting good grades in these courses will greatly improve their chances of getting into a top graduate school. They are
jpb1980
Hi everyone. I want to get into an okay PhD program for pure math (analysis or algebra). I don't care if it is a lowly university, just so it is accredited. What are my chances of getting into such a program with funding? To how many universities should I apply? My background is as follows: BS Math Ed 2.9 GPA (not great I know). MS pure math 3.5 GPA. (I went ahead and got my MS to make up for my lackluster undergrad performance). Both of my degrees came from Middle Tennessee State University. I have no research experience, unfortunately. I will take the GRE subject test in one month. I took the GRE general and got a 780 subject, 480 verbal, 4.0 essay. I've researched this topic but all anyone wants to talk about is the prestigious schools. I don't care for those schools. I just want to get in anywhere I can. Thanks.

PS: I slacked in my undergrad days. No excuses. I was a fool. But I learned alot. My professors were hard but most were good (with a few lemons along the way). MTSU is underrated. My background, if you are interested, is
Calc 1: B then Calc 2: B+ then Calc 3: B- then DE: C ; then Foundations: C; then Geometry B; then Statistics C; then Abstract Algebra 1: B; then Linear B; now, for grad, we have
Theory of Calc: B; then Analysis: A; then general topology B; then algebraic topology A; then Advanced DE: A; then Abstract Alg 2: A; then Complex Analysis: A-; then Advanced Linear A-, then Graph Theory B-, then Numerical Analysis B-, then Set Theory B, then med stats A.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got high chances of getting into Harvard grad. school for mathematics. Really any ivy league college. Apply to harvard, MIT, princeton and chicago, and stanford, and you'll get into at least 60% of these. Why not go to prestigious schools? You're simply exceptional at math from the courses you've noted. One problem is that you haven't done enough deeply into one area but you seem to have done a broad spectra of math. Grad schools like this. What I'd encourage you to do to get your chances higher is to try taking more advanced math courses in an area of math you like. If it's algebra and analysis, I'd recommend the following: Take math courses in PDE's, Advanced Fourier Analysis, Several complex variables, Functional analysis, and Operator Theory. For algebra, take courses in commutative ring theory, category theory and homological algebra. That'll make you a shoo-in at the top grad. schools. Though get good marks in these courses! If you can get A's in these courses, there's surely no grad. school in the world who wouldn't take you. Harvard is the benchmark. Look at what topics Harvard covers in their grad. classes and try to mimick those. You certainly can't be rejected if you can do as well as Harvard's grad. students. Remember you'll only get a job in a place that's at the same level or lower compared to the grad. school you go to to get a PhD. So if you don't want your career to be doomed, go to Harvard.

Am I the only one baffled by Anon's posts..? Without research, I don't know about getting into Harvard for math..

Annonymous111 said:
You've got high chances of getting into Harvard grad. school for mathematics. Really any ivy league college. Apply to harvard, MIT, princeton and chicago, and stanford, and you'll get into at least 60% of these. Why not go to prestigious schools? You're simply exceptional at math from the courses you've noted. One problem is that you haven't done enough deeply into one area but you seem to have done a broad spectra of math. Grad schools like this. What I'd encourage you to do to get your chances higher is to try taking more advanced math courses in an area of math you like. If it's algebra and analysis, I'd recommend the following: Take math courses in PDE's, Advanced Fourier Analysis, Several complex variables, Functional analysis, and Operator Theory. For algebra, take courses in commutative ring theory, category theory and homological algebra. That'll make you a shoo-in at the top grad. schools. Though get good marks in these courses! If you can get A's in these courses, there's surely no grad. school in the world who wouldn't take you. Harvard is the benchmark. Look at what topics Harvard covers in their grad. classes and try to mimick those. You certainly can't be rejected if you can do as well as Harvard's grad. students. Remember you'll only get a job in a place that's at the same level or lower compared to the grad. school you go to to get a PhD. So if you don't want your career to be doomed, go to Harvard.

What? You're the same person who started (and now apparently deleted) the thread a few weeks ago wondering if YOU had a chance at getting into Harvard. Your credentials were (claimed to be) much better than this. Are you mocking him or something in this post? Or is this you admitting that everything in your last thread was a lie like many had suspected?

On the subject of the thread: your undergad GPA is the biggest factor against you but having shown that it wasn't due to incompetence (via your MS), you should be able to get in somewhere. Without knowing the strength of your LOR's among other things, I can't say much else, but make sure you apply to several safeties.

I cannot accurately predict your chances of getting into a regular pure math PhD program with funding. Admissions decisions are based on a variety of factors, including your GPA, research experience, letters of recommendation, and GRE scores. However, based on the information provided, it may be beneficial for you to apply to a larger number of programs to increase your chances of acceptance. Additionally, it may be helpful to reach out to professors in your desired field of study and discuss potential research opportunities or projects that you could work on to strengthen your application. Ultimately, it is important to showcase your passion and dedication for pure math in your application materials and interviews. Good luck in your academic pursuits.

Related to Chances of getting into a regular pure math PhD program

1. What are the minimum requirements for getting into a regular pure math PhD program?

The specific requirements vary depending on the university and program, but generally, a strong background in mathematics, including courses in advanced calculus, linear algebra, abstract algebra, and analysis, is required. Most programs also require strong letters of recommendation, a high GPA, and high scores on standardized tests such as the GRE.

2. How important are research experience and publications for getting into a regular pure math PhD program?

Research experience and publications are not always necessary for admission, but they can greatly enhance your application. Having research experience demonstrates your ability to think critically and problem solve, which are essential skills for a PhD program. Publications, especially in reputable journals, can also showcase your potential as a researcher.

3. Are there any specific qualities or skills that can make me stand out as an applicant?

While a strong background in mathematics is essential, there are other qualities that can make you stand out as an applicant. These include strong communication skills, a passion for mathematics, and a clear research interest. Additionally, having experience teaching or tutoring mathematics can also be beneficial, as many PhD programs require students to serve as teaching assistants.

4. Is it necessary to have a master's degree in mathematics before applying to a regular pure math PhD program?

No, it is not necessary to have a master's degree in mathematics before applying to a PhD program. Many students are admitted directly from their undergraduate studies. However, some programs do offer a combined master's and PhD program, which can be completed in a shorter amount of time.

5. How competitive is the admissions process for regular pure math PhD programs?

The admissions process for regular pure math PhD programs can be highly competitive, as there are often limited spots available and many qualified applicants. It is important to have a strong application, including a strong academic background, research experience, and strong letters of recommendation, in order to increase your chances of being admitted.