Center of mass of two extended bodies

In summary, the problem is to prove that the center of mass of a system consisting of two extended bodies with masses M1 and M2 and centers of mass at R1 and R2 is located at [M1R1+M2R2] / [M1+M2], using the definition of center of mass. By replacing the variables in the equation with their definitions and simplifying, it can be shown that the equation is equivalent to the definition, but the book marks it as a harder problem, leading the person to question if they are missing something.
aftershock

Homework Statement

Consider a system comprising two extended bodies, which have masses M1 and M2 and centers of mass at R1 and R2. Prove that the CM of the whole system is at

[M1R1+M2R2] / [M1+M2 ]

Homework Equations

Definition of CM

c77b305d9053e94c46111068a6b315a4.png

The Attempt at a Solution

First I looked at the numerator of the equation given in the problem. If I replace R1 with the definition then M1 cancels. The same logic applies to the second term in the numerator. This leaves me with just the summation of all the mr terms for the particles comprising mass 1 and 2 then in the denominator I have the total mass of the system. So the equation given is now in the form of the definition? I feel like this is trivial, but the book has it marked as a harder problem. I feel like I'm missing something and it can't be done this easily. Is my method correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
The center of mass of a body is defined via an integral. The center of mass of two bodies is also defined via an integral, but this time integration is over two bodies. I think you are supposed to prove that the latter integral is indeed that sum.

Related to Center of mass of two extended bodies

What is the center of mass of two extended bodies?

The center of mass of two extended bodies is a point that represents the average position of the mass of the two bodies. It is the point at which the mass of the system can be considered to be concentrated for the purpose of calculating its motion.

How is the center of mass of two extended bodies calculated?

The center of mass of two extended bodies can be calculated using the formula xcm = (m1x1 + m2x2) / (m1 + m2), where xcm is the center of mass, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two bodies, and x1 and x2 are the distances of the bodies from a chosen reference point.

Why is the center of mass of two extended bodies important?

The center of mass of two extended bodies is important because it helps in understanding the motion and stability of the system. It is also used in many practical applications, such as in designing buildings and structures, calculating the motion of celestial bodies, and understanding the behavior of particles in a system.

What happens to the center of mass when the two bodies have unequal masses?

When the two bodies have unequal masses, the center of mass will be closer to the heavier body. This is because the heavier body has a greater influence on the overall mass of the system. However, the position of the center of mass will also depend on the distance between the two bodies.

Can the center of mass of two extended bodies be outside of the bodies?

Yes, the center of mass of two extended bodies can be outside of the bodies. This can happen when the two bodies have unequal masses and are at a certain distance from each other. In this case, the center of mass will be located somewhere in between the two bodies, but not necessarily within the boundaries of the bodies.