Career after PhD: How is the situation in Particle Physics compared to Condensed Mat?

In summary: It really depends on what you are interested in. If you want to stay in academia, you'll likely need to have a Ph.D. in physics or a related field.
sextupole
Hi everyone,

I've just finished my bachelors degree and started grad school.
I'm having a really hard time deciding if I want to head into Experimental Particle Physics oder Experimental Solid State Physics for my PhD.
I've had a little practical experience in both fields, and I really enjoy both a lot!
Generally I like to play with things and build stuff and screw stuff (if you know what i mean), therefore i would like to do something in a lab.
My main concerns are what to do after my PhD. I would love to stay in academia as PostDoc and with a tenure track..and maybe even Prof, but as a student with grades only slightly above average, I'm not convinced that will work the way I wish.

So basically my questions are:
How hard is it to stay in academia in general? And especially in Condensed Matter Physics and Experimental Particle Physics? (for example, how high is the percentage of PhD students that can stay in the field after their thesis?)

If an academic career fails, what are the alternatives in both fields? (I've heard, that in Condensed Matter Physics, it is "easy" to find a job in the industry doing something more or less "physicsy" - whereas there are no real options after a PhD in Particle Physics, if you don't stay in academia, you probably won't end up doing something involving a lot of physics (e.g finance, programming,..) )

I would be really thankful for any kind of advice! Thanks a lot for your help

Physics news on Phys.org

Accelerator physics != experimental particle physics

In a high energy/particle physics experiment the accelerator is just a tool providing collisions. You care primarily about what happens in the collisions of particles not the details of how they are accelerated. In my experience (I have a PhD in high energy physics) most HEP experimentalists have only a very, very basic understanding of how the accelerator itself works.

As to the chances of staying in academia I don't know know if there is any real difference between condensed matter and high energy. Anecdotally, it seems from the people I know to be a fairly low chance for both field.

It is generally easier to find a job doing physics/engineering outside of academia as a condensed matter physicist. A very large portion of the high energy experimentalists that I know personally who left academia just ended up as programmers. I did too.

sextupole said:
If an academic career fails, what are the alternatives in both fields? (I've heard, that in Condensed Matter Physics, it is "easy" to find a job in the industry doing something more or less "physicsy" - whereas there are no real options after a PhD in Particle Physics, if you don't stay in academia, you probably won't end up doing something involving a lot of physics (e.g finance, programming,..) )

A lot depends on how you define "physics-y." In my situation (theoretical astrophysics), I ended up working in an investment bank, and the work that I do is pretty much the same as the work I did in graduate school (i.e. crunch partial-differential equations in supercomputers). One reason that I like my current job is that it keeps my technical skills sharp and I make enough money so that in a few years I'll be able to go back to astrophysics without too much trouble.

There are a lot of different jobs under "finance" and "programming" some of which are very physics-y and some that aren't.

!

As a scientist in the field of physics, I can understand your dilemma in choosing between Experimental Particle Physics and Experimental Solid State Physics for your PhD. Both fields have their own unique challenges and opportunities.

In terms of career prospects, the situation in Particle Physics and Condensed Matter Physics can vary. However, both fields offer exciting and diverse career options for those with a PhD.

In terms of academia, it is generally competitive to secure a postdoc position and eventually a tenure-track position. However, the exact percentage of PhD students who are able to stay in academia after their thesis can vary greatly depending on various factors such as the institution, research topic, and individual achievements.

In terms of alternatives to an academic career, both fields offer a range of opportunities in industry, government research labs, and other sectors. In Condensed Matter Physics, there are opportunities in industries such as materials science, nanotechnology, and semiconductor technology. In Particle Physics, there are opportunities in technology and engineering, as well as in fields such as data science and finance.

My advice would be to choose the field that you are truly passionate about and excel in during your PhD. This will increase your chances of success in securing a career in academia or industry. Additionally, networking and building connections with professionals in your field can also open up potential job opportunities.

Overall, both Particle Physics and Condensed Matter Physics offer exciting and fulfilling career options for those with a PhD. The key is to stay dedicated and passionate about your research and to actively explore different career paths during your PhD. Best of luck in your decision and future endeavors!

Related to Career after PhD: How is the situation in Particle Physics compared to Condensed Mat?

1. What are the career prospects for PhD graduates in Particle Physics and Condensed Matter?

The career prospects for PhD graduates in both Particle Physics and Condensed Matter are generally very good. Both fields offer opportunities for employment in academia, research institutions, and industry.

2. How does the job market differ between Particle Physics and Condensed Matter?

The job market in Particle Physics tends to be more competitive and specialized, as the field is smaller and focuses on fundamental research. In contrast, the job market in Condensed Matter is broader and offers more opportunities in applied research and development.

3. What are the main differences in job responsibilities between a career in Particle Physics and Condensed Matter?

A career in Particle Physics typically involves conducting experiments, analyzing data, and publishing research papers. In Condensed Matter, job responsibilities may include designing and testing new materials, developing technologies, and collaborating with industry partners.

4. Are there any notable salary differences between careers in Particle Physics and Condensed Matter?

The salaries for careers in Particle Physics and Condensed Matter can vary greatly depending on the specific job, location, and employer. Generally, jobs in industry tend to offer higher salaries than academic positions.

5. What skills are most valued in the job market for Particle Physics and Condensed Matter?

In both fields, strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to work well in a team, are highly valued. Additionally, proficiency in programming and data analysis, as well as knowledge of advanced mathematical concepts, are important skills for careers in both Particle Physics and Condensed Matter.