Car Battery and 120vac 100 watt bulb

In summary, a 12 volt car battery will not light a 120 volt bulb. The 100 watt bulb needs 1 amp to be illuminated with the 120 volts. The light output is proportional to Current4 and so roughly also voltage4. If you use only 1/10 the voltage - you are only going to get 1/10000 the light - you would barely see a glow form a 100W bulb. The resistance of a lamp at full voltage can be 10 times of the cold resistance so simple Ohms Law does not apply.
coffee-3000
Can a 12 volt car battery illuminate a 120vac 100 watt bulb ? I not sure if a bulb that is rated for 120 volts can still be powered with a battery pushing 12 volts.
I think the 100 watt bulb only needs 1 amp to be illuminated with the 120 volts.

I'm still trying to figure out the basics.
Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The filament will not be nearly as hot at 12 volts as it is at 120 V so the light will appear much dimmer and more reddish.

The light output is proportional to Current4 and so roughly also voltage4
If you use only 1/10 the voltage - you are only going to get 1/10000 the light - you would barely see a glow form a 100W bulb.

The resistance of a lamp at full voltage can be 10 times of the cold resistance so simple Ohms Law does not apply.

I have tried a 240 v 60 W bulb on 24 V and there is no light at all. On 30 V it glows dimly.

Thanks for your replies. My thinking was wrong. I was thinking that the light wouldn't illuminate even dimly. I thought since the bulb was rated as 120 volts, that the filament must have been designed so that 12 volts couldn't generate enough fiction/resistance to produce the light. But I guess ohmns law says that any amount of volts (no matter how small) must produces some amount of power ( no matter how small). So I guess a 100 watt bulb can produce a dim light with a small amount of power ( maybe 1 watt of power).

Yes it will produce some power.
The problem is that the power dissapation is is proportional to I2, so (assuming the same resistance) 1/10 the voltage produces 1/100 the power.
But the light emitted is temperature4, so slightly less electrical power means a lower temperature means MUCH less light

On the other hand a 100W bulb run from a 12V car battery will last for years!

The resistance of a 240 V 60 W is calculated as 960 Ohms.

Rounded off figures...

Cold it is 70 Ohms.

At 12 V it is 170 Ohms.

At 24 V it is 280 Ohms.

So cold - full voltage the resistance increases by 14 times.

1/10 - full voltage the resistance increases by 3.5 times.

So at 1/10 Voltage the input wattage is 2 Watts or 1/30 of the full voltage Wattage not 1/100th as you would expect with a constant resistance.

But there in very little light output at 2 Watts. There is a VERY feint glow in a completely darkened room. Milliwatt of light or less.

"lower temperature means MUCH less light" ... Yes indeed.

Last edited:
I hadn't appreciated the resistance drops that much.
For calculations about lamp output you normally use V3.5 (less than 4 to account for resistance) but that's at near specification voltage.

I just tried it with 12V and a 60W bulb (all my 100W were replaced by CF) and you can see the filament dimly glowing orange but it wouldn't illuminate anything.
Your eye has an a amazing range of sensitivity.

Ten times seems to be a figure quoted a lot. I heave found 14 times (cold/hot) and somebody has measured a bulb at 23 times..

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg18925362.400-first-light.html

Years ago a work colleague couldn't understand why fuses were blowing feeding a wardrobe strip-light. The switch on current was at least ten times the normal current.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my experience it's 15x less resistance at room temperature. At any rate, we're all in the same ballpark.

Not only is the radiated power less, it is shifted farther into the IR at these lower voltages.

Related to Car Battery and 120vac 100 watt bulb

1. How long will a car battery power a 120vac 100 watt bulb?

The amount of time a car battery can power a 120vac 100 watt bulb depends on several factors such as the age and condition of the battery, the efficiency of the bulb, and the amount of charge in the battery. On average, a fully charged car battery can power a 100 watt bulb for approximately 8-10 hours.

2. Can a car battery power a 120vac 100 watt bulb safely?

Yes, a car battery can safely power a 120vac 100 watt bulb as long as the battery is properly charged and the bulb is within the wattage range that the battery can handle. It is important to check the specifications of both the battery and the bulb to ensure they are compatible.

3. What happens if I connect a 120vac 100 watt bulb to a car battery with a lower voltage?

If you connect a 120vac 100 watt bulb to a car battery with a lower voltage, the bulb will not receive enough power to function properly and may appear dim or not light up at all. This could also potentially damage the bulb and the battery. It is important to always use the correct voltage for your bulb and battery.

4. Can I use a car battery to power a 120vac 100 watt bulb in my home?

No, it is not safe to use a car battery to power a 120vac 100 watt bulb in a home setting. Car batteries are designed for use in vehicles and do not have the proper safety features for indoor use. It is important to use a proper power source and follow all safety guidelines when using electrical equipment.

5. How can I calculate the amount of time a car battery will power a 120vac 100 watt bulb?

To calculate the approximate amount of time a car battery can power a 120vac 100 watt bulb, you can use the following formula: Battery capacity (in amp-hours) / (bulb wattage / battery voltage) = hours of use. For example, if a car battery has a capacity of 50 amp-hours and the bulb is 100 watts with a battery voltage of 12 volts, the calculation would be: 50 Ah / (100 W / 12 V) = 6 hours. Keep in mind that this is an estimate and may vary depending on the factors mentioned in question 1.