Can this circuit be solved without nodal analysis?

In summary, the book presents only the kirchhoff's and ohm's laws in that chapter, and the circuit has one node.
Anti Hydrogen
Homework Statement
The book hasn't presented the nodal analysis before this problem, but i can't tell what technique to use in this situation
Relevant Equations
any hint?
help will be appreciated

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    9 KB · Views: 245
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show us your attempt at a solution? Can you write down any equations to represent the relationships shown in the schematic?
Sometimes when you don't know where to start, just writing down what you can deduce from the circuit can get you started.
I'm not sure how to answer your question about nodal analysis. My instinct says; "yes, absolutely, you can usually solve simple circuits without formal nodal analysis". However, virtually all circuit analysis is nodal analysis in disguise or with short-cuts.

DaveE said:
Can you show us your attempt at a solution? Can you write down any equations to represent the relationships shown in the schematic?
Sometimes when you don't know where to start, just writing down what you can deduce from the circuit can get you started.
I'm not sure how to answer your question about nodal analysis. My instinct says; "yes, absolutely, you can usually solve simple circuits without formal nodal analysis". However, virtually all circuit analysis is nodal analysis in disguise or with short-cuts.
The book only presented the kirchhoff's laws and the ohm's law in that chapter.
The circuit clearly has one node (and the reference node); I applied de KCL to the top node but it gave an equation with 2 unknown currents

Anti Hydrogen said:
The circuit clearly has one node (and the reference node); I applied de KCL to the top node
That's a good start. What else do you know about the circuit? You have 1 equation with 2 unknowns, so either it can't be solved uniquely, or you need more equations.

Do you think the value of the resistors would effect the solution? If, so, where do they appear in your equations?

DaveE said:
or you need more equations.
Yes, in order to have another equation, the circuit would need another node, I think

Anti Hydrogen said:
Yes, in order to have another equation, the circuit would need another node, I think
No.
Suppose I told you the value of Io. Could you solve for all of the other voltages and currents in the circuit. What equations would you use to do that?

DaveE said:
Do you think the value of the resistors would effect the solution?
Yes they do undoubtedly affect the solution, the problem is asking for the voltage across the left resistor which is obtained by ohm's law V=IR

DaveE said:
No.
Suppose I told you the value of Io. Could you solve for all of the other voltages and currents in the circuit. What equations would you use to do that?
With that information given, the other variables would be obtained by ohm's law, simple

I'm rather dubious of the supplied answers. If ##i_o = 10 A## then already with the controlled source and the current through the 2 Ω resistor you've exceeded the current being supplied to the node (15 A).

• Informative
Likes DaveE and Anti Hydrogen
gneill said:
I'm rather dubious of the supplied answers. If ##i_o = 10 A## then already with the controlled source and the current through the 2 Ω resistor you've exceeded the current being supplied to the node (15 A).
Yes, they are wrong. It never occurred to me to put the numbers into my equations, LOL. I ALWAYS leave that as the last step.
The correct answers are (90/13)A and (180/13)V.

Likes Anti Hydrogen
Anti Hydrogen said:
With that information given, the other variables would be obtained by ohm's law, simple
Then those are probably your additional equations.
KCL is almost always used with KVL and ohms law. Sometimes the circuits are so simple that you don't recognize it though. For example, if you were to say it's obvious that the voltage across the 2 resistors in this circuit is the same value, you would actually be applying KVL to do that. If you combine that with ohms law you can get a relationship between the currents through those resistors.

DaveE said:
Yes, they are wrong. It never occurred to me to put the numbers into my equations, LOL. I ALWAYS leave that as the last step.
The correct answers are (90/13)A and (180/13)V.
I got the same answers after some calculation (I had to use nodal analysis) and yes, the book is wrong, thanks everyone for helping

Likes DaveE and berkeman
i use fundamentals of electric circuits by sadiku 6th edition by the way

Anti Hydrogen said:
I got the same answers after some calculation (I had to use nodal analysis) and yes, the book is wrong, thanks everyone for helping
Nodal analysis when there is only one essential node is just KCL in its basic form. Yes, you also need Ohm's law to complete the analysis, but that's just another "primitive" circuit law.

So, well done!

• Informative
Likes Anti Hydrogen
Anti Hydrogen said:
i use fundamentals of electric circuits by sadiku 6th edition by the way
Good to know. We (PF Homework Helpers et al) can keep an eye out for possible errors when other members say that their problem comes from this source.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and Anti Hydrogen

Related to Can this circuit be solved without nodal analysis?

1. Can I use any other method besides nodal analysis to solve a circuit?

Yes, there are several other methods that can be used to solve a circuit, such as mesh analysis, Thevenin's theorem, and superposition theorem.

2. What are the advantages of using nodal analysis to solve a circuit?

Nodal analysis is a systematic and efficient method that can be used to solve complex circuits with multiple nodes. It also allows for easy analysis of circuits with dependent sources.

3. Are there any limitations to using nodal analysis?

Nodal analysis is not suitable for circuits with voltage sources connected in parallel. It also requires the circuit to have a grounded reference node.

4. Can nodal analysis be used for both DC and AC circuits?

Yes, nodal analysis can be applied to both DC and AC circuits. However, for AC circuits, the analysis must be done using phasors instead of actual values.

5. Is nodal analysis the most accurate method for solving circuits?

No, the accuracy of nodal analysis depends on the accuracy of the assumptions made about the circuit. In some cases, other methods may provide a more accurate solution.