Z-Parameter Calculation for Circuit | Nodal Analysis Method

• Thread starter CoolDude420
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary: But you can't do that until you've chosen a reference node. So first, choose a node that you want to be your reference.Next, don't be too quick to use variables that you want to disappear! When you're...well, nodally analyzing a network, you'll want to identify all the nodes and their associated voltages, currents, and impedances. But you can't do that until you've chosen a reference node. So first, choose a node that you want to be your reference.Once you have your reference node, you can start
CoolDude420

Homework Statement

314f22a45f.png

Calculate the z-parameters for this circuit.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

03ef4f03da.png

I'm trying to apply Nodal Analysis in order to find V_1 and I'm not too sure where to go with this now.

Attachments

• 314f22a45f.png
    314f22a45f.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 965
  • 03ef4f03da.png
    03ef4f03da.png
    57 KB · Views: 1,068
Physics news on Phys.org
For ##Z_{11}## I think my approach would be to assume ##V_1## as a source, then find the ##i_1## that results. Either nodal or mesh analysis looks promising. If you're familiar with the use of supermeshes, then one loop equation will suffice (along with whatever auxiliary equations are required to satisfy the current source constraint).

gneill said:
For ##Z_{11}## I think my approach would be to assume ##V_1## as a source, then find the ##i_1## that results. Either nodal or mesh analysis looks promising. If you're familiar with the use of supermeshes, then one loop equation will suffice (along with whatever auxiliary equations are required to satisfy the current source constraint).

So I should put a V1 voltage source in parralel with the current source on the left?

CoolDude420 said:
So I should put a V1 voltage source in parralel with the current source on the left?
You want only one source there, so either leave the current source as is, or replace it with a voltage source. If you leave the current source, then that would fix the mesh current for its loop, or can be used as a branch current for nodal analysis. Then you'd need to find a way to determine the voltage across it. If you replace it with a voltage source, then you will solve for the mesh (or branch) current instead, giving you both the voltage and current needed for the Z-parameter.

If you're going to use nodal analysis, you'll want to define your reference node and solve for the voltage at node A, since that's where you're summing currents. Note that ##V_2## can be written in terms of ##V_A##, since ##V_2## appears along a single branch leading from node A.

gneill said:
You want only one source there, so either leave the current source as is, or replace it with a voltage source. If you leave the current source, then that would fix the mesh current for its loop, or can be used as a branch current for nodal analysis. Then you'd need to find a way to determine the voltage across it. If you replace it with a voltage source, then you will solve for the mesh (or branch) current instead, giving you both the voltage and current needed for the Z-parameter.

If you're going to use nodal analysis, you'll want to define your reference node and solve for the voltage at node A, since that's where you're summing currents. Note that ##V_2## can be written in terms of ##V_A##, since ##V_2## appears along a single branch leading from node A.

Oh. I see. Just another thing, how would I change that current source into a voltage source. The way we usually did it was if there was a resistor in parallel with that current source but in this case there's no resistor.

CoolDude420 said:
Oh. I see. Just another thing, how would I change that current source into a voltage source. The way we usually did it was if there was a resistor in parallel with that current source but in this case there's no resistor.
In this case you don't have to transform the source as you might convert a Norton current source to a Thevenin voltage source. Simply swap the current source for a voltage source. There are two variables of interest here: the voltage and current produced by whichever source is in that place. Their ratio will determine the impedance you're seeking. You can specify either the current or the voltage, then determine the resulting value of the other quantity.

gneill said:
In this case you don't have to transform the source as you might convert a Norton current source to a Thevenin voltage source. Simply swap the current source for a voltage source. There are two variables of interest here: the voltage and current produced by whichever source is in that place. Their ratio will determine the impedance you're seeking. You can specify either the current or the voltage, then determine the resulting value of the other quantity.

Ah. I don't seem to be getting anywhere. I have no idea why this isn't making sense to me. I'm going for the nodal analysis route.
5c900e9b77.png

I just ended up where i started..

Attachments

• 5c900e9b77.png
    5c900e9b77.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 404
Proceed step by step. For Nodal Analysis you need to first choose your reference node, then identify the essential nodes in the network. In your first post you identified node A, but didn't specify the reference node. You should label your drawing with your chosen reference node.

Next, don't be too quick to use variables that you want to disappear! When you're done you want to find the ratio ##V_1 / I_1## in terms of the fixed parameters of the circuit, namely the resistances and the amplification factor ##G_3##. So try to avoid using ##V_2## to specify the branch current; Branch currents should be written in terms of the node potentials, and ##V_2## is not at an essential node! Instead, write that term as though ##V_2## was not labelled on the diagram.

You'll need to define an "auxiliary" equation to write ##V_2## in terms of its branch current in order to "disappear" the ##V_2## in the ##G_3 V_2## branch :wink:

Related to Z-Parameter Calculation for Circuit | Nodal Analysis Method

1. What is Z-parameter calculation for circuit?

Z-parameter calculation for circuit is a method used in circuit analysis to determine the impedance values of different elements in a circuit. It involves using the nodal analysis method to solve for the voltages and currents at each node in a circuit, and then using those values to calculate the Z-parameters, which are used to describe the relationship between voltage and current in a circuit.

2. Why is Z-parameter calculation important?

Z-parameter calculation is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a circuit and predict its performance. By knowing the impedance values of the different elements in a circuit, we can determine how they will affect the flow of current and voltage, and make informed decisions about circuit design and optimization.

3. How is Z-parameter calculation different from other circuit analysis methods?

Z-parameter calculation is different from other circuit analysis methods because it is based on the nodal analysis method, which uses Kirchhoff's current law to determine the voltage and current values at each node in a circuit. Other methods, such as mesh analysis, use different techniques to solve for the voltages and currents in a circuit.

4. What are the limitations of Z-parameter calculation?

One limitation of Z-parameter calculation is that it can only be used for linear circuits, meaning that the elements in the circuit must have a linear relationship between voltage and current. It also assumes that the elements in the circuit are time-invariant, meaning that their values do not change over time.

5. How can Z-parameter calculation be applied in real-world circuits?

Z-parameter calculation can be applied in real-world circuits by using it to analyze and optimize the performance of electronic systems such as filters, amplifiers, and transmission lines. It can also be used in the design and testing of communication systems, as well as in the development of new electronic devices and components.