Can someone do a double major( 2 majors) and one minor?

In summary: Yes, you could do the same with a Masters degree. I had 2 majors and 1 course short of a math major and 1 short of a computer major. You just pick which shows on the degree. At least that's how it worked for me.
Karimspencer
Or is too much work.
I want to major in mathematics and in computer science. And do a minor in Physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose the amount of work isn't really a problem as long as you can spend a sufficient amount of time on it.

Depends on the university. Some require more courses for a particular major or minor, some require fewer.

I did it, years ago, but it helped that I received a semester's worth of AP credit beforehand, and that I took summer classes for 3 summers.

Karimspencer said:
Or is too much work.
I want to major in mathematics and in computer science. And do a minor in Physics.

Yes. I had a friend that really wanted to finish her majors. She intentionally skipped taking a course so she wouldn't graduate on time. She wanted to finish with another major. She majored in Chemistry, Biology, and Math, and she was close to a major in Physics too. omg, and she maintained a 4.0 GPA

Thank you for your feedback everybody. Are there any 4-year universities that don't let us do more than one major plus minors?

Yeah, it's possible. I'm doing majors in Math and Physics, and a minor in Computer Science. I won't have a light senior year like most of my friends, but I'll still be able to graduate on time, and never have to overload my schedule.

WormBanshee said:
Yeah, it's possible. I'm doing majors in Math and Physics, and a minor in Computer Science. I won't have a light senior year like most of my friends, but I'll still be able to graduate on time, and never have to overload my schedule.

Thanks for the feedback. What college do you go to?
The difference between me and you is that I am majoring in mathematics and computer science and minor in physics. You are majoring in Math and physics and minoring in computer science.

I go to Pacific University (the one in Oregon, US).

Yeah, that's true, there is probably more overlap with Math and Physics than there is Math and CS. Our school does have a ton of core requirements, so the capability may even out if yours has fewer. I personally am keeping my majors completely separate (not using classes like Classical and Quantum Mechanics or Algorithms to count towards my Math major), so if you were to do things like take Physics and CS classes that do, then it would be easier too. But that would move you a bit away from Pure Math, if that's what you're into.

Well, what I want to do is have the subjects have nothing to do with each other according to courses. So when people say double major or minor, will that mix some courses with each other? Cause I want to have separate.

Not sure what you are asking. There tends to be overlap between programs. Math and computer science majors take the calculus sequence as do physics minors. Math majors take a computer science class or two. You'll have to look at your school's programs and the required coursework and plan your electives if you do not want to take classes that are similar, if that is what you are asking.

Well, certain things have to cross over. Like most CS majors would likely make you take Linear Algebra, and so would your Math major. Like Physics at my school requires you do the calculus sequence, and so does the Math major, but it all depends on your program requirements (like Mmm Pasta said).

Other than those few classes that overlap because they are fundamental to both subjects, you can probably keep them totally disjoint. That's what I'm doing.

Oh ok I see, so at the end of my undergraduate year , I have would have two BS degrees?

Karimspencer said:
Well, what I want to do is have the subjects have nothing to do with each other according to courses. So when people say double major or minor, will that mix some courses with each other? Cause I want to have separate.

You'll have to check your specific program requirements to be sure of what you need to do. It varies from university to university. For example, your school's policy on double majors might be that if an upper division (300, 400 level) course is required for both of your majors, that it only counts towards one of them, and you have to find a substitute course to fulfill the other major's upper division requirements.

Karimspencer said:
Oh ok I see, so at the end of my undergraduate year , I have would have two BS degrees?

Just one degree

I had 2 majors and 1 course short of a math major and 1 short of a computer major. You just pick which shows on the degree. At least that's how it worked for me.

Well could you do the same with a Masters degree. I want to get a Maters in Math and an MBA. Can I do them at the same time?

Related to Can someone do a double major( 2 majors) and one minor?

1. Can I double major and have a minor at the same time?

Yes, it is possible to pursue two majors and one minor at the same time. However, it is important to carefully plan your course load and make sure you can handle the workload.

2. Will it take longer to graduate if I have a double major and a minor?

It depends on the individual's course load and academic progress. Double majoring and having a minor may require taking more classes, which could potentially extend the time it takes to graduate. It is important to consult with your academic advisor to create a plan that works for you.

3. Do I have to choose my majors and minor when I first enroll in college?

No, you do not have to declare your majors and minor when you first enroll in college. Many students declare their majors and minor after completing their general education requirements, which gives them time to explore different fields and make an informed decision.

4. Can I have a double major and a minor in completely different fields?

Yes, you can have a double major and a minor in different fields. In fact, this can be beneficial as it allows you to have a well-rounded education and gain knowledge in diverse areas. However, it is important to ensure that you can handle the workload and meet the requirements for all your majors and minor.

5. Can I switch one of my majors to a minor if I change my mind?

Yes, it is possible to switch one of your majors to a minor if you change your mind. However, it is important to consider the implications and requirements of this change. It is always best to consult with your academic advisor before making any changes to your academic plan.