Can I Solve for c by Replacing b with a Value Greater Than 0?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathland
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the value of c when b is replaced with any value greater than 0 in an equation. It is determined that there are two solutions for c, which are 20 and -20, depending on the value of b. The conversation then shifts to discussing a cask of wine and the possibility of drinking it in less than 20 days.
mathland
I replace b with any value greater than 0 and then solve for c. Right?

FB_IMG_1612321193999.jpg

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What do you get when you expand the LHS and equate the resulting terms with the corresponding terms in the RHS of the given equation

Greg said:
What do you get when you expand the LHS and equate the resulting terms with the corresponding terms in the RHS of the given equation

Ok. I will do as you suggested and be back.

It's been 7 months now! Are you still working on it?

For those who were wondering, there are two solutions.
(2x- b)(7x+ b)= 14x^2+ 2bx- 7bx- b^2= 14x^3- 5bx- b^2. That is to be equal to 14x^2- cx- 16.

So we must have -5b= -c and -b^2= -16. b^2= 16 so b= 4 or b= -4.
If b= 4, -5b= -20= -c so c= 20.
If b= -4, -5b= 20= -c so c= -20.

Check:
(2x- 4)(7x+ 4)= 14x^2+ 8x- 28x- 16= 14x^2- 20x- 16.
(2x+ 4)(7x- 4)= 14x^2- 8x+ 28x- 16= 14x^2+ 20x- 16.

Beer soaked comment follows.
Country Boy said:
It's been 7 months now! Are you still working on it?
He's been banned permanently.

I'll bet I could drink that cask of wine in less than 20 days!

Related to Can I Solve for c by Replacing b with a Value Greater Than 0?

1. Can I solve for c by replacing b with a value greater than 0?

Yes, you can solve for c by replacing b with a value greater than 0. This is because the value of b does not affect the ability to solve for c. As long as the equation is set up correctly, you can replace b with any value and still solve for c.

2. Why is it important to replace b with a value greater than 0?

Replacing b with a value greater than 0 allows for a more accurate and precise solution for c. This is because a non-zero value for b provides a better representation of the real-world scenario and can result in a more meaningful answer for c.

3. Can I replace b with a negative value when solving for c?

Yes, you can replace b with a negative value when solving for c. However, it is important to ensure that the negative value is appropriate for the given equation and situation. In some cases, a negative value for b may not make sense and could result in an invalid solution for c.

4. Is there a specific value that b should be replaced with when solving for c?

No, there is no specific value that b should be replaced with when solving for c. The value of b will depend on the specific equation and situation being analyzed. It is important to choose a value that makes sense in the context of the problem and will result in a valid solution for c.

5. Can I solve for c by replacing b with 0?

Yes, you can solve for c by replacing b with 0. However, this will only work if the equation is set up in a way that allows for b to be canceled out. In some cases, replacing b with 0 may not result in a meaningful solution for c and could lead to an invalid answer. It is important to carefully consider the equation and situation before replacing b with 0.