Please, I fast. I'm totally lost....

• MHB
  • Thread starter Gabriel _J
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lost
In summary, fasting is the act of abstaining from food and/or drink for a specific period of time, often for religious, spiritual, or health reasons. When someone says "Please, I fast," they are asking others to respect their decision and not offer them food or drinks during the fasting period. Feeling "totally lost" while fasting can refer to feeling physically weak or spiritually disconnected. The duration of a fast varies greatly, ranging from a few hours to weeks or even months. While fasting has potential health benefits, it also carries risks, especially for certain medical conditions or during pregnancy or breastfeeding. It is important to research and consult with a healthcare professional before undertaking a fast.
Gabriel _J
Problem: "There are 40 yellow, green and red candies in the basket. If all the yellow candies were replaced with green candies, there would be 7 times more green than red candies in the basket. If we replaced red candies with green candies, there would be 4 times more green candies in the basket than yellow candies. How many green candies are in the basket?"

Possible answers given: a)22 b)25 c)27 d)29

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let y be the number of yellow candies, g the number of green candies, r the number of red candies.

"There are 40 yellow, green and red candies in the basket."
So y+ g+ r= 40

"If all the yellow candies were replaced with green candies, there would be 7 times more green than red candies in the basket."
If all the yellow candies were replaced with green candies there would be y+ g green candies.
y+ g= 7r.

"If we replaced red candies with green candies, there would be 4 times more green candies in the basket than yellow candies."
If all the red candies were replaced with green candies there would be g+ r green candies.
g+ r= 4y.

From g+ r= 4y, g= 4y- r so y+ g+ r= y+ 4y- r+ r= 5y= 40. y= 8. y+ g= 8+ g= 7r, g= 7r- 8. r+ g= r+ 7r- 8= 8r- 8= 4y= 32. 8r=40. r= 40/8= 5. g= 7r- 8= 35- 8= 27.

There are 27 green candies.Check: If y= 8, g= 27, and r= 5 then
y+ g+ r= 8+ 27+ 5= 35+ 5= 40.
y+ g= 8+ 27= 35= 7(5)= 7r.
r+ g= 5+ 27= 32= 4(8)= 4y.

Related to Please, I fast. I'm totally lost....

What does it mean to "fast"?

Fasting refers to abstaining from food and/or drink for a specific period of time.

Why would someone want to fast?

People may choose to fast for religious reasons, as a form of detoxification, or for health benefits such as weight loss or improved digestion.

How long should a fast last?

The length of a fast can vary depending on the individual's goals and health status. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before beginning a fast to determine the appropriate duration.

Is fasting safe?

Fasting can be safe for most healthy individuals, but it is important to do it properly and under the guidance of a healthcare professional to avoid potential risks and complications.

What should I do if I feel lost while fasting?

If you are feeling lost or unsure about your fast, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional or seek support from a qualified nutritionist or fasting expert. They can provide guidance and ensure that your fast is safe and effective.