Can I opt to take modern physics as major for M.sc?

In summary, the individual is currently studying B.tech in electrical and electronics engineering and is considering pursuing an M.sc in modern physics for research. They are unsure if this is a wise decision given their background in engineering and are also wondering if there is a course in electromagnetic waves and how it relates to quantum mechanics. They are seeking advice on whether or not this is a suitable path to take and are unsure who to ask for guidance.
aditya23456
I m presently studying B.tech 4th year,with branch as electrical and electronics engineering..Is it advisable/plausible to take modern physics as my M.sc course and go for research.? I've keen interest but is it praise worthy to do so.? Since I ve a background of electrical and electronics engineering as B.tech degree..How about having M.sc in electromagnetic waves(is there any such course)(does this co-relate to quantum mechanics.?)
Hope I've sounded meaningful..thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
can anyone please suggest me..

anyone please help..

This is a bit puzzling on why you would ask this here. I don't know how the school system is at where you are, but shouldn't you have an academic advisor that you should be directing this question to? It is meaningless for us to answer such a question because your academic requirement could be something else. We could reply "yes, you can take such ans such" but if your advisor says no, it means no.

Zz.

I cannot make the decision for you, but I can provide some guidance and information to help you make an informed decision.

Firstly, it is definitely possible to pursue a Master of Science (M.Sc) in modern physics after completing a Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in electrical and electronics engineering. In fact, having a background in engineering can be beneficial for studying modern physics, as it requires strong mathematical and analytical skills.

However, it is important to consider your career goals and interests before deciding to pursue a degree in modern physics. If you are passionate about the subject and have a keen interest in research, then it may be a good choice for you. Modern physics is a broad field that covers a range of topics such as quantum mechanics, relativity, particle physics, and cosmology, so you will need to have a strong interest in these areas to excel in your studies.

It is also worth noting that pursuing a degree in modern physics will require a significant amount of time and effort, and you may need to take additional courses to bridge any knowledge gaps between your engineering background and the physics curriculum. However, if you are willing to put in the work and have a strong passion for the subject, it can be a rewarding and fulfilling path.

As for your question about a specific course in electromagnetic waves, there are certainly courses available in this area, and it can be related to quantum mechanics as electromagnetic waves are described by quantum mechanics principles. However, it may be more beneficial to focus on a broader modern physics program that covers a range of topics rather than a specific course in electromagnetic waves.

Ultimately, the decision to pursue a Master of Science in modern physics is a personal one that should be based on your interests, career goals, and dedication to the subject. I would recommend researching different programs, speaking with advisors or professors in both engineering and physics departments, and considering your own strengths and interests before making a decision. Best of luck in your academic journey.

Related to Can I opt to take modern physics as major for M.sc?

1. What is modern physics?

Modern physics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of matter and energy at a microscopic level, including the behavior of particles and atoms. It includes theories such as quantum mechanics, relativity, and particle physics.

2. What are the career opportunities for a major in modern physics?

A major in modern physics can lead to a variety of career opportunities, including research positions in academia or government institutions, careers in industries such as technology and energy, or teaching at the high school or college level.

3. Is a strong background in mathematics necessary for a major in modern physics?

Yes, a strong foundation in mathematics is essential for studying modern physics. Many concepts in modern physics involve complex mathematical equations and models, so a solid understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations is crucial.

4. What are some key skills that are developed through a major in modern physics?

A major in modern physics helps students develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. It also fosters skills in data analysis, experimental design, and technical writing, which are valuable in a variety of industries and career paths.

5. Can I pursue a major in modern physics if I have not taken any physics courses before?

While having a background in physics can be beneficial, it is not always necessary to pursue a major in modern physics. Many programs offer introductory courses for students without prior experience in physics, and with dedication and hard work, it is possible to catch up and succeed in a major in modern physics.