Can I Get to Grad School with a Four year BSc (Physics)

In summary, the conversation discusses the options of completing a BSc in Physics with Honours, transferring to Electrical Engineering undergrad, or completing a Four-Year General BSc in Physics. The person is stressed about the time it will take to complete each option and the potential impact on their career prospects. They are also considering applying to an engineering graduate program in order to do engineering research. The advice given is to transfer into engineering if that is their ideal career path.
latitude
Hey all,

I'm at a crossroads and feeling really stressed out. Below are my options:

a) Complete a BSc in Physics, 4 - year Honours: It will take me two more years of intense work. I am already on my fourth year of the degree but messed everything up by taking only one course my second year, so unless I do a courseload of Quantum Mechanics II, Advanced Laboratory, General Relativity, Electromagnetic Theory AND my Honour's Thesis next year, plus Chemistry and Intermediate Calculus next summer, I will not complete it in one year. Which makes me 23 years old when I graduate and THEN I will have to start applying for Grad School. I won't have a job for years.

b) Transfer to Electrical Engineering undergrad with the credits I have going to transfer. It will take me at least 3 years to complete the degree in my estimation. But I will have many more career prospects following graduation, and hopefully lucrative ones. I would feel sad to not complete my physics degree after working so hard at it, however.

c) Complete a Four-Year General BSc in Physics. I can be finished that by next year, and, if it is possible, apply to grad schools immediately following that. However i know that competitively, a four-year graduate would not hold a candle to people with Honour's degrees who are applying, so this option is risky.

I would ideally like to apply to an engineering graduate program so I could do engineering research (I understand that an engineering graduate program will not allow me to practice as a certified engineer.)

Any advice is really really appreciated. I wish I could start over again... :(

Physics news on Phys.org
latitude said:
However i know that competitively, a four-year graduate would not hold a candle to people with Honour's degrees who are applying, so this option is risky.

I don't think this statement is actually true. Plenty of people in graduate physics didn't graduate with honors.

I'm not even close to applying to grad school, but I'll write down what I get from all the "apply to grad school" threads here.
First, Applying to grad school at 23 isn't that bad. I'll be 27 when I graduate with a B.Sc in Physics, and I don't think it's that bleak. Applying to grad school at 23 makes you only a year older than everyone else.

As for what grad schools think, and this isn't based on experience sitting in a committee or applying to grad school:
Take interesting classes that you care about and do well in them: If you want to graduate with honors, do it because you're interested in the classes that are offered in the honors track, not because you think it'll count more when you apply to grad school. Besides, it seems like grad schools are good with detecting ******** and when people do things just to be able to impress committees.

If I were in your position I'd look closely at the differences between doing honors Physics or regular Physics. If you think the honors track will make you a better physicist in a way that will give you a significant advantage in grad school, then go for it. If it won't give you any significant advantage that is worth the extra two years, then go with a regular B.Sc.

Lastly, like fss wrote, there are plenty of people in grad school who have a "regular" degree in Physics.

eliya said:
Lastly, like fss wrote, there are plenty of people in grad school who have a "regular" degree in Physics.
The problem with this is that, from what I gather, Honors degrees are relatively new, so their implentation into the educational system changes the playing field. You'll be getting more and more people who have not only done the "regular" degree, but the Honors one, so the latter track will in my opinion be seen as the way to go (I think in this regard the US and Canadian systems are approaching the European system). I don't know if this is the case yet, but at least in Canada I think you are already expected to go for the Honors degree or at least take courses that you would had you gone for it.

latitude said:
Hey all,

I'm at a crossroads and feeling really stressed out. Below are my options:

a) Complete a BSc in Physics, 4 - year Honours: It will take me two more years of intense work. I am already on my fourth year of the degree but messed everything up by taking only one course my second year, so unless I do a courseload of Quantum Mechanics II, Advanced Laboratory, General Relativity, Electromagnetic Theory AND my Honour's Thesis next year, plus Chemistry and Intermediate Calculus next summer, I will not complete it in one year. Which makes me 23 years old when I graduate and THEN I will have to start applying for Grad School. I won't have a job for years.

b) Transfer to Electrical Engineering undergrad with the credits I have going to transfer. It will take me at least 3 years to complete the degree in my estimation. But I will have many more career prospects following graduation, and hopefully lucrative ones. I would feel sad to not complete my physics degree after working so hard at it, however.

c) Complete a Four-Year General BSc in Physics. I can be finished that by next year, and, if it is possible, apply to grad schools immediately following that. However i know that competitively, a four-year graduate would not hold a candle to people with Honour's degrees who are applying, so this option is risky.

I would ideally like to apply to an engineering graduate program so I could do engineering research (I understand that an engineering graduate program will not allow me to practice as a certified engineer.)

Any advice is really really appreciated. I wish I could start over again... :(

I think if your ideal career is doing engineering research, you should transfer into engineering.

Thanks so much for all the replies.

I agree with the statement that the Honours degree is becoming the norm for people on the grad-school track. I will, however, have taken the majority of the courses needed to graduate with an Honours degree, I will only be two or three short. Perhaps having the upper-level courses in my four year degree would give me a slight advantage.

I applied to my local Electrical Engineering program at the University and am waiting to hear a reply, so perhaps once I know I will be more on track to make the decision? I hope so anyway. I feel like if I only knew what I wanted I'd find it easier to make the choice, but I keep madly fluctuating on my opinion. :(

Related to Can I Get to Grad School with a Four year BSc (Physics)

1. Can I get into grad school with just a four-year BSc in Physics?

Yes, it is possible to get into grad school with just a four-year Bachelor of Science degree in Physics. However, admission into grad school is competitive and having a higher degree, such as a Master's or a PhD, may increase your chances of being accepted.

2. Do I need to have a specific GPA to be considered for grad school?

Most grad schools do have a minimum GPA requirement, which is usually around a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. However, admissions committees also take into account other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements.

3. Is it necessary to have research experience to get into grad school?

While research experience can be beneficial, it is not always necessary to have it in order to get into grad school. However, having research experience can make your application stand out and may increase your chances of being accepted.

4. Can I apply to grad school in a different field of study than my undergraduate degree?

Yes, it is possible to apply to grad school in a different field of study than your undergraduate degree. However, you may be required to take additional courses or demonstrate your knowledge in the new field in order to be accepted.

5. Are there any additional requirements for international students to get into grad school?

International students may have additional requirements for admission into grad school, such as English proficiency tests and obtaining a student visa. It is important to check with the specific grad school for their requirements for international applicants.