Can Arnold and Bruce Save the World?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thread
In summary, the conversation revolved around various complaints and observations, such as being bored and having nothing to do, the difference between bread going moldy vs. going stale, and the efficiency of the post office. They also discussed procrastination and the struggles of writing student evaluations. Some participants shared their thoughts on wearing pants and skirts, while others talked about the cold weather and intense TV shows. The conversation also touched on the increasing prices of trash collection and the experience of going to the post office.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
A place to come if one is bored out of their pants and can think of nothing better to do.
Or just have a general moan, like our power went of today and it is taking ages for the house to warm up again, my plates are frozen.
And the bin men left my bin at least 6ft 7inches out of possition, and bread goe's mouldy
rather than stale these days, how doe's that work?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are "bin men", Woolie?

Edit: I think the difference between bread going moldy vs. going stale is a difference of moisture content of the bread. Just my guess.

I would think trash men.

I remember reading about that kid who said he wanted to grow up and be a garbage man, and everybody belittled his values - but I agree with his attitude. I mean, with the state of the world, who cares?

I also thought today about how I have nothing against the post office. I know most people hate it, but today I sent a package out that I sold on ebay, and it was just about 5 bucks or so with confirmation. It was a small item, but I had put it in a box, packaged neatly, considering that it might be something that would break in the envelopes they give you.

UPS and FedEx might have better tracking, but it's more expensive and sometimes it even takes longer, and is really more for big business rather than small business or individuals sellers like myself.

I placed two orders on Amazon one and for some reason one order shipped USPS, the other UPS, and so I timed them and the one from USPS came first, even though it was being shipped from father away.

There were a lot of people there, which, since I wasn't in a hurry, didn't bother me and even bumped into a neighbor, who invited me to the local "christmas tree" party our neighborhood has.

Sometimes I just like to walk to the post office, and put the envelop in the "blue bullfrog" as one writer put it. I've never had a problem with it.

So that's what I did and thought about today, how I'm glad at least we still have a post office.

wolram said:
A place to come if one is bored out of their pants and can think of nothing better to do.
I'm still wearing pants, so I suppose that means I can't come here?

Hurkyl said:
I'm still wearing pants, so I suppose that means I can't come here?

You started wearing pants?

I've made a huge mistake.

Oh goodie, this is where I need to be tonight. :biggrin: I'm finishing up writing student evaluations. They're due today...I still have a half hour left of "today." :rolleyes: I always, always, always procrastinate these until the very end. I'm still procrastinating the last few. How many ways is there to say someone was a good student? The very best and very worst are easiest to write, because there is either something really special to say about them, or very little to say about them. All the ones in the middle are tough though. I'd really rather just give them all grades. A, A, B, B, B, B, B, C. See, that would be easier than narrative evaluations. Thank goodness it's only one small class that does this! The crappy part is that I think the only time they ever get read is if a student is struggling in other courses and the academic standards committee needs to dig up more information to see if they are worth remediating or should just be kicked out. :rolleyes:

franznietzsche said:
You started wearing pants?

I've made a huge mistake.
Well, I could wear a skirt, but I don't really have the legs for it. (Nor the gender)

Moonbear said:
Oh goodie, this is where I need to be tonight. :biggrin: I'm finishing up writing student evaluations. They're due today...I still have a half hour left of "today." :rolleyes: I always, always, always procrastinate these until the very end. I'm still procrastinating the last few. How many ways is there to say someone was a good student? The very best and very worst are easiest to write, because there is either something really special to say about them, or very little to say about them. All the ones in the middle are tough though. I'd really rather just give them all grades. A, A, B, B, B, B, B, C. See, that would be easier than narrative evaluations. Thank goodness it's only one small class that does this! The crappy part is that I think the only time they ever get read is if a student is struggling in other courses and the academic standards committee needs to dig up more information to see if they are worth remediating or should just be kicked out. :rolleyes:

It's good to know that professors have busy work too.

Man, it's cold. I'm typing the last bits of my last paper and my hands are shaking. brrrr. Don't fail me now fingers. I need to graduate.

wolram said:
… my plates are frozen …

(shouldn't that be me plates are frozen? :rolleyes:)

Try running up and down the apples and pears, or across the frog and toad and back. :wink:

this season of House is getting intense. so intense!

This thread is perfect for pointing this out. thanks, Wolram.

(also I'm way too nervous for exams. but i'd rather not think about that)

Math Is Hard said:
Man, it's cold. I'm typing the last bits of my last paper and my hands are shaking. brrrr. Don't fail me now fingers. I need to graduate.

Aren't you in LA? Quit yer whinin. I can sit on my balcony in the Valley in my shorts right now.

I got a letter from bin/trash/garbage man/collector that the price goes up 50% from the January 1st.

I was at the post office yesterday to send some packets and mail and they had no correct stamps, so the lady put all my mail on the side to put stamps on them later. I wonder if she will remember these were all priority letters, that should leave the office before 3 p.m. - I was at the post office around 2 p.m. to be sure they will make it.

My internet is still in hiccup mode. Its like playing with a toddler one of the oldest games in the world - now you see me, now you don't.

But basically I am fine. I have played kind of a practical joke yesterday, I wonder if it will work. Time will show. IF it will work, I will tell you.

Isn't boredom a prerequisite of visiting this forum anyway?

This thread introduces a super level of dullness.

Just when I had finally switched allegiances from the consistently inconsistent always underacheiving (when they're not too busy overachieving) Toronto Raptors to a winning team (go Blazers!), Brian finally fires Smitch and gives me new false hope. B&st$rd!

neu said:
Isn't boredom a prerequisite of visiting this forum anyway?

This thread introduces a super level of dullness.

Thems fightin' werds 'round dese parts pardner. Ya best be watchin' wut you be sayin'

franznietzsche said:
Thems fightin' werds 'round dese parts pardner. Ya best be watchin' wut you be sayin'

daamn. ... 's'about to get real up in this bizznatch.

Last edited:
tiny-tim said:
(shouldn't that be me plates are frozen? :rolleyes:)

Try running up and down the apples and pears, or across the frog and toad and back. :wink:

I can not run across the frog and toad, my minced pies do not use infrared and it is like a coal hole out there.

MIH

Hells bells, how can hot stuff be cold, is the sister power depleted.

Last edited:
wolram said:
I can not run across the frog and toad, my minced pies do not use infrared and it is like a coal hole out there.

Cor, strike a light (then)! :biggrin:

tiny-tim said:
Cor, strike a light (then)! :biggrin:

Even that was a problem, i only had fork handles and they were down to the last half inch.

How often do you guys have power cuts? it is a regular occurrence here abouts.

wolram said:
How often do you guys have power cuts? it is a regular occurrence here abouts.

On my part of the planet, there are frequent wind storms and losing power during a storm is very common. But it comes back in less than a day, usually.

Very uncommon to lose power when there hasn't been a storm.

Fortunately, the cook stove, water heater, and fireplace all run an natural gas, so even with the power out we can get a hot meal, a hot shower, and at least one room is toasty.

wolram said:
Even that was a problem, i only had fork handles and they were down to the last half inch.

Did you half-inch 'em? :eek:

Perhaps I should send the bill round … that would turn on the heat! :smile:

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.
Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I am in a reasonably calm climate, so loosing a power due to the weather is rarely a problem here. I am close to a large city, so power network is in a rather good shape - that means no blackouts as well. Few hours twice a year at most. In the country situation looks worse as far as I can tell.

My main problem here is that electricians don't treat 10 minutes blackout as something important, and the area is growing fast, so they have to modify network now and then. To do so they are switching power off and on whenever they feel like they need it. It is more problematic in warm months, as due to the weather most construction is stopped or at east slowed in winter. I should buy several UPS units (two at least), but each year I hope it is over.

We don't have natural gas here (developer's decision, not mine). I am mostly heating with a wood and fireplace. Trick is, for the system to be effective, ellectric fan must be working to transfer hot air to other rooms. If there is no electricity, it is hellish hot in one room, but cold in others.

tiny-tim said:
Did you half-inch 'em? :eek:

Perhaps I should send the bill round … that would turn on the heat! :smile:

Hey, i aint no tea leaf, and you can keep plod of my turf.

Borek said:
I am in a reasonably calm climate, so loosing a power due to the weather is rarely a problem here. I am close to a large city, so power network is in a rather good shape - that means no blackouts as well. Few hours twice a year at most. In the country situation looks worse as far as I can tell.

My main problem here is that electricians don't treat 10 minutes blackout as something important, and the area is growing fast, so they have to modify network now and then. To do so they are switching power off and on whenever they feel like they need it. It is more problematic in warm months, as due to the weather most construction is stopped or at east slowed in winter. I should buy several UPS units (two at least), but each year I hope it is over.

We don't have natural gas here (developer's decision, not mine). I am mostly heating with a wood and fireplace. Trick is, for the system to be effective, ellectric fan must be working to transfer hot air to other rooms. If there is no electricity, it is hellish hot in one room, but cold in others.

Round abouts here we are almost all electric, no mains gas ,and coal merchants are like hens teeth.

moe darklight said:
this season of House is getting intense. so intense!

This thread is perfect for pointing this out. thanks, Wolram.

(also I'm way too nervous for exams. but i'd rather not think about that)

I am sure you will ace your exams so need to worry, (house)? one of those reality shows i guess. :rolleyes:

franznietzsche said:
Aren't you in LA? Quit yer whinin. I can sit on my balcony in the Valley in my shorts right now.

I'm by the water. It's way colder here!

Math Is Hard said:

Success MiH. I knew you were a tough "bikkel"
:smile:

Bikkel: Dutch, pronounce bickle: somebody who is really determined to endure hardship and do everything reasonable to achieve a goal.

Do people who have a lot to do but aren't in the mood to do anything, qualify to post here?:shy:

I hope so Lisa, cause I have a million things to do. And have pretty much decided not to do anything.
We're having a Evo day, rain and gloominess has chased away all my fluffy snow. Fog is starting to creep in...and all I want to do is ...nap.

Lisa! said:
Do people who have a lot to do but aren't in the mood to do anything, qualify to post here?:shy:

I guess slacking is a form of boredom.:smile:

moe darklight said:
daamn. ... 's'about to get real up in this bizznatch.

Daz wut I'm sayin'! He's betta watch wut he says den!

hypatia said:
I hope so Lisa, cause I have a million things to do. And have pretty much decided not to do anything.
We're having a Evo day, rain and gloominess has chased away all my fluffy snow. Fog is starting to creep in...and all I want to do is ...nap.

I have an exam on Thursday and I have to reread my notes, but I don't feel like doing that!:biggrin: And I am not going to do anything else since I have an exam.