Can a retired dentist become a physics major at 65?

• Thread starter scratchman287
  • Start date
In summary, it is possible for a retired dentist to become a physics major at the age of 65. While it may be challenging, with determination and hard work, individuals of any age can pursue a new field of study. Many universities offer flexible programs and resources for older students, making it feasible for a retired professional to embark on a new academic journey in physics. Additionally, the life experience and skills gained from being a dentist may prove to be valuable assets in understanding and applying physics concepts.
scratchman287
Hello, my name is Neil, and I am just three months shy of my 60th birthday. I am a dentist who is retired from active practice but still works part-time as a consultant. I interrupted my dental consulting career to be a programmer for a few years. I am married for 30+ years and have three adult children. All this begs the question: “Dude, what are you doing here?” Caution: absurdly long new member intro follows.

At eight years old I took a wrong turn when I declared I wanted to be a dentist. Our family dentist had taken me into his dental laboratory and shown me all the cool equipment, then gave me a stack of pink baseplate wax (https://tinyurl.com/y7z7x3em). That did it for me. I’ve told everyone since who asks why I became a dentist, and I tell them, “Pink baseplate wax”.

Now, looking back over my life, I realize that I should have gone into math & physics. I’m still captivated by both subjects, but my development so far wouldn’t even rank me as an amateur mathematician or amateur physicist; more like the dopey kid looking into the classroom through the classroom door window. I hope to change that.

My goal is to relearn math and physics on my own up to the level of a 1st year college student, then enroll in my alma mater (I still live in the vicinity) to get my B.S. in Physics. My B.S. in Bio should provide most of the LA&S credits towards the degree, so I should be able to concentrate on just math and physics classes. I’m going to do this for its own sake: I have no illusions that a recently minted 65+ year old physics major has excellent job prospects, but as a dentist I can work as a dental consultant until I drop. No, my goal is learn it because I love it, and there is no better way to keep my mind sharp than to engage in this subject.

If you’ve read this far, thank you for your indulgence in my verbosity.

Likes lekh2003, berkeman and Charles Link
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me you are doing things in the right order. If you had studied maths and physics, you wouldn't have been able to take up dentistry at 60. This way, you get to do both.

Thanks, PeroK! I never looked at it that way. I appreciate the encouragement!

scratchman287 said:
Thanks, PeroK! I never looked at it that way. I appreciate the encouragement!

Good luck!

I retired (from IT) 3 years ago and have been studying maths and physics part-time since then.

Welcome to the PF, Neil. Great to have you here. :smile:

BTW, I had to LOL at your thread title. We pride ourselves in accuracy and precision here at the PF... :biggrin:

Hi Neil.

Thank you for sharing your story! It is really motivating and insightful. Best of luck with your studies in the new year!

Thanks! And as you can tell from my tardy reply, I can be lazy too!

Welcome, Yogi!

Related to Can a retired dentist become a physics major at 65?

1. Can a retired dentist still learn physics at the age of 65?

Yes, age does not determine one's ability to learn a new subject. As long as the individual has a strong interest and dedication to learning physics, they can become a physics major at 65.

2. Do retired dentists have the necessary background to study physics?

It depends on the individual's previous education and experience. While a background in dentistry may not directly relate to physics, a strong foundation in math and science can be beneficial for learning physics.

3. Is it possible for a retired dentist to catch up with younger students in a physics program?

Yes, with hard work and determination, a retired dentist can catch up with younger students in a physics program. Age should not be a barrier in pursuing education.

4. Will a physics degree be useful for a retired dentist?

It depends on the individual's goals and interests. A physics degree can open up opportunities in various industries, such as research, teaching, and technology. It can also enhance critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

5. Are there any challenges for retired dentists pursuing a physics major?

There may be challenges such as adjusting to a new learning environment and keeping up with the fast-paced curriculum. However, with proper time management and support from peers and professors, these challenges can be overcome.