Can a PhD be done after completing undergraduate?

In summary, it is possible to pursue a PhD after completing undergraduate studies. However, it requires a significant amount of dedication, hard work, and determination. It is important to have a strong academic background and research experience to be a competitive candidate for PhD programs. Additionally, students should consider their career goals and the time and financial commitment that a PhD program entails before making the decision to pursue it after completing their undergraduate degree.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Say by the time I complete my undergraduate studies, I also complete topics taught in M.Sc. by myself. So, without formally doing an M.Sc., can I join PhD after B.Sc., given that I am sure that I am as able as a student who has formally completed masters?

My field of interest here is physics, and if chemistry, then only spectroscopy and related fields.

I know this is not possible here in India. Do you know of any university thst gives PhD opportunities to students without M.Sc.? I shall try to be ready to sit for the examinations/interviews they put forth to test me. If you know, what are the requirements I need to fulfill besides completing all topics taught in masters?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the US, it is common practice (there may be exceptions) to enter a PhD program in physics upon completion of a 4-yr undergraduate program. Assuming your undergrad program is equivalent to a US undergrad program (you need to check), you should be OK in applying.

Taking classes on the PhD track may not be a problem, but I would not consider that being in the "PhD program". There are usually some requirements for entry into a PhD program, such as passing preliminary tests. The next hurdle is that you would need to find a professor who is willing to work with you. I would be surprised if those requirements could be met so quickly. A recognized genius could probably do it.

FactChecker said:
Taking classes on the PhD track may not be a problem, but I would not consider that being in the "PhD program". There are usually some requirements for entry into a PhD program, such as passing preliminary tests. The next hurdle is that you would need to find a professor who is willing to work with you. I would be surprised if those requirements could be met so quickly. A recognized genius could probably do it.
I think you are making a semantic distinction that is not observed in the US. Upon receiving a BS degree, you can apply either for an MS program or a PhD program in many universities (as always, exceptions apply). If accepted into the PhD program, successful completion of the PhD program requires successful completion of courses, passing certain exams, and successful completion of a PhD dissertation. This is not the case in other countries in which you must have received an MS before applying for a PhD program.

Likes FactChecker
CrysPhys said:
I think you are making a semantic distinction that is not observed in the US. Upon receiving a BS degree, you can apply either for an MS program or a PhD program in many universities (as always, exceptions apply). If accepted into the PhD program, successful completion of the PhD program requires successful completion of courses, passing certain exams, and successful completion of a PhD dissertation. This is not the case in other countries in which you must have received an MS before applying for a PhD program.
Ok. I'll buy that.

CrysPhys said:
In the US, it is common practice (there may be exceptions) to enter a PhD program in physics upon completion of a 4-yr undergraduate program. Assuming your undergrad program is equivalent to a US undergrad program (you need to check), you should be OK in applying.
Thanks. I'll check into the requirements.

Related to Can a PhD be done after completing undergraduate?

1. Can I pursue a PhD after completing my undergraduate degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a PhD after completing your undergraduate degree. In fact, many students go on to obtain a PhD after completing their undergraduate studies.

2. Do I need to have a master's degree before applying for a PhD program?

No, having a master's degree is not a requirement for pursuing a PhD. Some programs may prefer applicants with a master's degree, but it is not necessary for all programs.

3. What is the average length of time for completing a PhD after an undergraduate degree?

The average length of time for completing a PhD after an undergraduate degree is typically around 5-7 years. However, this can vary depending on the field of study and individual circumstances.

4. Will I have to complete additional coursework if I pursue a PhD after my undergraduate degree?

Yes, most PhD programs require students to complete additional coursework in addition to their research. This coursework is typically related to the student's research area and helps to develop their knowledge and skills in their field.

5. Can I work while pursuing a PhD after my undergraduate degree?

Yes, it is possible to work while pursuing a PhD after your undergraduate degree. However, it is important to carefully consider the time and energy commitments of both your work and your PhD program to ensure you are able to balance both effectively.