Can a Petition Increase Summer Math Class Offerings at My University?

• Thread starter dkotschessaa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary, Dave's University offers a class in linear algebra that usually isn't offered during the summer, and it's possible to get the professor's approval to offer it that way.
dkotschessaa
My University offers relatively few math classes in the summer - and no upper level/math electives. I have been advised by a professor that if a petition for a class was created, there *might* be a chance of that class being offered during the summer.

I talked to the next person of interest in the math department who confirmed this, but said that mostly the lack of offerings has to do with budget. However he did note that it's worth a try. If enough people are interested the university might open a class. (Finding professors to teach it is not a problem - they would all love to do something other than pre-calc/calc during the summer).

Has anybody ever done anything like this? I'm wondering if there is a standard format for such a petition.

-Dave K

Physics news on Phys.org
It's been done at my University, though there's no standard format. I'd suggest getting the word out at a few classes (maybe having some other students advertise as well) and asking students to email you if they're interested in the course. Once you have a sizeable number, you can bring it to the attention of the department.

I've e-mailed the professor of my linear algebra class to ask him if it's ok to hand out the petition there, since the class I'm requesting is usually taken after it. That's a start.

E-mailed the registrar to see if they have any kind of format they would like to see. Though I'm not even sure it's going to them. I wish I could find at least one example of it being done before. But I have a template at least.

-Dave K

We did this successfully here, that's how we got a second section of analysis II for undergrads. We were told to get 20 signatures for it to even be considered, and we did, and only about 6 people ended up taking the class, but they still let us keep it. So it is at least possible.

You might want o talk to Alex about it, he was the one who organized it.

I understand the importance of data and evidence in decision-making processes. While creating a petition may be a good first step in advocating for more summer math class offerings at your university, it is important to also gather data and evidence to support your request.

One approach could be to survey students to determine the level of interest in taking upper level or math elective courses during the summer. This data can then be presented to the math department and university administration to show the demand for these classes.

Additionally, it may be helpful to gather information on the cost and feasibility of offering these classes. This can include the availability of professors to teach the courses, the necessary resources and materials, and the potential impact on the university's budget.

It is also important to consider the potential benefits of offering more summer math classes, such as allowing students to graduate earlier or providing opportunities for students to catch up on classes they may have missed during the regular school year.

In terms of the petition format, you may want to consult with your university's student government or other organizations that have experience in creating and submitting petitions. They may be able to provide guidance and support in this process.

Overall, while a petition can be a useful tool in advocating for change, it is important to also gather data and evidence to support your request. By presenting a well-informed and data-driven argument, you may have a better chance of increasing summer math class offerings at your university.

Related to Can a Petition Increase Summer Math Class Offerings at My University?

1. What is a "Petition to offer a class"?

A "Petition to offer a class" is a formal request to have a specific course added to the curriculum of a school or university. It is usually submitted by students or faculty members who believe that the proposed course is beneficial and necessary to the academic program.

2. How do I submit a "Petition to offer a class"?

The process for submitting a "Petition to offer a class" may vary depending on the institution. Generally, you will need to fill out a form and provide a detailed proposal for the course, including the title, description, learning outcomes, and resources needed. You may also need to gather signatures and support from other students or faculty members.

3. What should be included in a proposal for a "Petition to offer a class"?

A proposal for a "Petition to offer a class" should include a clear and concise description of the course, including the title, objectives, and learning outcomes. It should also outline the resources needed, such as textbooks or equipment, and any prerequisites or recommended background knowledge. Additionally, it should explain why the course is necessary and beneficial for the academic program.

4. How long does it take to get a response to a "Petition to offer a class"?

The timeframe for a response to a "Petition to offer a class" may vary depending on the institution's policies and procedures. It could take a few weeks to a few months for a decision to be made. It is best to inquire with the appropriate department or committee for an estimated timeline.

5. What if my "Petition to offer a class" is denied?

If your "Petition to offer a class" is denied, you may have the option to appeal the decision or resubmit your petition with revisions. It is essential to understand the reason for the denial and address any concerns or feedback provided by the reviewing committee. You may also consider gathering additional support and evidence to strengthen your proposal.