Can a Chaotic Three-Body System Save a Planet from Destruction?

In summary, the author is facing a technical problem with his book, and he would appreciate any advice. He is thinking of a scenario in which one of a pair of "fraternal" twin suns is about to destroy a planet containing intelligent life, but this is prevented by the formation of a plasma bridge. The author recommends trying to get a grasp of the scale of space and the distances between objects.
Athanasius
I am writing a science fiction book, and have had a lot of fun writing it so far. However, I am facing a technical astronomical problem right now that I would appreciate some advice concerning:

I am looking for a plausible scenario in which one of a pair of "fraternal" twin suns is about to destroy a planet containing intelligent life. However, an astronomical event occurs which prevents this. I was thinking of the danger to the planet coming from one of it's twin suns entering the supergiant phase, or being about to go supernova, but this being prevented by the formation of a plasma bridge. Is very close proximity the only event which could trigger the formation of a bridge like that? Also, while I would prefer for the planet to be in the habitable zone of the same solar system as the twin stars if that were possible, it could be in a neighboring solar system instead. Any guidelines or advice that any of you could share with me would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your options are pretty slim. For one thing, the evolution of a star is a natural occurrence that can't be stopped. Even if you halt this "catastrophe", the star is still undergoing changes that could severely impact the planet. For example, it could be growing bright or dimmer, redder or bluer, puffing out its outer layers, etc.

Thanks for your reply Drakkith. I am digging in more and will do a good deal more reading before asking any more questions regarding this.

Last edited:
I'd recommend trying to get a grasp of the scale of space. I mean, distances between objects are utterly unimaginable for how big the objects are. The Sun is about 1.4 million kilometers across (a little under 5 light-seconds) yet the distance between it and the nearest star, Proxima Centauri, is more than 3 light-years.

That's 1,400,000 km for the diameter of the Sun, and 30,000,000,000,000 km for the distance between it and the nearest star. That's 7 orders of magnitude difference (7 million times difference), meaning it would take about 7 million Suns placed end to end to reach Proxima Centauri.

And 3 light-years is a Sunday stroll compared to the distances across galaxies and between galaxies...

A three body problem can be chaotic. With two stars, the orbit of a planet is very difficult to predict. Perhaps the orbit of the planet comes too close to one of the stars and all life on the planet will be destroyed. This could be prevented by a collision with an asteroid, which sets the planet into another chaotic orbit. The asteroid doesn't have to be cataclysmically large-- remember that in a chaotic system, a small perturbation (butterfly's wings) can grow to a large change in the future. The residents of the planet could possibly engineer the asteroid to collide with the planet.

Related to Can a Chaotic Three-Body System Save a Planet from Destruction?

1. What Makes a Good Sci-Fi Book?

A good sci-fi book should have a well-developed and unique concept that explores a scientific or technological idea. It should also have complex and relatable characters, a thought-provoking plot, and a well-defined world.

2. How Important is Scientific Accuracy in Sci-Fi?

While scientific accuracy is important in sci-fi, it is not the most crucial aspect. The main focus should be on creating a believable and consistent world, rather than being completely scientifically accurate. However, incorporating realistic science can add depth and credibility to the story.

3. How Do I Come Up with Original Ideas for a Sci-Fi Book?

Original ideas for a sci-fi book can come from a variety of sources, such as current scientific advancements, societal issues, or your own imagination. It can also be helpful to read and watch other sci-fi works for inspiration, but be sure to put your own unique spin on the ideas.

4. Should I Focus More on Science or Fiction in My Book?

This ultimately depends on the type of sci-fi book you want to write. Some focus more on the science and technology aspects, while others prioritize the fictional elements and use science as a backdrop. It is important to find a balance that works for your story and theme.

5. How Can I Make My Sci-Fi Book Stand Out?

In order to make your sci-fi book stand out, you can incorporate unique and original ideas, create dynamic and diverse characters, and have a well-crafted plot that keeps readers engaged. Additionally, incorporating relevant and thought-provoking themes can make your book stand out in the sci-fi genre.