CAMPEP accredited graduate program and x-ray phase-imaging research

In summary: I'm not sure if that's a yes/no answer, but I would think that if you have the certification and meet the other requirements (ie Canadian citizen, permanent resident, etc), then it would be a yes.
hubert_g
Hi,

Last week I finished M.Sc. degree in Medical Physics. Now I'm pondering what to do next. I have a few questions mainly for Medical Physicsists or Medical Physics Residents:

1. Recently I got very interested in reasearch in the area of the X-ray phase-contrast imaging (PCI). As far as I could find information on it, most of PCI research is conducted in Europe or Australia. Does anybody know about such research being pursued in the US or Canada? It would suit me best if I could get into a PhD in CAMPEP accredited program and do a PCI related research.

2. What are the chances of getting into a residency after completing a PhD CAMPEP acredided program? I know market is competetive but does people with a PhD degree have big problems getting into a residency?

3. If I finish my PhD in Germany or Australia in the area of Biomedical Physics (X-ray phase-contrast imaging) and after that I will do a CAMPEP accredited certificate program (http://www.campep.org/campeplstcert.asp) will I have comparable chances of getting into a residency as after finishing PhD CAMPEP accredited graduate program?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Hubert_G,

1. Phase contrast imaging isn't really my own area of expertise. I know that the Medical Physics journal just featured an article on it though. I also know that there has been some interest in it through the Canadian Light Source - a synchrotron based in Saskatoon. There is a medical physics graduate program at the University of Saskatchewan, but I don't believe that it's accredited. I know people at the University of Alberta (which does have an accredited graduate program) who have done some collaborative work with the light source, so that might be an avenue worth investigating.

The other thing to keep in mind is while exploring your PhD options, even if there is not an existing interest that's visible online in a particular field, it's worth initiating a dialogue with potential supervisors on the topic as there may be some work or at least some interest that's not readily apparent. (Sometimes websites aren't kept as up to date as we might like to believe they are.)

2. I can't say what they will be five years down the road. In the programs that I've been affiliated with (i.e. the one that I went through and the one I currently instruct in), most PhD graduates over the last five years have been successful getting residencies. We're talking a pool of roughly a dozen graduates with one PhD graduate I know of who's had significant trouble finding a residency. I can't speak to other programs though. From what I've heard, it sounds very competitive recently.

3. Graduates of the certificate programs have been as competitive as medical physics PhD graduates.

I might also mention that if your MSc is from an accredited medical physics program, then that counts. You can do a PhD wherever you want, potentially even in a field that's not medical physics if you want, and you'll likely be just as competitive as a medical physics PhD graduate. The risk you'd be taking is that if you go outside of the field (1) you likely won't be doing any QA work, and (2) by the time you apply for a residency your medical physics coursework will be ~ 5 years out of date.

Likes 1 person
Thank you Choppy for a detailed answer.

Unfortunately my MSc is not CAMPEP accredited since I have been pursuing it in Poland. What is more, I'm not a Canadian citizen nor a permanent resident. Does a foreigner with a non-accredited PhD and a CAMPEP accredited certificate stand a chance in a residency competition?

Another thing is a recognition of certifications issued by other organisations, such as the ACPSEM (Australia), IPEM (UK), EFOMP (Europe). Are medical physicists with such certifications allowed to work in Canada?

hubert_g said:
Unfortunately my MSc is not CAMPEP accredited since I have been pursuing it in Poland. What is more, I'm not a Canadian citizen nor a permanent resident. Does a foreigner with a non-accredited PhD and a CAMPEP accredited certificate stand a chance in a residency competition?
I'm certainly not an expert in such matters. I believe you would still be competitive, particularly if your did either the PhD or the certificate or both from a Canadian program. In general though, hiring practices are to give preference to Canadian citizens or "permanent residents." I don't actually know what that latter means, but presumably it's for people who do not yet have citizenship, but have been in the country for a few years and are working towards it.

Another thing is a recognition of certifications issued by other organisations, such as the ACPSEM (Australia), IPEM (UK), EFOMP (Europe). Are medical physicists with such certifications allowed to work in Canada?
Allowed to work - yes. One little detail for Canada and through the US for states that don't require medical physicists to be licenced is that you don't technically need any certification to legally work as a medical physicist... legally speaking. Practically speaking, it's extremely difficult get a job without any certification, which is why anyone considering medical physics as a career should be aiming for it.

In general hiring practices in Canada are to seek physicists with certification through membership with the CCPM "or equivalent." The "or equivalent" will generally accept ABR or ABMP certification, but I don't know about any of the others as I don't have any personal experience with anyone who has certifications through those organizations. I suspect they would be seen as equivalent though.

Likes 1 person

I can offer some insights on your questions. First, it is great that you have a specific interest in X-ray phase-contrast imaging research. This is a rapidly growing field and has great potential for advancements in medical imaging. From my knowledge, there are definitely research groups in the US and Canada working on this area, although it may not be as prevalent as in Europe or Australia. I suggest reaching out to professors or researchers in this field in universities or research institutes in the US and Canada to get a better understanding of the current research being conducted.

Secondly, completing a PhD in a CAMPEP accredited program can definitely increase your chances of getting into a residency. These programs are recognized for their high quality education and training in medical physics, which is highly valued by residency programs. However, it is important to note that the competition for residency programs can still be tough, regardless of your degree. It is always beneficial to have a strong research background and relevant experience in your chosen field.

Lastly, completing a CAMPEP accredited certificate program after your PhD in Germany or Australia can also increase your chances of getting into a residency. These programs are designed to provide additional education and training in specific areas of medical physics and can be seen as a way to enhance your skills and knowledge. However, it is important to note that each residency program may have their own criteria for selecting candidates and it is best to research and reach out to specific programs for their requirements.

Overall, it is important to have a strong academic background, relevant research experience, and a clear understanding of your interests and goals in order to increase your chances of getting into a residency program. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Related to CAMPEP accredited graduate program and x-ray phase-imaging research

1. What is a CAMPEP accredited graduate program?

A CAMPEP accredited graduate program is a graduate program in medical physics that has been approved by the Commission on Accreditation of Medical Physics Education Programs (CAMPEP). This accreditation ensures that the program meets the highest standards for education and training in the field of medical physics.

2. Why is it important for a graduate program to be CAMPEP accredited?

Having a CAMPEP accredited graduate program is important because it ensures that students receive a high-quality education that meets the standards set by the medical physics profession. It also allows students to be eligible for certification by the American Board of Radiology, which is necessary for many job opportunities in the field.

3. What is x-ray phase-imaging research?

X-ray phase-imaging research is a type of medical imaging technique that uses the phase shift of x-rays as they pass through an object to create images. This allows for better contrast and resolution compared to traditional x-ray imaging, making it useful for studying soft tissues and detecting subtle changes in density.

4. How is x-ray phase-imaging research used in the medical field?

X-ray phase-imaging research has a wide range of applications in the medical field, including the detection and diagnosis of diseases such as cancer, osteoporosis, and cardiovascular conditions. It can also be used for non-invasive imaging of organs and tissues, as well as monitoring the effectiveness of treatments.

5. What are the benefits of pursuing research in x-ray phase-imaging in a CAMPEP accredited graduate program?

Pursuing research in x-ray phase-imaging in a CAMPEP accredited graduate program provides students with access to state-of-the-art equipment and resources, as well as highly qualified faculty who are experts in the field. This can lead to valuable research opportunities and a strong foundation for a career in medical physics or related fields.