Calculation of Permissible Jib Crane Load

In summary: Once the proper design details are obtained, the maximum bending moment in the column can be calculated using the load weight and length of the beam. This moment can then be compared to the section properties of the beam to determine the load required to fail it. A safety factor of five is recommended, but a smaller factor may be used for more advanced design skills. If the beam is hinged, the section properties and capacity will be smaller. It is recommended to consult a professional engineer for this type of design and the thread is now closed.
Day Radebaugh
Please redirect if this post is not in the right place.

I want to install a jib crane in my shop. Vertical upright is planned to be a 5" H-beam in concrete, with 12' above ground, 4' into rock below grade level. Horizontal beam will be same, 10' long. (See attached figure)

Am trying to calculate permissible load at end of horizontal beam.

I'm not an engineer. can you suggest a reference an amateur might use to calculate the load?

Thanks

Day Radebaugh

Attachments

• JibCrane.doc
    61 KB · Views: 1,161
Engineering news on Phys.org
Not enough information here to complete the design. Need to know the nature of the connection between the column and the beam, which of the H-beams you are using, and its material. This is not an offer to do the design for you, but these are important things to know before proceeding further. I'd also want to know if the beam is hinged at that connection point or not.

Your big concern assuming that all other details are correctly designed is the maximum bending moment, which will be in the column and equal to the product of the load weight and the ten feet. That will give you a moment in ft-lbf.

Then you will want to look up the section properties of the particular beam that you bought. From that, what you are looking for is a simple algerbra problem to solve for a single variable, which is the load required to fail the beam. Then I'd cut that by a safety factor of five, which is a common SF in lifting equipment. If you had more advanced design skills, then you might be comfortable with a smaller SF.

But if your beam is hinged, then you will be dealing with smaller section properties and a smaller capacity.

Day Radebaugh said:
Please redirect if this post is not in the right place.

I want to install a jib crane in my shop. Vertical upright is planned to be a 5" H-beam in concrete, with 12' above ground, 4' into rock below grade level. Horizontal beam will be same, 10' long. (See attached figure)

Am trying to calculate permissible load at end of horizontal beam.

I'm not an engineer. can you suggest a reference an amateur might use to calculate the load?

Thanks

Day Radebaugh

You should consult a professional engineer in your area. This is not the kind of thing you should try do design over the Internet. Thread is closed.

Related to Calculation of Permissible Jib Crane Load

1. What is the purpose of calculating the permissible load for a jib crane?

The calculation of permissible jib crane load is essential for ensuring the safety and efficiency of the crane. It determines the maximum weight that the crane can safely lift and move without causing damage to the crane or endangering the operator and surrounding environment.

2. What factors are considered in the calculation of permissible jib crane load?

The calculation takes into account the structural strength of the crane, including the material and design of the jib, boom, and other components. It also considers the stability of the crane's base and the load's location on the jib. Additionally, factors like wind speed, temperature, and the type of load being lifted are also taken into account.

3. How is the permissible load for a jib crane determined?

The permissible load for a jib crane is determined through a series of calculations that consider the crane's maximum lifting capacity, the strength and stability of its components, and the environmental factors at the site. These calculations are typically performed by a trained engineer and should always be based on the manufacturer's specifications and safety standards.

4. Are there any regulations or standards that dictate the permissible load for a jib crane?

Yes, there are regulations and standards set by organizations like OSHA and ASME that dictate the permissible load for jib cranes. These regulations ensure that cranes are designed, installed, and operated in a safe and efficient manner. It is important to follow these regulations and always consult with a professional engineer when determining the permissible load for a jib crane.

5. Can the permissible load for a jib crane be exceeded?

No, the permissible load for a jib crane should never be exceeded. Doing so can lead to serious safety hazards, including the collapse of the crane and potential injuries to the operator and others in the area. It is crucial to always adhere to the calculated permissible load and never attempt to lift more than what is deemed safe for the crane.