How much work is done by the crane in lifting the load?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the work done by a crane lifting a load to a certain height at a constant speed. The formula used is E = mgh and the final answer is 7.056*10^5 J. The questioner also asks if kinetic energy needs to be included, to which the responder confirms and explains the law of conservation of mechanical energy. The questioner also clarifies the formula for work and calculates the work done to be 800*9.8/90.
Sirsh
Hi, i was just wondering with this question because I'm unsure if I am supposed to add both kinetic and gravitation energy into this answer? thanks.

1 A crane on a building site lifts an 8.00 × 102 kg load from ground level to a vertical height of 90.0 m at a constant speed of 2.00 m s–1. Ignore the mass of the cable.

A. How much work is done by the crane in lifting the load through this distance?
m = 800kg h = 90m g = 9.8ms^-2

E = mgh
E = 800*9.8*90
= 7.056*10^5 J

Sirsh.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sirsh said:
Hi, i was just wondering with this question because I'm unsure if I am supposed to add both kinetic and gravitation energy into this answer? thanks.

1 A crane on a building site lifts an 8.00 × 102 kg load from ground level to a vertical height of 90.0 m at a constant speed of 2.00 m s–1. Ignore the mass of the cable.

A. How much work is done by the crane in lifting the load through this distance?
m = 800kg h = 90m g = 9.8ms^-2

E = mgh
E = 800*9.8*90
= 7.056*10^5 J

Sirsh.

Yes you also need to add the kinetic energy

Total work done = PE+KE = constant at all points in the motion (this is the law of conservation of mechanical energy)

Are you sure? supposedly it's W = F/s therefore W = mg/s, W = 800*9.8/90 ??

Related to How much work is done by the crane in lifting the load?

1. What is the purpose of a crane on a building site?

A crane is used on a building site to lift and move heavy materials and equipment to different levels of a building under construction.

2. How does a crane on a building site work?

A crane typically consists of a tower with a rotating arm, called a jib, that has a hook or other attachment at the end. The crane operator controls the movement of the jib and the hook using a series of levers and pedals.

3. What safety precautions should be taken when using a crane on a building site?

It is important for the crane operator and other workers on the building site to follow safety protocols, such as wearing hard hats and high visibility clothing, maintaining a safe distance from the crane, and following proper lifting procedures. Regular inspections and maintenance of the crane are also necessary to ensure safe operation.

4. What are the different types of cranes used on building sites?

There are several types of cranes used on building sites, including tower cranes, mobile cranes, and crawler cranes. The type of crane used depends on the specific needs and constraints of the building project.

5. How do cranes on building sites impact the environment?

The use of cranes on building sites can have both positive and negative impacts on the environment. On one hand, they can reduce the need for multiple trucks and vehicles, which can contribute to air pollution and traffic congestion. However, the construction process itself can also have a negative impact on the environment, such as noise pollution and disruption of natural habitats. Therefore, it is important for builders to take measures to minimize the environmental impact of using cranes on building sites.