Calculation for Asteroid Orbital Period

In summary, using the concept of gravitational F=centripital force=m\frac{v^2}{r} and the fact that v=\frac{2\pi r}{T}, we can find the period in years of an asteroid whose mass is 2.0*10^-2 times that of Earth's and whose distance from the sun is twice the Earth's distance from the sun. By setting the gravitational forces equal to the centripetal forces and solving for the period, we get T=\sqrt \frac{4\pi^2r^3}{GM}. The M in this equation is the mass of the sun, and since the asteroid's mass is negligible compared to the sun's, we can use only the
Saladsamurai
Of an asteroid whose Mass is 2.0*10^-2 times that of Earth's and whose distance from the sun is twice the Earth's distance from the sun. Find the period in years.

I am supposed to use the concept of gravitational F=centripital force[tex]=m\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex] and the fact that [tex]v=\frac{2\pi r}{T}[/tex]

so this is my attempt:

[tex]F_g=\frac{GMm}{r^2}=m(\frac{v^2}{r})[/tex]

implies [tex]\frac{GMm}{r^2}=\frac{m4\pi^2r}{T^2}[/tex]

implies[tex] T=\sqrt \frac{4\pi^2r^3}{GM}[/tex]

This M though is the mass of the sun correct?

Casey

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe just the acting of posting it helps, cause I got this one too. 2.8 years.

Thanks,
Casey

Yes, M is the mass of the sun and m is the asteroid in this case.

Saladsamurai said:
Maybe just the acting of posting it helps, cause I got this one too. 2.8 years.

Thanks,
Casey

Glad to hear it!:smile:

Saladsamurai said:
Of an asteroid whose Mass is 2.0*10^-2 times that of Earth's and whose distance from the sun is twice the Earth's distance from the sun. Find the period in years.

T=\sqrt \frac{4\pi^2r^3}{GM}[/tex]

This M though is the mass of the sun correct?

Properly speaking, you will probably learn in your course about Newton's generalization of Kepler's Third Law, in which case M is actually the total mass of the "system". But since the asteroid's mass is negligibly small compared to the Sun's, you get entirely satisfactory precision using the Sun's mass alone. (You'd see a slight discrepancy if we used Jupiter as the second mass; for binary stars, you *must* use the sum of the stars' masses.)

You can avoid the annoyance of needing to know G and M (or even pi!) or even worrying about units by solving a comparison ratio. Both the Earth and this asteroid orbit the Sun, so we have

T^2 for asteroid 4(pi^2)(r for asteroid ^3)/GM
______________ = _________________________

T^2 for Earth 4(pi^2)(r for Earth ^3)/GM

(this doesn't show as neatly as I'd like and I don't have a TeX manual)

or just

(T for ast. / T for Earth)^2 = (r for ast. / r for Earth)^3 .

The asteroid orbits twice as far from the Sun as the Earth does, so

(T for ast. / T for Earth)^2 = 2^3 = 8 ;

thus the asteroid's orbital period is sqrt(8) times the Earth's (which is one year) or
about 2.83 years.

The comparison ratio approach is very tidy when the problem provides the right sorts of information. The only extent to which you even deal with units is in making sure that quantities to be compared in ratios are in the same units.

dynamicsolo said:
Properly speaking, you will probably learn in your course about Newton's generalization of Kepler's Third Law, in which case M is actually the total mass of the "system". But since the asteroid's mass is negligibly small compared to the Sun's, you get entirely satisfactory precision using the Sun's mass alone. (You'd see a slight discrepancy if we used Jupiter as the second mass; for binary stars, you *must* use the sum of the stars' masses.)

You can avoid the annoyance of needing to know G and M (or even pi!) or even worrying about units by solving a comparison ratio. Both the Earth and this asteroid orbit the Sun, so we have

T^2 for asteroid 4(pi^2)(r for asteroid ^3)/GM
______________ = _________________________

T^2 for Earth 4(pi^2)(r for Earth ^3)/GM

(this doesn't show as neatly as I'd like and I don't have a TeX manual)

or just

(T for ast. / T for Earth)^2 = (r for ast. / r for Earth)^3 .

The asteroid orbits twice as far from the Sun as the Earth does, so

(T for ast. / T for Earth)^2 = 2^3 = 8 ;

thus the asteroid's orbital period is sqrt(8) times the Earth's (which is one year) or
about 2.83 years.

The comparison ratio approach is very tidy when the problem provides the right sorts of information. The only extent to which you even deal with units is in making sure that quantities to be compared in ratios are in the same units.

Nice one dynamicsolo. I like how you saw a proportion in this; I have a hard time seeing thise right off the bat. When I drew a diagram of this I had a feeling I could do something to this affect, but I have never been good at proportions.

I need to go ahead and find some more problem like this so I can learn how to spot ratios better.

I always like it when somebody reads through a post; sees that the OP has been answered and has the solution; and still takes the time to show the OP another way it could have been solved. PF rocks!:smile:

Thanks again,
Casey

Related to Calculation for Asteroid Orbital Period

What is an asteroid orbital period?

An asteroid orbital period is the amount of time it takes for an asteroid to complete one full orbit around the sun.

How is the orbital period of an asteroid calculated?

The orbital period of an asteroid can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(a^3/GM), where T is the orbital period, a is the semi-major axis of the asteroid's orbit, G is the gravitational constant, and M is the mass of the sun.

What is the semi-major axis of an asteroid's orbit?

The semi-major axis is the longest radius of an elliptical orbit. In simpler terms, it is the average distance between the asteroid and the sun.

Can the orbital period of an asteroid change?

Yes, the orbital period of an asteroid can change due to various factors such as gravitational interactions with other celestial bodies, collisions, and the Yarkovsky effect (the gradual change in an asteroid's orbit due to the emission of thermal radiation).

How do scientists use asteroid orbital periods?

Scientists use asteroid orbital periods to track and predict the movements of asteroids in our solar system. This information is crucial for understanding the potential impact of asteroids on Earth and for planning space missions to study or deflect potentially hazardous asteroids.