Calculating Work Done by Gravity and Air Resistance on a Falling Raindrop

In summary, the problem involves a 4.35 * 10^-5kg raindrop falling 76m under the influence of gravity and air resistance. The task is to find the work done by gravity and air resistance in units of J. To solve this, one must first use the formula W=Fs to find the work done by gravity, using a=9.8m/s^2 as the acceleration. Then, using the information found, one can find the work done by air resistance. However, with the limited information provided, it is difficult to determine the exact method for finding the work done by air resistance.
shakejuhn
i am doing my hoem work and this question is confusing the hell outta me.

A 4.35 * 10^-5kg raindrop falls vertically at constant speed under the influence of gravity and air resistance. After the drop has fallen 76m, what is the work done by gravity? After J is found for gravity, what is the work done by air resistance in units of J.

i have no idea wheer to sart or what formula to plug into or even what laws to apply.

can some one please show me a set of detailed instrusctions on how to find these to answers.

thanks in advance for all of your help, bless all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well i would have thought they would give you either a time amount or a radius of the drop, otherwise i can't see a way to solve it.

if you have a time value you can work out how far it should fall under normal gravitational conditions, and compare it to how far it did fall and use the difference to work out the energy used.

nope its was not in the question, all i got was the weight of the drop.

this is so confusing.

First of all, what is work?

it does not say what work is.

its a 2 part problem.

i know first i must find the work done by gravity after the drop has fallen 76m

after i find that i use the information i found to find J done by air resistance.

i hope this makes it a little bit clearer so i can get some kind of help.

thanks again all.

Work is the intergral of a force function. So you use f=ma to get the work done by gravity. as for the work done by air resistance i have no idea with this amount of info

i still confused, i use teh formula F=MA

where

M= 4.35*10^-5

what would A be, it says that the drop fall at a constant speed.

Work is force applied through a distance. Here W=F*s, where F is the magnitude of the force on the drop and s is the distance, because the force and direction of travel are constant. The fact that the droplet is falling at a constant speed is a hint that the air resistance balances its weight.

ok so if i go W= F * S

i get

W= 76* 4.35*10^-5

is this setup correct?

what would A be, it says that the drop fall at a constant speed.

You're right, there is no net acceleration. But, there is still work being done by gravity, so you should use a=9.8m/s^2. When trying to find the air resistance, keep in mind what you said about the drop falls at a constant speed, no net acceleration (what does this tell you about the net force).

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Work Done by Gravity and Air Resistance on a Falling Raindrop

1. What is RainDrop + air resistance?

RainDrop + air resistance refers to the effect of air resistance on falling raindrops. As raindrops fall through the air, they experience resistance from the air molecules, which can affect their speed and trajectory.

2. How does air resistance impact the shape of a raindrop?

Air resistance can cause a raindrop to flatten out as it falls. This is because the air molecules push against the bottom of the raindrop, causing it to spread out and become more spherical in shape.

3. Does the size of a raindrop affect its air resistance?

Yes, the size of a raindrop does affect its air resistance. Larger raindrops have a greater surface area and will experience more resistance from the air as they fall, which can cause them to fall more slowly and potentially change their shape.

4. Can air resistance affect the speed at which a raindrop falls?

Yes, air resistance can affect the speed at which a raindrop falls. The amount of air resistance a raindrop experiences is dependent on its size and shape, which can impact its speed and trajectory as it falls through the air.

5. How does air resistance impact the overall amount of rainfall?

Air resistance can impact the amount of rainfall by slowing down the falling raindrops and potentially causing them to evaporate before reaching the ground. This can result in less rainfall reaching the surface, affecting the overall amount of precipitation in an area.