Conservation of Energy: work done by air resistance on rock

In summary, the rock is thrown with a speed of 30.0 m/s and has a speed of 22.5 m/s just before it strikes the ground. The work done by air resistance is 63.3J.
Honey Bee

Homework Statement

A 250 gram rock is thrown with a speed of 30.0 m/s. It has a speed of 22.5 m/s just before it strikes the ground. Determine the work done by air resistance.

There is also a diagram which yields more information. The rocks path is horizontal and it strikes the corner of a box that is 4.60 meters tall, ricocheting the rock at a 25 degree angle. (That is, the ball is projected at a 25 degree angle from a height of 4.6 meters).

Homework Equations

Ei+Pi=Kf+Pf+(work done by air resistance)

The Attempt at a Solution

Kf=63.3J, Ki=113J Pf=0, Pi=?

I am having difficulty with the idea of the horizontal path the rock travels and the gravitational potential energy... As well as what exactly to do with the the angle of projection. I understand that I need the initial and final conditions only... but this one is really stumping me. I thank you all in advance for your considerations and help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Honey Bee,

Welcome to Physics Forums! :smile:

I'm having trouble understanding the path. The problem statement says the rock strikes the ground, but then you say it strikes the corner of a box? Does the rock launched from a height of 4.60 m off the ground or does it land at an elevation 4.60 m off the ground, or both? Or does this collision with the box happen somewhere in between the time it is launched until the time it hits the ground?

Is there any way you could attach that figure? Are you sure the figure is for the same problem? (The problem statement and your description of the figure don't seem to match.)

Can we assume the collision with the box is perfectly elastic?

Likes collinsmark
Ah I am sorry. So as the diagram appears, The rock is thrown 4.6 meters above the ground and is traveling horizontally. It then collides with the corner of the box and ricochets off at a 25 degree angle, taking a parabolic path to the ground.

I am not sure about the collision. There is a decrease in its velocity from when it is thrown to just before it strikes the ground, so I imagine it is not perfectly elastic. But that is all the information given.

Here is the diagram. I am a newb and did not realize I could do this or I would have on my original post.

kFsCxdS.jpg

I guess you have to neglect the fact that nothing can be thrown that travels perfectly horizontally or just neglect this portion of the work done by air friction.

I would recommend to break the problem into two components: x and y directions.

Honey Bee said:
Ah I am sorry. So as the diagram appears, The rock is thrown 4.6 meters above the ground and is traveling horizontally. It then collides with the corner of the box and ricochets off at a 25 degree angle, taking a parabolic path to the ground.

I am not sure about the collision. There is a decrease in its velocity from when it is thrown to just before it strikes the ground, so I imagine it is not perfectly elastic. But that is all the information given.

Here is the diagram. I am a newb and did not realize I could do this or I would have on my original post.

kFsCxdS.jpg

If you were to ask me, it looks like that horizontal line is just a reference to show that the 25.0 deg angle is with respect to the horizontal. In other words, the horizontal line is not part of the rock's path; it's just there for reference. I don't think there is a collision at all. To me it looks like the rock is initially launched, with its full initial speed, from a height of 4.60 meters.

So now apply your conservation of energy equation that you listed in the initial post. You've already calculated the kinetic energies (you might want to be more careful about your precision/rounding, btw.) You should have enough information now to calculate the potential energies.

Last edited:
AH HAH! Man... Now I feel like a complete dumb dumb. THANK YOU so much... I believe you are correct. I shall work it out now.

I swear... physics is the easiest thing to over complicate.

Likes collinsmark

Related to Conservation of Energy: work done by air resistance on rock

What is the definition of conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed but can only be transformed from one form to another.

What is work done by air resistance?

Work done by air resistance is the force exerted by air molecules on an object as it moves through the air. This force opposes the motion of the object and results in energy being dissipated as heat.

How does air resistance affect the work done on a rock?

Air resistance can decrease the amount of work done on a rock as it falls. As the rock moves through the air, the force of air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the rock's motion, reducing the overall work done on the rock.

Why is it important to consider air resistance when studying conservation of energy?

Air resistance is an important factor to consider when studying conservation of energy because it can significantly affect the amount of work done on an object and the transformation of energy. Ignoring air resistance can lead to inaccurate calculations and predictions.

How can we minimize the impact of air resistance on the work done on a rock?

To minimize the impact of air resistance on the work done on a rock, one can reduce its surface area and streamline its shape to decrease the force of air resistance. Additionally, increasing the mass of the rock can help overcome the force of air resistance and maintain its speed and kinetic energy.