Calculating Radiation Propagation with Cs-137

In summary, radiation propagates in an inverse square law. The radiation emitted from a radioactive source will reflect off of surfaces, but there are exceptions.
tuoni
I am trying to do a simple calculation on radiation propagation using Cs-137 as an example.

Cs-137 has the following properties:

• Activity = 3.400e+15 Bq/kg
  • Decay energy = 188.096e-12 J (1.174 MeV)

This results in 639.526e+03 J/s of radiation, which is then inversly proportional to the distance from the source (or is it squared...I think that was for intensity...?). But...this is at distance 0, so it doesn't work. Could I perhaps somehow use the cross-sectional area of the nuclei?

I have a PDF document with algorithms for more accurately calculating radiation propagation, with the specific distance propagated and taking into account absorption by a medium etc., but first I would like to understand the basics. Primarily the inversly proportional thingy, as the energies aren't reference distance at 1 m (or any other reference distance), but at s=0.

From there on I should then be able to calculate the absorbed dose, and then the equivalent dose.

Science news on Phys.org
Assuming the source is emitting in all directions - it isn't in a sheilded housing with a window - then it must be the square of the distance.
Think of concentric spheres around the source, the same number of particles must go through each sphere but the surface area is the square of the radius.

Cs-137 has two types of radiation, a 661 KeV photon and a 512 KeV (max energy) beta- (95%); and a 1.174 MeV (max energy) beta w/o photon(5%). The betas and the photon obey different absorption characteristics in tissue.
1 Rad = 100 ergs per gram of absorbed dose, and
1 erg = 10-7 joules

mgb_phys said:
Assuming the source is emitting in all directions - it isn't in a sheilded housing with a window - then it must be the square of the distance.
Think of concentric spheres around the source, the same number of particles must go through each sphere but the surface area is the square of the radius.

Does radiation behave similarly to a sound source? I.e. is the directivity coefficient the same?

tuoni said:
Does radiation behave similarly to a sound source? I.e. is the directivity coefficient the same?
Any source that emits equally in all directions is going to have an inverse square law - just from the pure geometry example given above.

mgb_phys said:
Any source that emits equally in all directions is going to have an inverse square law - just from the pure geometry example given above.

I'm talking about shielding/reflection, being a radiant source, would a radioactive source placed in the corner of three surfaces be stronger than a source placed in an open field?

Something similar to http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/directivity-coefficient-sound-d_67.html

Or does ionising radiation not reflect that well off common surfaces/materials?

Last edited:
In general, radiation from radioactive sources (photons, betas, alphas, neutrons) does not reflect at all off of any surface, but there are exceptions. Neutron sources (PuBe or plutonium-beryllium) are reflected. Also, photon sources, like from Cs-137, do "reflect" some scattered Compton gamma rays, often referred to as backscattered x-rays. See
http://www.larrylawson.net/compton.htm
Another "backscatter" source could be positrons from beta+ decay, where the positrons annihilate with electrons and emit isotropic 511-KeV gammas.

Related to Calculating Radiation Propagation with Cs-137

1. How is radiation propagation calculated using Cs-137?

The calculation of radiation propagation using Cs-137 involves determining the intensity of radiation at a specific distance from a source, taking into account factors such as the half-life of Cs-137 and the inverse square law.

2. What is the half-life of Cs-137?

The half-life of Cs-137 is approximately 30 years. This means that it takes 30 years for half of the Cs-137 atoms in a sample to decay into other elements.

3. What is the inverse square law and how does it relate to radiation propagation?

The inverse square law states that the intensity of radiation is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. This means that as the distance from the source increases, the intensity of radiation decreases. This is important to consider when calculating radiation propagation with Cs-137.

4. What units are used to measure radiation intensity?

Radiation intensity is typically measured in units of Becquerels (Bq) or curies (Ci). These units represent the number of radioactive decays per second.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when working with Cs-137 for radiation propagation calculations?

Yes, it is important to follow all safety protocols when working with any radioactive material. This may include wearing protective gear, working in a designated radiation area, and properly disposing of all materials after use.