Is Cs-137 Effective for Calibrating Vintage Geiger Counters?

In summary: I'm not sure how accurate the decay models are, but it's worth checking.In summary, the old meter needs to be calibrated with a Cs-137 source to get accurate readings.
mfr1003
So I have a bit of a story here. First of all, I work in my university's radiation safety department, where, among other things, I calibrate Geiger Counters. I also passed Modern Physics (Physics III), so I got some education on radioactive decay.

I have an old Counter from 1962, a Victoreen CDV-715, the one from the Civilian Defense boxes, model 1A. I replaced the battery, and it works, but it hasn't been calibrated since 1988. I calibrate meters all the time, but I use Cs-137 sources, in the mCi range, when first installed in 1992. My problem is that this meter requires Gamma sources to calibrated, and Cs-137 only has about 5.6% chance to decay the the meta-stable Ba-137, half-life about 3 minutes. Only in meta-stable Barium will it give off gamma radiation, .992 MeV worth. Does anyone who also deals with this stuff have a thought as to how I might go about using the Cs-137 sources to successfully calibrate this old meter? I can got it working, but wouldn't it be neat to get it FUNCTIONAL? Then when I get my hands on other old meters my office is throwing away, I can fix them as well!

I don't have the exact activity from the 6 sources I use to calibrate meters right now, but I can get all that info tomorrow. I'm just not at work right now. I can get their activity at any date, even in the future, as predicted by their decay models. I have all the formulas about activity and decay rates and distances and the like, I just need someone's input to put all these pieces together.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry about that

I meant .662 MeV of Gamma decay energy. Mistype. Also, I know that if the counter only picks up Gamma radiation, it won't be affected by the β- decay from the Cs-137, I just want to walk through all this logically before I stick it up on the rolling rack and start shooting rays at it. Also, I do have the manual for it.

Last edited:
Well, the direct gamma emission is easy - there is an equilibrium of Ba-137, so 5.6% of the beta-decays lead to a direct gamma decay. On the other hand, your high-energetic electrons can produce gamma rays, too, so you probably get some background.

Wikipedia has different numbers for the decay probabilities.

Related to Is Cs-137 Effective for Calibrating Vintage Geiger Counters?

1. What is Cs-137 and how is it used as a gamma source?

Cs-137, or cesium-137, is a radioactive isotope commonly used in industrial and medical applications as a gamma source. Gamma sources emit high-energy electromagnetic radiation, which can be used for sterilization, radiography, and cancer treatment.

2. How is Cs-137 produced?

Cs-137 is primarily produced as a byproduct of nuclear fission reactions in nuclear reactors. It can also be produced through the neutron activation of stable cesium-136 in a nuclear reactor or through the decay of other radioactive isotopes.

3. What are the dangers of Cs-137 as a gamma source?

Cs-137 is a highly radioactive material and can be dangerous if not handled properly. Exposure to high levels of gamma radiation can cause radiation sickness, burns, and even death. It is important to follow proper safety protocols when working with Cs-137.

4. How long does Cs-137 remain radioactive?

The half-life of Cs-137 is approximately 30 years, meaning that it takes 30 years for half of the original amount to decay. However, it can take up to 10 half-lives (approximately 300 years) for the material to completely decay. Therefore, it is important to properly dispose of Cs-137 to prevent long-term environmental contamination.

5. What are some common uses of Cs-137 as a gamma source?

Cs-137 is commonly used in industrial radiography to inspect welds and other structural components for flaws. It is also used in medical settings for cancer treatment through a process called brachytherapy. Additionally, it is used in the sterilization of medical equipment and food products.