Calculating Maximum Linear Charge Density in Geiger Tube

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a Geiger tube for detecting radiation in a nuclear physics laboratory. The tube is to be filled with a dilute gas and must not experience breakdown when the electric field reaches a certain strength. The maximum linear charge density on the wire is determined by using the wire's radius instead of the cylinder's radius due to the electrical field being strongest by the surface of the wire. The given radius of the cylinder is only used to mislead and has no other purpose.
doubled

Homework Statement

For your senior project, you are designing a Geiger tube for detecting radiation in the nuclear physics laboratory. This instrument will consist of a long metal cylindrical tube that has a long straight metal wire running down its central axis. The diameter of the wire will be 0.450 mm and the inside diameter of the tube will be 4.20 cm. The tube is to be filled with a dilute gas in which an electrical discharge (breakdown of the gas) occurs when the electric field reaches 5.55 106 N/C. Determine the maximum linear charge density on the wire if breakdown of the gas is not to happen. Assume that the tube and the wire are infinitely long.

I'm not really interested in the answer, it's just the process I don't know how to do for this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org

actually I found out how to do it, but can someone explain to me why we use the radius of the wire instead of cylinder to get our answer? What's the point of giving the radius of the cylinder then?

XP I suppose I'm probably too late to be helpful now, but it's because the electrical field is strongest by the surface of the wire. If we used the radius of the cylinder, the electrical field everywhere else on the inside would be strong enough to cause an electrical discharge. The only point of it is to mislead I guess.

Related to Calculating Maximum Linear Charge Density in Geiger Tube

What is a Geiger tube and how does it work?

A Geiger tube is a type of radiation detector that is used to measure ionizing radiation. It consists of a cylindrical tube filled with a gas, typically helium or argon, at a low pressure. When radiation enters the tube, it ionizes the gas particles, creating a small electrical current that can be measured.

What is maximum linear charge density and why is it important?

Maximum linear charge density is the maximum amount of charge that can be collected per unit length of the Geiger tube. This measurement is important because it determines the sensitivity and efficiency of the tube in detecting radiation. A higher maximum linear charge density means the tube is more sensitive to radiation and can detect smaller amounts of it.

How is maximum linear charge density calculated?

The maximum linear charge density is calculated by dividing the maximum pulse height, which is the maximum voltage output of the tube, by the tube length. This value is typically given in units of volts per centimeter (V/cm).

What factors can affect the maximum linear charge density in a Geiger tube?

The maximum linear charge density can be affected by a variety of factors, including the type of gas used in the tube, the tube's operating voltage, and the tube's physical dimensions. Additionally, the type and energy of the radiation being detected can also impact the maximum linear charge density.

How can the maximum linear charge density be optimized?

To optimize the maximum linear charge density, the type of gas and operating voltage should be carefully chosen based on the type of radiation being detected. Additionally, the tube's physical dimensions should be optimized for maximum efficiency. Regular maintenance and calibration of the tube can also help maintain a high maximum linear charge density.