Charge needed to ionize the air

In summary: I understand now that the smaller the radius, the larger the electric field will be, so the smallest possible value for r should be used to calculate the charge necessary to ionize the air. Therefore, the charge on the inner wire would need to be approximately 0.0000000000002 coulombs in order to produce an electric field of 3e6 volts/meter.
Lee33

Homework Statement

A Geiger tube contains a long thin metal wire, surrounded by a concentric long narrow metal tube. Insulating spokes hold the wire in the center of the tube and prevent electrical contact between the wire and the tube. A variable power supply is connected to the device. The power supply maintains opposite charges on the wire and the tube.

a. The electric field in the space between the wire and the outer tube is due only to the wire. When the electric field at any location in air reaches 3e6 volts/meter, the air ionizes and becomes a conductor. For the tube, the length L = 80 cm, the inner radius r = 0.7 mm, and the outer radius R = 2.5 cm. How much charge would there need to be on the inner wire in order to ionize the air near the wire (where the field is largest)?

Homework Equations

##E = \frac{2K(Q/L)}{r}, \ r<< L##

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I treat the tube as a rod? I am not sure how I can go about doing this problem. If I treat the tube as a rod then I can use the equation given above to find the charge necessary to ionize the air. Is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lee33 said:

Homework Statement

A Geiger tube contains a long thin metal wire, surrounded by a concentric long narrow metal tube. Insulating spokes hold the wire in the center of the tube and prevent electrical contact between the wire and the tube. A variable power supply is connected to the device. The power supply maintains opposite charges on the wire and the tube.

a. The electric field in the space between the wire and the outer tube is due only to the wire. When the electric field at any location in air reaches 3e6 volts/meter, the air ionizes and becomes a conductor. For the tube, the length L = 80 cm, the inner radius r = 0.7 mm, and the outer radius R = 2.5 cm. How much charge would there need to be on the inner wire in order to ionize the air near the wire (where the field is largest)?

Homework Equations

##E = \frac{2K(Q/L)}{r}, \ r<< L##

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I treat the tube as a rod? I am not sure how I can go about doing this problem. If I treat the tube as a rod then I can use the equation given above to find the charge necessary to ionize the air. Is that correct?
Treat the wire as a rod.

Ah, yes, that is what I meant. That was a mistake by me, I meant wire instead of tube. But if I do treat it as a rod then

##E = \frac{2K(Q/L)}{r}##

##Q = \frac{rLE}{2K} = \frac{(0.8m)(3e6v/m)r}{2(9e9)}##, where ##v/m## is volts per meter.

Is that correct? If so, what will be my ##r##?

Lee33 said:
Ah, yes, that is what I meant. That was a mistake by me, I meant wire instead of tube. But if I do treat it as a rod then

##E = \frac{2K(Q/L)}{r}##

##Q = \frac{rLE}{2K} = \frac{(0.8m)(3e6v/m)r}{2(9e9)}##, where ##v/m## is volts per meter.

Is that correct? If so, what will be my ##r##?
What value of r will give the greatest value for the electric field?

Since the wire has a radius of 0.7 mm then will my r be 0.0007 m?

Lee33 said:
Since the wire has a radius of 0.7 mm then will my r be 0.0007 m?

Yes.

Likes 1 person
Thank you!

Related to Charge needed to ionize the air

1. What is the charge needed to ionize the air?

The exact charge needed to ionize the air varies depending on factors such as air pressure, humidity, and temperature. However, on average, it takes about 3,000 volts of electricity to ionize the air.

2. How does electricity ionize the air?

Electricity creates ions in the air by stripping electrons from neutral particles. This process is known as ionization and it creates positively and negatively charged particles in the air.

3. What are the effects of ionized air?

Ionized air can have various effects, including improving air quality by neutralizing harmful particles and reducing static electricity. It can also have potential health benefits for some individuals, such as reducing allergies and improving mood.

4. Can ionized air be dangerous?

In most cases, ionized air is not dangerous. However, in high concentrations, it can cause discomfort and irritation to the respiratory system. Additionally, in industrial settings, ionized air can be a fire hazard if not properly controlled.

5. How is ionized air used in technology?

Ionized air is used in various technologies, such as air purifiers, electrostatic precipitators, and air ionizers. It is also used in some industrial processes to neutralize static electricity and improve air quality.