Calculating Mass of Half Disc Plate with Proportional Density | Physics Homework

In summary: I get the same result as u .In summary, the problem involves finding the mass of a half disc with radius a and density that is directly proportional to the distance of the straight edge of the plate. The integral is set up using polar coordinates and the region of integration is a half circle. The correct answer is k(a^3)/3, which is different from the answer given in the book.
chetzread

Homework Statement

A plate is in the form of half disc of radius a and placed at positive y-axis. Given that the density of plate is directly proportional to the distance of the straight edge of the plate . Find the mass

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

$$\int_{0}^\pi \int_{0}^a\ kyr \, dr \, d\theta$$

i gt the ans is 2k(a^3)/3 , but the ans is k(a^3)/3

P/s : density is directly proportional to ky
[/B]

Attachments

• 423.png
    423.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't seem to have anything in there to represent the fact that ##y## describes a half disc. You could for example define ##y## as a function of ##x##, or convert to polar coordinates and define ##y## as a function of ##r## and ##\theta##.

Likes chetzread
Jonathan Scott said:
You don't seem to have anything in there to represent the fact that ##y## describes a half disc. You could for example define ##y## as a function of ##x##, or convert to polar coordinates and define ##y## as a function of ##r## and ##\theta##.
The limits of integration of the polar integral show that the region of integration is a half circle.
chetzread said:

Homework Statement

A plate is in the form of half disc of radius a and placed at positive y-axis. Given that the density of plate is directly proportional to the distance of the straight edge of the plate . Find the mass

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

$$\int_{0}^\pi \int_{0}^a\ kyr \, dr \, d\theta$$

i gt the ans is 2k(a^3)/3 , but the ans is k(a^3)/3

P/s : density is directly proportional to ky
I get the same answer as you do, so either we have both made the same mistake, or there is an error in the book's answer.

In your integral above, you show y in the integrand. I assume that you changed this to ##r\sin \theta## in your work.

Likes chetzread
Mark44 said:
The limits of integration of the polar integral show that the region of integration is a half circle.

I get the same answer as you do, so either we have both made the same mistake, or there is an error in the book's answer.

In your integral above, you show y in the integrand. I assume that you changed this to ##r\sin \theta## in your work.
Yes , I use X = R cos theta , and y = r sin theta

Related to Calculating Mass of Half Disc Plate with Proportional Density | Physics Homework

1. How do you calculate the mass of a half disc plate with proportional density?

To calculate the mass of a half disc plate with proportional density, you will need to know the formula for density, which is mass divided by volume. You will also need to know the formula for the volume of a half disc, which is 1/2 * π * r^2 * h, where r is the radius and h is the height. Once you have these values, you can plug them into the formula for density to calculate the mass.

2. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a half disc?

The formula for calculating the volume of a half disc is 1/2 * π * r^2 * h, where r is the radius and h is the height. This formula takes into account the shape of a half disc and calculates the volume based on its dimensions.

3. Can the density of a half disc plate vary?

Yes, the density of a half disc plate can vary if the material used to make the plate has varying densities. However, if the material is consistent throughout the plate, then the density will also be consistent.

4. What units should be used for the radius and height when calculating the volume of a half disc?

The units used for the radius and height when calculating the volume of a half disc should be consistent. For example, if the radius is measured in meters, then the height should also be measured in meters. This will ensure that the final volume is in cubic meters.

5. How can the mass of a half disc plate with proportional density be useful in real-world applications?

The mass of a half disc plate with proportional density can be useful in various real-world applications, such as in construction and engineering projects. Knowing the mass of a half disc plate can help determine the strength and stability of a structure and aid in making design decisions. It can also be useful in transportation, as the mass of a half disc plate can affect the overall weight and balance of a vehicle or machinery.