Find center of mass of the lamina

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the center of mass of a lamina with a density proportional to the distance from the origin. It is rewritten in polar coordinates and the x coordinate is found to be 0 by symmetry. The mass integral is redone and the correct answer is found. The Momentx is also calculated correctly.
MeMoses

Homework Statement

Find the center of mass of the lamina which occupies if the density at any point is proportional to the distance from the origin.

36 <= x^2+y^2 <= 81, y >= 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Rewrote it in polars to get 6<r<9. The x is clearly 0 as you can see from symmetry, but I can't get y. The total mas should be 45pi/2 takeing the integral of r dr d(theta) with 0<theta<pi and 6<r<9. And to find y I need to take the Momentx/mass, but I am not getting the right answer. For momentx I took the double integral of r**2*sin(theta) with the same limits to get 342. Can you see where I'm going wrong. Also density=k*r but that just leaves an extra k on mass and Mx which cancel. Any help would be great

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the x coordinate is 0, by symmetry. The integration, using polar coordinates, will be with r= 6 to 9 and [itex]\theta= 0[/itex] to [itex]\pi[/itex].

I suggest you do the mass integral over again. I get much more then "45/pi/2".

I do get the same thing for Momentx as you did.

Last edited by a moderator:
I it turns out I just forgot an r in my integrals, just another careless mistake.

Related to Find center of mass of the lamina

What is the concept of center of mass?

The center of mass of a lamina is the point at which the entire mass of the lamina can be considered to be concentrated. It is the average position of all the individual masses that make up the object.

How is the center of mass of a lamina calculated?

The center of mass can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the coordinates of all the individual masses. This involves multiplying the mass of each small element by its distance from the chosen axis, and then dividing the sum of these products by the total mass of the lamina.

What is the importance of finding the center of mass?

The center of mass is an important concept in physics and engineering as it helps in understanding the stability and motion of objects. It also plays a crucial role in determining the balance and equilibrium of a system.

Can the center of mass be outside the physical boundaries of the lamina?

Yes, the center of mass can be outside the physical boundaries of the lamina if the shape of the lamina is asymmetrical. In such cases, the center of mass may lie in empty space and not necessarily within the boundaries of the object.

How does the center of mass change with the position and shape of the lamina?

The center of mass changes with the position and shape of the lamina. If the lamina is symmetrical, the center of mass will be at its geometrical center. However, if the shape is asymmetrical, the center of mass will shift accordingly. Similarly, changing the position of the lamina will also affect the center of mass.